1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Clark as a guy who plays best in the no.1 role. Many quality ruckman just cannot play backup as they find the rhythm really uncomfortable. I see Clark as being one of them.

There is very little difference between 4 and 6 this year. It could be Sherman and something else additional, but it is more so about being based on that idea of downgrading the picks that could be looked at as a way of effectively adding to your roster if the club has little preference between the players likely to be available at 4 or 6.

If I was a WC fan I'd love to trade Cox. Along with Nic Nat they both play best in the no.1 ruck role and just don't see suited to playing in combination. Early on when Cox was out Naitanui was flying. Absolutely looking dominant and there was allot to like. Really should be pushed into the role as a full time ruckman.

Cox still does have value and I too if I was a West Coast fan would love to see him moved for a player who might give the club some more long term value who could be around for the next premiership tilt. There could be a 3 way deal where you send Cox off somewhere and yourself receive Daniel Wells. Draft picks or other pieces would have to be included for the deal to be considered more equitable. But essentially it could be an idea that gets looked at.

EDIT: Kerr and Glass could just as easily be added to that list. Kerr is not productive at this club anymore because he doesn't have the horsepower to be. If he goes to a relative contendor he could again become productive if he can get over his injury difficulties. Glass I think is largly nearing the end of his career, a move to a Hawthorn perhaps who have a need for a key defender would be ideal and could get you something younger. Though Glass being the captain won't get traded..

Great post

Why I find that deal not to my liking is that WC have a number of decent rookies to possibly upgrade. WC can't afford to take fringe players like Sherman. It would be a waste of a needed list spot. I'd rather exchange pick 4 for 2 picks rather than a player and a pick, if that were to be the way we went.

The other thing I see with Sherman is that he is much more suited to a more successful side (which is why a Hawthorn or Collingwood might be a better destination). This season he has really looked very uncomfortable in Brisbane because of it. He is a fantastic reader of the play, but like Jordan McMahon at Richmond just can't make use of his asset because of it.

I was really interested to read on the drafting and trading board that so many WCE fans had such a serious interested in Sherman. He is probably the type of player who you could look to add, just I don't see him being the optimal fit myself.

Bennell had an outstanding U18 champs. That is what you are trading into at no.2 and I know many WCE fans will be very keen to do this because Bennell is very promising. I see him as a guy who could be compaired to maybe a Daniel Wells. He will come into the league skinny, but have an instant impact and without a doubt look like one of the top guys of this draft class. Though I don't have as high expectations of his development. He will become a quality player, that I have no doubt but I rate more what some of the lower draft picks will achieve over the length of their careers. Day being a long term guy is one of them, Gaff is see in a year being about where a Steele Sidebottom is now and developing into a top quality mid because he has such an outstanding work ethic, Gorringe I see developing very nicely into whatever he wants to develop into, Atley same and a few others I can see going past him also. Very speculative and I'm sure I'll cop it from any recruiters for saying it.

Bennell would be a nice fit into this team. I have no doubt about that. But personally I see other guys going past him. I know it will be popular, particularly amongst others on this board who have seen him and are thinking "wow. What a gun!" But to trade up to him from pick 4 you would have to part with some very good talent. Possibly even a Kennedy, which would be a logical guy for GC to demand considering he is in his early 20s.

It's all pretty interesting with all the possible scenarios though. West Coast particularly because they have already expressed interest to make some moves.

The other thing I see with Sherman is that he is much more suited to a more successful side (which is why a Hawthorn or Collingwood might be a better destination). This season he has really looked very uncomfortable in Brisbane because of it. He is a fantastic reader of the play, but like Jordan McMahon at Richmond just can't make use of his asset because of it.

I was really interested to read on the drafting and trading board that so many WCE fans had such a serious interested in Sherman. He is probably the type of player who you could look to add, just I don't see him being the optimal fit myself.

Bennell had an outstanding U18 champs. That is what you are trading into at no.2 and I know many WCE fans will be very keen to do this because Bennell is very promising. I see him as a guy who could be compaired to maybe a Daniel Wells. He will come into the league skinny, but have an instant impact and without a doubt look like one of the top guys of this draft class. Though I don't have as high expectations of his development. He will become a quality player, that I have no doubt but I rate more what some of the lower draft picks will achieve over the length of their careers. Day being a long term guy is one of them, Gaff is see in a year being about where a Steele Sidebottom is now and developing into a top quality mid because he has such an outstanding work ethic, Gorringe I see developing very nicely into whatever he wants to develop into, Atley same and a few others I can see going past him also. Very speculative and I'm sure I'll cop it from any recruiters for saying it.

Bennell would be a nice fit into this team. I have no doubt about that. But personally I see other guys going past him. I know it will be popular, particularly amongst others on this board who have seen him and are thinking "wow. What a gun!" But to trade up to him from pick 4 you would have to part with some very good talent. Possibly even a Kennedy, which would be a logical guy for GC to demand considering he is in his early 20s.

