1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
reasonable suggestion. good insight for a collingwood supporter presumably vic. still think we will target top midfield talent tho. high draft picks are often needed for class and pacey mids which is our requirement. we really need pick 2 in this draft.

Yeah you guys might be able to secure more than Jamie Bennell now with bottom place secured but from what i've been hearing about trading out of pick 4 for something more immediate I see something like this eventuating. Not necessarily the players suggested involved, but with that type of idea used with a team who will have a pick in the mid teens as a way to downtrade picks in order to add Lamb and add an additional desirable player to your list.

I really rate Gaff myself and view him as the standout guy at no.4, no doubt in my mind. But I see enough quality midfielders on your list and with another forward as probably a greater need it could be an option.

There is also talk that Daniel Wells might want to move West. Not so sure he will myself, but that could be an interesting possibility also which over the comming weeks I'm sure more will be heard about.

A final possibility could be. Trading pick 4 for pick 6 + Sherman. Sherman is on the outer in Brisbane. Luke Power is getting on in years in Brisbane and Gaff is very much a direct replacement for Power. With the possibility of Gaff and Atley being off the draft board by pick 6 they might explore trading up into pick 4 which may not be a bad thing. So this could very well mean you get one of Gorringe/ Atley with pick 6. Atley is very desirable and would be an outstanding fit, just like Gaff would. Gorringe I also don't mind either for this team because he would be the ideal backup ruckman for Nic Nat and very well might make offloading Cox a far more viable possibility after having added another ruckman. Gorringe is for a ruckman very good when pushed forward so I wouldn't discount him as a backup ruck option for a moment. Would make for a super athletic/ crazy ruck division and dare I say would really be very exciting to watch, I think they would both be very much suited to your ground in combination considering the things they both can do.

Also for those screaming for Darling. I probably wouldn't. Would replicate Kennedy far too much. He is more a centre half forward. I'm also quite critical of his upside, he hasn't grown at all since 08 champs (vertical). So that indicates that he is very physically developed now and has very little to come which is concerning, leaving him a slightly undersized (height) forward. Certainly in season 1 he will come out as one of the best rookies, I have no doubt, but I don't have great faith in him developing into the next "Jonathan Brown" even though they both do share a similar style of play.

I think the average height of the WAFL player is a lot smaller than afl which makes him look taller. Its a double edged sword though as well, if he has grown 2-3cm opposition recruiters would be more inclined to take him.

It'll be interesting to see his height when measured at draft camp. If he has grown 2 or more cm, he'll be red hot property. I think there's a few clubs that want him as a 1st rounder regardless.

We need Darling. We have no target deep at FF. We need the next Johno Brown.

The commentary team on ABC made a call on the resemblance between J.Brown and Darling. Did they mean that in the looks department or the play style? He's got the body and the bustling type to be similar.

What's everyones thoughts about getting Mitch Clark back home???

The bleeding obvious tonight is that we have no Full Forward and we need a replacement for Coxy. Also remember Clark was very unlucky not to get AA last year and Brisbane do have a surplus of rucks.

now that we have pick 4 i think our only options should be
gaff, atley and darling (gorringe not worth a pick 4 and we really don't need another ruckman or an immobile forward we should just use a later pick for a project ruckman)

very interesting who we take. i think we will take darling if he grows to 192cm. ridiculous i know what a difference 2cm will make to his draft position but its how it works.

or any of the top 3 if they were to slide. not gonna happen.

The bleeding obvious tonight is that we have no Full Forward and we need a replacement for Coxy. Also remember Clark was very unlucky not to get AA last year and Brisbane do have a surplus of rucks.

Clark is well and truly settled in at Brisbane. He won't leave since he has a wife from Brisbane. He'd also cost far too much also.

If WC want Clark, they'll need to hire Orlando Bloom and a P.I, and set up an incriminating situation. Other than that, he'll stay at Brisbane.

now that we have pick 4 i think our only options should be
gaff, atley and darling (gorringe not worth a pick 4 and we really don't need another ruckman or an immobile forward we should just use a later pick for a project ruckman)

very interesting who we take. i think we will take darling if he grows to 192cm. ridiculous i know what a difference 2cm will make to his draft position but its how it works.

or any of the top 3 if they were to slide. not gonna happen.

