+2 for the 2012 umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2011
Moorabin
AFL Club
St Kilda
I posted this on the main board. Think AFL fans should promote good umpiring.

Its only been 2 games but there's a noticeable improvement in the umpiring.
One thing I noticed was how they stopped paying over the shoulder free's when the ball carrier takes possesion and ducks into a tackle or head butts an opponent. That resulted in a real improvement in game flow.
It makes sense too, if they reward players for ducking, they continue to do it. It meant the umpires were almost promoting the duck.

I hope this correction in umpiring continues through out the season... Maybe they have realised this and made a correction to the way they interperet the rule. It makes sense, more stoppages gives more time for players to get to the contest. It definitely improved the flow of the game last night and as a result kept the players spread, less congestion and more scoring which is what we all want to see. Lets hope they keep it up.

I wasn't that impressed with the umpiring last night, they let a lot of things go, probably a dozen holding or dropping the ball calls they could've/should've made, but they were really pedantic sometimes. Just wasn't consistent.

After watching the 1/4 of Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions it's certainly not going to be 3/3.

Get out of the bloody game umpires!

Good on Magner, he's killing it. But both those goals from free kicks we're wrong.

I watched part of the second quarter of the Carltank/Tiggers game and was frustrated with the inconsistency of the umpiring.

However, if they are going to stop paying the Angus Morefries ones, them I'm on board. Ducking into a tackle is a blight on the game, and anyone who has played at any standard knows that it's almost impossible to tackle someone who is coming straight at you and ducks at the last moment. I'd like the umpires to explain WTF a player is meant to do.

But I'd be a supporter of naming and commending umpires each week when they have a low error rate (as I have a view that people who criticise should be capable of praise).

Although I also think the bounce has to go to ensure we get the best decision makers into the game (and encourage former players to start officiating without exposing themselves to ridicule by not having 5-10 years of bouncing experience under their belt).

After watching the 1/4 of Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions it's certainly not going to be 3/3.

Get out of the bloody game umpires!

Good on Magner, he's killing it. But both those goals from free kicks we're wrong.

SPOT ON! I was thinking the same thing lol, but I didnt see any head butts to the chest.
I guess inconsistancy will always be there. Umpires just can't get it right all the time. But at least if they try to stop paying the staging frees like the head duck and the jump forward to the ground when being tackled it will make a huge difference to the game.
That's the other one I wanted to talk about. Where a player gets tackled and all of a sudden the ball carrier drops the knees and dives forward. Why should that be rewarded in the back. Again they promote players to take advantage of the rule. All they gotta do is differentiate between the bullsh!t instigated frees and the real ones and then less umpiring, less free's, less stopages, less conjestion, more free flowing football and more goals.
Every one will be happier.
Those guys saying umpiring is bad because of all those frees they didn't call, just arn't looking at the big picture.

Do these jokers live on the same planet or just pop in on weekends?

How could you possibly consider praise for such a biased pile of crap served up tonight?

I feel sick.

This is _ucking disgusting.

Clear cheating against Milne. Yes, it is. They don't like him and they cheat to get the ball of him.

Last night was the worst umpiring I have seen for a while. Most often I can tell that there is a potential free & wait to see if it is given. Last night for about a third of Ports I was left guessing at why.

The beginnings of the quarters where the worst, the flow of frees gifted the flow of play to Port.

Kosi annoyed me as well. Two 50's & I lost count of how many other frees. He began the game well & then lost all discipline. But as many of the frees against him where off camera maybe I am being unfair & they were not in fact there.

How many holding the footy decisions went their way? It was a clear, clear bias towards them. I know as fans we can be one-eyed, but jesus it was pretty obvious. We'd lay tackles, they'd drop it, play on. They'd touch us, and straight away its a free. It was pretty ridicilous.

Takes me back to the game under GT where the AFL actually admitted after the game there was somethign like 14 erros in ports favor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was the worst umpiring I have seen for a while. Most often I can tell that there is a potential free & wait to see if it is given. Last night for about a third of Ports I was left guessing at why.

