1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay then lets look at there last 3 shield seasons

Bancroft 21/22 8 Matches 502 runs Ave 35 2 Hundreds
Renshaw 21/22 9 Matches 410 runs Ave 29 1 Hundred.... and back then in 21/22 Renshaw went down the order for some stupid reason and scored his hundred batting at 5

Bancroft 22/23 11 Matches 945 runs Ave 59 4 Hundreds
Renshaw 22/23 5 Matches 310 Runs Ave 51 1 Hundreds

Bancroft 23/24 6 Matches 512 runs Ave 56 2 Hundreds
Renshaw 23/23 6 Matches 348 Ave 31 1 Hundred

So thats 8 shield hundreds to Bancroft as an opener to 2 to Renshaw

and people are telling me that Bancroft doesn't to deserve to be in the mix as a replacement opener if ussie is injured ??

thats 8 shield tons in the past 3 years as an opener to only 2 scored by Renshaw as an opener

So people are considering picking someone who has scored only 2 tons in the past 3 years in the shield as an opener to replace Ussie if he is injured ?

Come on people :think:
Pointless trying to argue with you when you continue to ignore all the other first class cricket they play. No one is going to get anywhere.

After hughes died i remember few days later an umpire was struck and killed and they actually pointed out many head injuries at lower levels are older umpires being struck by the ball so really we would need to change ball or massively reduce size and power of bats to keep everybody safe.
Look at what a baseball umpire wears and you might get a sense of what may be needed to adequately protect cricket umpires.

its not about beating a drum ..its about picking the best player possible..if Renshaw was averaging 50 plus in the shield I wouldn't have an issue but he is not

I don't understand this state narrative you always go on about and keep sh**tting on WA and WA based players you have a serious issue dude

I didn't want Bancroft in over Green and they are both WA players

In regards to the concussion sub Bancroft is in the mix and Renshaw is more suited as the concussion sub and Bancroft is more suited to opening due to his record in the shield ....do you get that ?
Why are you so focussed on just the Shield?

All First Class also includes the Australia A games - where they're facing better bowlers!

That's far more informative.

Have to agree and so will people like Chappelli who played a good part of his career in the pre helmet era. Never saw him get sconned by the short ball, did see him score many runs hooking cleanly tho as he never took his eye off the tragectory of the ball. One of the first guys to wear a helmet if my memory serves was Tony Grieg, was in WSC and he wore what resembled a bikie helmet. So I am thinking that Greigy was not comfortable against the shortie.
And David Hookes when he came back after his broken jaw in WSC

Every batsman gets hit at some stage, nobody has technique that is so good they never get hit. However just standing there and letting it hit you in the head is a more recent development.
There is a lot less back and across footwork than there used to be. Now it is a tiny shuffle back and onto the toes, and slash or pull.

Or pull across the line knowing there is a helmet to protect you.

The other thing batsmen use to do was sway inside the line rather than duck a delivery, which is what good players do when they watch the ball properly.

Last edited:
Have to agree and so will people like Chappelli who played a good part of his career in the pre helmet era. Never saw him get sconned by the short ball, did see him score many runs hooking cleanly tho as he never took his eye off the tragectory of the ball. One of the first guys to wear a helmet if my memory serves was Tony Grieg, was in WSC and he wore what resembled a bikie helmet. So I am thinking that Greigy was not comfortable against the shortie.
Chappell would agree, and he hinted at it in the aftermath of Hughes.

Of course, he also believes that good players must hook and pull, which is also stupid.

Renshaw 21/22 9 Matches 410 runs Ave 29 1 Hundred.... and back then in 21/22 Renshaw went down the order for some stupid reason and scored his hundred batting at 5

and people are telling me that Bancroft doesn't to deserve to be in the mix as a replacement opener if ussie is injured ??

thats 8 shield tons in the past 3 years as an opener to only 2 scored by Renshaw as an opener

So people are considering picking someone who has scored only 2 tons in the past 3 years in the shield as an opener to replace Ussie if he is injured ?

Funny you should mention Usman Khawaja. He's opened the batting once in Shield cricket.

not idea why you are so fixed on ages but anyway he has scored a massive 9 runs as a 27 year old from 4 goes. Renshaw is a walking wicket at test level from the ample sample size we have seen.

someone like harris has proven he has the game to match it.
All Harris has proven is he should never be considered again and is a complete waste of time.

And I'll re-state my question: do you believe that runs against test bowling attacks are not relevant when choosing a person to bat in a test match?

Reminder that old grumble guts Ian Chappell also said Head had five weaknesses and wouldn't make it as a Test player.
Not an Ian Chappell fan by any stretch, but a lot of people had ruled a line through Head before the ‘21-22 Ashes.

Probably the same morons putting a line through Green at present.

btw Chappell was still meh when they dropped Head in India.
He loves to grind axes and will never admit he was wrong.

That is probably where Shane Warne learned it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Aaron Hardie. Has been whispers around about McSweeney potentially been named in the squad for the NZ series too (more as an experience thing rather than actually expecting him to play a role though)
If they pick Hardie would that not be 3 right hand bat all rounders doing the same thing. Don’t get me wrong I like him but we’ve already got two allrounders from WA in there (not that it matters where they’re from) but why not go the whole hog and play Agar and Ashton Turner when he’s fit?

If they pick Hardie would that not be 3 right hand bat all rounders doing the same thing. Don’t get me wrong I like him but we’ve already got two allrounders from WA in there (not that it matters where they’re from) but why not go the whole hog and play Agar and Ashton Turner when he’s fit?

Would surely have to be picked as a batter only. Which is what interests me - if Renshaw is 7th in line (and leaving Bancroft aside) who do you think would be next in line for a batting (not opening) spot?

I think bouncers almost need to be confined to the past. The game needs to become a bit safer in my ( probably controversial) view.
Just set up bowling machines then - you’ve already got enough restrictions in white ball cricket - Red ball cricket is a test of your technique, ability and your courage.

Would surely have to be picked as a batter only. Which is what interests me - if Renshaw is 7th in line (and leaving Bancroft aside) who do you think would be next in line for a batting (not opening) spot?
McSweeney on what we’ve seen - but I’ve been pretty consistent for a long time that the cupboard is very, very bare

Could it be that the cupboard looks so bare because of the type of pitches they are playing on these days in shield cricket

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Honestly I don’t think so - my view on this has been pretty consistent for a number of years and without sounding like a smart arse what I thought may happen is occurring albeit a lot quicker than I had hoped.

yeah and he averages 30 odd in the shield as an opener while Bancroft averages 50 plus

if ussie is injured Bancroft must be in the mix as a replacement
This is the one that matters more though. In 2023, both played 3 matches (5 innings) for Australia-A/PM-XI vs New Zealand and Pakistan. Renshaw has scores of 112, 78, 2, 140 and 136* while Bancroft has scores of 14, 47, 7, 16 and 53.

Remove this Banner Ad

1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Back