Gorringe is very mobile for a guy his size. He's no lumbering Ruckman. He's shown at U18's that he can take a grab and even crumb a spill to kick goals.

That said, I'm not yet positive on who WC should take. WC have about 6 needs, and 3 of them I'd prefer coming from the 1st round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gorringe is very mobile for a guy his size. He's no lumbering Ruckman. He's shown at U18's that he can take a grab and even crumb a spill to kick goals.

That said, I'm not yet positive on who WC should take. WC have about 6 needs, and 3 of them I'd prefer coming from the 1st round.

good for his size but still not more mobile than the avrge full forward these days. not worth pick 4 if we had pick 8 then yer. 3 needs for first rounder? is that meant to be ruckman? coz if so we don't need a first rounder especially with nic nat second rounder would defs do. rucks are normally late bloomers and therefore often cheap in the draft. first round needs i thought would just be gun midfielder preferably outside (atley/bennell if available) and a full forward (darling/day if available). i think we should really trade a gun senior to get more picks in this draft. whether it be glass cox or kerr i don't really care.

good for his size but still not more mobile than the avrge full forward these days. not worth pick 4 if we had pick 8 then yer. 3 needs for first rounder? is that meant to be ruckman? coz if so we don't need a first rounder especially with nic nat second rounder would defs do. rucks are normally late bloomers and therefore often cheap in the draft. first round needs i thought would just be gun midfielder preferably outside (atley/bennell if available) and a full forward (darling/day if available). i think we should really trade a gun senior to get more picks in this draft. whether it be glass cox or kerr i don't really care.

You're correct that Gorringe is not any more mobile than most other FF's. What make's him a contender for such a high pick is that he's a very good tap ruckman, as well as a goal kicking tall, who can competently hold down FF.
By selecting Gorringe, WC kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They get their needed FF, aswell as a back up to Naita.
Gorringe will go higher than 8 come draft day. Most clubs will want him, but not have the draft pick to get him.

3 needs for 1st rounders would come in the form of a FF and a couple of outside mids. WC always seem to wait until the 3rd or late in the 2nd to recruit such types. Houlihan and Rosa aren't going to get the job done and aren't the guys to take the team forward, despite their improvement.
I think we're on the same page when it comes to what WC need to use 1st rounders on.

WC obviously won't complete their drafting needs this year. In the 2011 and 2012 drafts, the rebuild should be completed. WC can hasten their rebuild by trading Cox and Kerr. I wish they'd do it. What WC would get for those 2, perhaps combined with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders, may perhaps shave a year off the rebuild if trading and drafting is acted upon wisely.

WCE Needs, Midfield or Forward?

We have some obvious needs for our team going forward. these include outside midfield talent, a full forward, a crumbing pocket, project ruckman etc.
The question is however what requires pick 4 to satisfy the need?

crumbing pockets are often taken with late picks or rookies so i don't think a first rounder is required. we should just use a late pick or rookie list one.

we need a backup ruckman for NN after cox is gone in 3-4 years or traded earlier. sullivan aint look the goods atm. we dont need two really good ruckman NN should play the vast majority of gametime in the future so a first round pick isnt required. maybe we should target a reasonable developing ruckman with a second or third round pick.

Now midfield talent is obvious but the Question is do we have enough mid talent developing and coming through especially outside?
swift sheppard ebert shuey masten Houlihan stevens selwood. recent premiers suggest you need atleast 2-3 midfield stars to win a premiership. do you guys see 3 stars in this group? if not we should draft another one (atley, gaff bennell if available) with our pick 4.

Forwards. we already have 2 young guns in kennedy and lecras. The question is, is this enough to win a premiership or do we need another KPF preferably FF with kennedy HF?

Basically FF or midfield gun in this draft and why?
Discuss which need is most dire and important to next premiership and who should be targeted to fill the need? Or should be simply target best available?

Some candidates for forward are
Gorringe, darling, day

Mids
Gaff, bennell, atley, parker, polec

Discuss.