The beginnings of the quarters where the worst, the flow of frees gifted the flow of play to Port.

Kosi annoyed me as well. Two 50's & I lost count of how many other frees. He began the game well & then lost all discipline. But as many of the frees against him where off camera maybe I am being unfair & they were not in fact there.

Kosi both times running out after a behind to get in the zone was charged at by a Port player. When contact was made the Port player slung himself to the ground and a 50 was paid. FFS it was blatant that the umpires had a agenda the whole night with the Milne mark was the worse.

The Milne decision ultimately cost us the game in my opinion. We would have more than likely hit the front and had momentum.

The most annoying part was that in order for that free kick to be paid, the umpire was actually looking for it, rather than letting a contest ensue which was won with clever body work by Milne.

Also would be surprised if Lenny decided to go another year after the treatment he copped yesterday.

Bloody disgusting it was. Port had about 6 50m penalties, did we even get one?
What was the final tally of free kicks?

As upset as everyone seems to be about the umpiring last night, you know there's nothing in any rule book that says the number of 50s or free kicks should "be about even", right?

As upset as everyone seems to be about the umpiring last night, you know there's nothing in any rule book that says the number of 50s or free kicks should "be about even", right?

It would have been alot closer to "about even" had they umpired impartially. Dal throwing the ball back which would have been on the full except for a limp effort from Westhoff, and Polo taking a mark (and quite reasonably thinking the whistle was a mark and played on) are two that immediately spring to mind.

There was a kick in the back pocket by a Port player which went immediately out of bounds. The free should have been from about 30m out from goal (the first point at which it crossed the boundary), but instead the boundary umpire somehow found a way to assess the mark as 60m out.

The free against Milne was particularly disgraceful. The footage (as Port were lining up for goal following the "turnover") showed Kosi in the background with a fair bit of "WTF" and the umpire gesticulating (way over the top instead of just talking to Kosi like a normal person) that Milne had done some sort of executioner/wrestling/karate manoeuvre.

You didn't notice Riewoldt about to mark on the wing, so the Port player decided to take a chance and hack him on the head? Riewoldt looked at the umpire as if to say "you've got to be joking" and did well not to say anything derogatory.

Hayes was also taken very hard in the head whilst being tackled, and also showed his disbelief. They weren't whinging - it was remarkable that these frees somehow hadn't been "seen", yet others were concocted out of thin air.

Not to mention for example Riewoldt trying to break free of his opponent who clearly had his arm held (this is in the 3rd I think)... Didn't get a free, but he somehow managed to take the mark.

Or one of our guys taking an uncontested mark and being tackled and held up for 4 seconds, our guys just had to wave their arms in attempt to block a potential handball to get 50 yet an uncontested marker being wrapped up was nothing. It was baffling.

Worst part about it is though is that we still could have won if we were good enough. We simply weren't

The Milne mark was by far the worst.
I think it was fisher? who did a similar thing later on in a marking contest and his had was a little further round and actually could have been payed either way and it would have been ok.
Where is the consistency I cry!!!!

Free kick differential of +11 in Port's favour.
50m Penalties 5-0 in Port's favour.

Free kicks were far too numerous anyway (thought we got a couple of dubious ones too, but was glad to get them), but the bias was hard to combat.

Games like this make me wonder what would happen if StKilda took the AFL to a civil court on the grounds of match fixing.
They would have to conclude that either:
a) The umpiring was correct.
b) The umpiring was incompetent ( in which case you would expect stupid decisions both ways )
c )The umpiring was biassed.

If the umpiring was biassed you would have to conclude that
a) the umpire was not fit for the job.
b) he had been directed to be biassed.
c) The umpire has found that its easier to pick up and have sex with a port adelaide supporting feral chick if he gives them a good run.

Remove this Banner Ad

+2 for the 2012 umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back