It's all pretty interesting with all the possible scenarios though. West Coast particularly because they have already expressed interest to make some moves.

I agree with pretty much all of this, but I'm unsure about Bennell, whether he'll be an absolute star, or whether he's surpassed. He'll be a damn good player either way.

You may have misunderstood what I was meaning by 2 picks for pick 4. I didn't mean find a way to upgrade pick 4 into pick 2. I was commenting on your plan for WC to downgrade pick 4 into 2 lesser picks.

You may have understood me correctly all along, but your last quote of me made me believe you thought I was saying something different.

I strongly agree regarding Sherman. He needs a better team to function better. WC have Strijk and Weedon to play a role that Sherman would take.

Brodie Smith 188cm 79kgs Shuey like in traffic, nice kick, quick.

"South Australian captain Brodie Smith was one of the best players in the carnival. His coach, Brenton Phillips, said that if Smith had not missed the game against Northern Territory, he might have won the Larke Medal for the best player in division one.

“He had a corked thigh, and we erred on the side of caution,” Phillips said.

Phillips described Smith as competitive, a good mark, strong in contests, with the ability to shrug tackles with a shake of the hips. He’s also fast, and he hits the ball at pace.

Smith has been playing in defence for the senior team at Woodville-West Torrens. His leadership style is steady. He could go in the first round but he’s more likely to go in the second."

[youtube]W5GvCEN_O5I[/youtube]

Brodie Smith 188cm 79kgs Shuey like in traffic, nice kick, quick.

"South Australian captain Brodie Smith was one of the best players in the carnival. His coach, Brenton Phillips, said that if Smith had not missed the game against Northern Territory, he might have won the Larke Medal for the best player in division one.

“He had a corked thigh, and we erred on the side of caution,” Phillips said.

Phillips described Smith as competitive, a good mark, strong in contests, with the ability to shrug tackles with a shake of the hips. He’s also fast, and he hits the ball at pace.

Smith has been playing in defence for the senior team at Woodville-West Torrens. His leadership style is steady. He could go in the first round but he’s more likely to go in the second."
It's easy to get carried away with Youtube clips, but he looks bloody good.

It is, but out of all the mids he stands out the most based on the vids. I still want Darling or Gorringe but if we went for a mid I'd like to snag Smith even if it means downgrading pick 4.

Trading Cox and/or Kerr won't get us any value this draft. Gold Coast have already r*ped the draft and the players that are left aren't worth trading Cox or Kerr for ! We need to bight the bullet, forget trading older players for a couple of years while the new teams plunder the best young talent, and rebuild the best we can with the drafts we are given !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading Cox and/or Kerr won't get us any value this draft. Gold Coast have already r*ped the draft and the players that are left aren't worth trading Cox or Kerr for ! We need to bight the bullet, forget trading older players for a couple of years while the new teams plunder the best young talent, and rebuild the best we can with the drafts we are given !

Thats ridiculous there's plenty of value as you just saw how good some of the late first round talent could be. and what good are cox and kerr gonna be for us in 4 years time when we might be starting to challenge for a premiership. Realistically long term we'd be better of trading them even for a second rounder.

Smith and Atley look similar type players.
Smith appears to have greater pace and height.
Atley looks a little more rounded, however his kicking action appears a little suspect.
Can anyone elaborate on the key differences between the two.
A lot is guess work without draft camp results and limited footage.
I like the look of both.
Either of them and Jed Lamb would be a great result in november. Think lamb will go late first round though...

Anyone got any video of Gaff, Polec and Atley?

Atley:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur32F0tf6X4[/YOUTUBE]

Polec:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMR3KNOL8kA[/YOUTUBE]

Gaff:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJOvbcc3Ck[/YOUTUBE]

There's more than one of each, but once you're there you can follow the links.

Smith and Atley look similar type players.
Smith appears to have greater pace and height.
Atley looks a little more rounded, however his kicking action appears a little suspect.
Can anyone elaborate on the key differences between the two.
A lot is guess work without draft camp results and limited footage.
I like the look of both.
Either of them and Jed Lamb would be a great result in november. Think lamb will go late first round though...

Yeh I have to say that, going entirely off the youtube vids, I rate Smith higher than Atley due to Atley's Houlihanesque high ball drop.

Smith looks really good in that video, he might move up the ranks after DC.

Parker looks to have a pretty decent kicking style but again, I've only seen the vids.

Yeh I have to say that, going entirely off the youtube vids, I rate Smith higher than Atley due to Atley's Houlihanesque high ball drop.

Smith looks really good in that video, he might move up the ranks after DC.

Parker looks to have a pretty decent kicking style but again, I've only seen the vids.

Smith:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GvCEN_O5I[/YOUTUBE]

He really does love the quick kick out of congestion doesn't he? Likes to break tackles aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back