Re: WCE Needs, Midfield or Forward?

Quick, skillful midfielder.
As for why, I'll explain later, I need to masturbate now.

Re: WCE Needs, Midfield or Forward?

Quick, skillful midfielder.
As for why, I'll explain later, I need to masturbate now.

I just did so i am free to explain...

We need gun midfielders because im still not convinced we have 1 on the list and because most of the statistics we are poor for relate to the midfield. For example we are roughly second last for inside 50's and we would be lucky if a third of those were not kicked directly to or to the advantage of the opposition.

yer i defs agree. especially on the kerr cox and i think glass aswell thing. trade out seniors to premierships contenders who need them more than us. the thing with the rebuild is that it can only last a few years otherwise your team naturally improves and if you didnt do it well enough you may be left in the middle of the pack (possibly carlton's situation). lets not forget that this could be our last rebuild year. with GWS getting so many picks next year aswell if we only improve a few spots (which is likely with fewer injuries and a lot of players entering their 3rd years) we might not get a top 10 pick. that being said i think our premiership window starts to close with lecras, hurn, kennedy, waters in 8/7 years. which means weve still got another 2/3 years to draft players who will be in their 5th years come that time. this is also why we shouldnt trade anyone older than 23 or kennedy's age.

I see Clark as a guy who plays best in the no.1 role. Many quality ruckman just cannot play backup as they find the rhythm really uncomfortable. I see Clark as being one of them.

Taking Sherman + pick 6 for our pick 4 is insane. I couldn't stomach even the possibility. WC should be investigated for drugs by the AFL if they attempted such a deal.

There is very little difference between 4 and 6 this year. It could be Sherman and something else additional, but it is more so about being based on that idea of downgrading the picks that could be looked at as a way of effectively adding to your roster if the club has little preference between the players likely to be available at 4 or 6.

yer i defs agree. especially on the kerr cox and i think glass aswell thing. trade out seniors to premierships contenders who need them more than us. the thing with the rebuild is that it can only last a few years otherwise your team naturally improves and if you didnt do it well enough you may be left in the middle of the pack (possibly carlton's situation). lets not forget that this could be our last rebuild year. with GWS getting so many picks next year aswell if we only improve a few spots (which is likely with fewer injuries and a lot of players entering their 3rd years) we might not get a top 10 pick. that being said i think our premiership window starts to close with lecras, hurn, kennedy, waters in 8/7 years. which means weve still got another 2/3 years to draft players who will be in their 5th years come that time. this is also why we shouldnt trade anyone older than 23 or kennedy's age.

If I was a WC fan I'd love to trade Cox. Along with Nic Nat they both play best in the no.1 ruck role and just don't see suited to playing in combination. Early on when Cox was out Naitanui was flying. Absolutely looking dominant and there was allot to like. Really should be pushed into the role as a full time ruckman.

Cox still does have value and I too if I was a West Coast fan would love to see him moved for a player who might give the club some more long term value who could be around for the next premiership tilt. There could be a 3 way deal where you send Cox off somewhere and yourself receive Daniel Wells. Draft picks or other pieces would have to be included for the deal to be considered more equitable. But essentially it could be an idea that gets looked at.

EDIT: Kerr and Glass could just as easily be added to that list. Kerr is not productive at this club anymore because he doesn't have the horsepower to be. If he goes to a relative contendor he could again become productive if he can get over his injury difficulties. Glass I think is largly nearing the end of his career, a move to a Hawthorn perhaps who have a need for a key defender would be ideal and could get you something younger. Though Glass being the captain won't get traded..

It's all good knightwheelrqr, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig at you.
I know there's not too much difference between pick 4 and 6. The ability to choose instead of picking from what's left is a minor difference. I would hate to be pipped, just because we had our heart set on a particular player at 4, but he wasn't available at 6.

Why I find that deal not to my liking is that WC have a number of decent rookies to possibly upgrade. WC can't afford to take fringe players like Sherman. It would be a waste of a needed list spot. I'd rather exchange pick 4 for 2 picks rather than a player and a pick, if that were to be the way we went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back