1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
providing none of the big 3 slide. we will pick either atley, gaff or darling. i dont think gorringe would be considered good enough for pick 4.

i want atley. he is the perfectly rounded player. fast, agile, good build plays inside and outside but slightly more outside. has good foot skills. Has everything that you need in a superstar that cant be taught. great athlete.

then darling - we need a FF and he's from WA with all the attributes of pav.

then gaff. not fast enough to fill a need for our midfield that atley could and not a FF like darling which we also need.

ATM i think we would pick atley.

i think d camp will decide for us.
if gaff gets good results for pace/agility tests he will be picked.
Atley is the best athlete so could just blow the others out of the water with his results.
Darling if he measures in at 192cm or higher his currency shoots up like mad as a genuine KPF and would be picked by us requiring that FF.

Personally dont like polec at all. smith over him easy but neither are good enough for pick 4.

Who's the player most likely to round out the big 3?

Some say Day, Sam Day is no certainty to even elect to play AFL, he's got to choose between us, baseball and basketball I think. With Baseball for some ungodly reason looking like the front runner..

For the sake of humanity lets hope common sense prevails. :p

No point even discussing pick four because gaff is an absolute lock. He's not super fast but he's definatley not slow either. Very much a Scott pendelbury mould and he's not super fast. Only way we won't end up with gaff is if he goes top 3 and we then take the slider. Very excited to have gaff in the team, super smart player. Andreoli would be a good pp pick and could be a very good wingman.

From what I've read baseball is Days real passion and apparently he has the potential to play in the US.

I would be a little concerned drafting this bloke.

He's a big bloke so will take a little longer to do well and if he cops an injury or two in the first couple of years it reads like he could just up and leave the sport to play baseball.

Massive talent, but a risk IMO.

Can anybody tell me is this draft going to be already gutted before it starts by the GC being allowed to take most of the players would have made up the top 10 a year or two ago when they were 16/17 and therefore pick 4 is going to be more like pick 14 in a normal draft and pick 25 is really pick 35 etc? Or is it going to like a full normal draft?

Can anybody tell me is this draft going to be already gutted before it starts by the GC being allowed to take most of the players would have made up the top 10 a year or two ago when they were 16/17 and therefore pick 4 is going to be more like pick 14 in a normal draft and pick 25 is really pick 35 etc? Or is it going to like a full normal draft?

Its all realative , West Coast pick 4 is heaps better then Collingwood or Geelongs first round pick at 25 !

This draft is pretty good , Jed Lamb will go in the twenties at one of our second picks ... and all I want is for Hams and Lamb to play in the same team ;)

Its all realative , West Coast pick 4 is heaps better then Collingwood or Geelongs first round pick at 25 !

This draft is pretty good , Jed Lamb will go in the twenties at one of our second picks ... and all I want is for Hams and Lamb to play in the same team ;)

It's not all relative. A punch in the face may be better than being knee capped but that doesn't mean you should be happy about being punched in the face and wish for it to happen.

The fact that you want a player to get picked up on the basis that you think his surname is amusing says it all.

It's not all relative. A punch in the face may be better than being knee capped but that doesn't mean you should be happy about being punched in the face and wish for it to happen.

The fact that you want a player to get picked up on the basis that you think his surname is amusing says it all.

These guys have taken offense ! they are however not fleeced about it :eek:

images

Your pick 4 won't be far off it's true vale (definitely not to the extent of pick 14) ... Josh Toy definitely, maybe Mav Weller are the only ones I'd confidently say could've been top 5 prospects.

... most of the others taken would've likely fitted in somewhere between your first and second round picks.

Jed actually looks like a very exciting talent.

I'm warming to us drafting Darling at 4.
Would give us a solid stay at home full forward option who can also push up the ground if required. I don't mind if we grab another midfielder with that pick, but we have drafted a fair amount of midfielders in the past few drafts. Darling works hard when the ball is in the air and makes a contest on the ground, something all forwardlines need and not many big men are able to do. I see Darling as a similar player to Jon Brown, and while Darling may still be growing, he is only about 4-5cm shorter than Brown. I don't see the problem, get a ruler, how much is 5cm? Not very much. Darling has a body built for a big forward and I think he can do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook and Darling will be on Richmond and Melbourne's highly sort after list. Those teams will be looking to top off their future forward lines.

I disagree with this.

Hardiwkc is a huge wrap for Ben Griffiths who we took at 19 last year and we also have Jayden Post, Astbury and Gourdis who can play either end.

He said on footy classified we lack outside mids, so I think we will go small.

In saying that I would be very happy with Darling purely for the gamble that everyone got it wrong and he should have gone top 3.

I'm warming to us drafting Darling at 4.
Would give us a solid stay at home full forward option who can also push up the ground if required. I don't mind if we grab another midfielder with that pick, but we have drafted a fair amount of midfielders in the past few drafts. Darling works hard when the ball is in the air and makes a contest on the ground, something all forwardlines need and not many big men are able to do. I see Darling as a similar player to Jon Brown, and while Darling may still be growing, he is only about 4-5cm shorter than Brown. I don't see the problem, get a ruler, how much is 5cm? Not very much. Darling has a body built for a big forward and I think he can do it.
I'm very much with you.
Not common to get basically a ready to go Full Forward.
Great in the air which is a feature we have been sorely missing in our full forwards for many, many years.
FWIW, Dunstall was 189, Lockett 191, Fevola 191, Pavlich 192 and J.Riewoldt 193, so height shouldn't be a problem.
Unless some dynamite outside mid with blistering pace and dynamite skills comes to light, Darling is at the top of my list.
However, if Day opts out of footy, Darling would almost certainly be picked up by GC with pick 3.

FYI J Riewoldt 194cm...

I think you guys should go Darling...home grown talent!
Richmond FC website and Wikipedia beg to differ.
Fairly irrelevant difference anyway. Nick Riewoldt and Roughead are 193cm also, Hall is 194cm, which along with the aforementioned suggests you're more likely to succeed between 190 and 195cm than between 195 and 200cm, so I don't think Darling's height will be an issue whatsoever.

I'm very much with you.
Not common to get basically a ready to go Full Forward.
Great in the air which is a feature we have been sorely missing in our full forwards for many, many years.
FWIW, Dunstall was 189, Lockett 191, Fevola 191, Pavlich 192 and J.Riewoldt 193, so height shouldn't be a problem.
Unless some dynamite outside mid with blistering pace and dynamite skills comes to light, Darling is at the top of my list.
However, if Day opts out of footy, Darling would almost certainly be picked up by GC with pick 3.

Jesus christ the injustice. if that were to happen do you realise the top 3 picks would be WA boys? and then we would be left sitting there at pick 4 devo.

Do we really need another inside midfielder like Brodie Smith? He does look good but a clear pick four, no. His upside is enourmous, he's tall, quick and has a light frame that he will grow into.

Atley's advantage is he can play inside and outside, he's a great tackler and a neat user.

If we want another inside midfielder with elite pace, then look no further than Josh Green a very probable second round selection.

If we go tall it's got to be for Gorringe if he's available.

Do we really need another inside midfielder like Brodie Smith? He does look good but a clear pick four, no. His upside is enourmous, he's tall, quick and has a light frame that he will grow into.

Atley's advantage is he can play inside and outside, he's a great tackler and a neat user.

If we want another inside midfielder with elite pace, then look no further than Josh Green a very probable second round selection.

If we go tall it's got to be for Gorringe if he's available.
Andreoli as a second pick perhaps?
I don't really want whoever we draft playing in the centre square TBH.
Shuey, Swift, Masten, Stevens, Ebert and even Weedon are all ballwinners, would much prefer a wingman.
FF>Outside mid>Crumber>Ruckman>Inside mid/small def/key defender in terms of priority imo.

How is Gorringe's contested marking EH? A bit wary of taking another project FF given the disappointing progress of Notte, but having a backup ruck option as well as a FF is awful tempting.

Richmond FC website and Wikipedia beg to differ.
Fairly irrelevant difference anyway. Nick Riewoldt and Roughead are 193cm also, Hall is 194cm, which along with the aforementioned suggests you're more likely to succeed between 190 and 195cm than between 195 and 200cm, so I don't think Darling's height will be an issue whatsoever.

Well he said in the paper on Saturday he was 194cm...not that it matters.

I think if Darling has grown 2-3 cm he will go top 4, surely you cannot pass up home grown talent.

I would think though that you guys have a pressing need to add depth to your midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back