Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

His workrate was right up last night.

In the passage of play that led to his first goal, he started on the wing at the contest and absolutely burnt his opponent running back towards goal.

I'm glad he got some reward for effort with a couple of goals because I reckon he does a lot of unrewarded running to open up space behind and is an important piece for us structurally.

Well played Stevo.

A kid who made mistakes early in his career but pulled his head in and his behaviour has changed 100%

Kudos to him, it just shows how much he wants it.

He keeps increasing his work rate to be a hard working half forward then he’ll be a threat. Just gotta keep at it.
Whether there’s a future in the midfield for him I’m not sure but he has the skill set and smarts to be anything

Think he's another player getting an order to consciously do less, a la Ziebell (as speculated elsewhere).

Jaidyn has such good weapons coaches probably get too busy trying to utilise them and shift him around. Wonder if he's now been kept to a very narrow focus and able to build back up from there.

Didn't put together he was playing on Young as Kangaroos4eva pointed out. Wouldn't be surprised if the synopsis of his instructions were to keep Young accountable and always present going the other way when Young has gone upfield. With Jaidyn's pace and skill he doesn't need much opportunity for that to work and it benefits the team structurally by negating Young.

He's starting to play like a guy who is rebuilding in confidence.

I thought he was good week 1, contributing with tackles.

This week, he was hitting the scoreboard and providing link up run.

Clarkson has backed him and is showing the love that he needs. I'm quietly confident that he will get him back to his best.

Cause I got accused of bias I went back and watched the replay. Here are all of his involvements, I've got time stamps if anyone wants them.

First Quarter
  • Hand ball receive and give but fails to shepherd resulting in a tackle and turn over. This is as bad, if not worse than the Scott example that has been given.
  • Pulls out of what should have been an attempted smother
  • Trails his man to the fall of the ball from a contested pack and his man runs away with ball.
  • Hard running to get out the back for a goal
  • Lead and mark wide on wing. Kicks to a contest which results in a turn over.
  • Crumbs and gives hand ball.

Second Quarter
  • Kick to Stevo on lead but he is spoilt. No possession.
  • Pulls out of laying a tackle.
  • Handball receive and give in D50.
  • Mark wide on wing and kicks straight to a Docker who drops it.. Stevo follows up to get handball receive but then kicks to a 2 on 1 deep inside F50.
  • Ground ball get F50, blind kick to no one.
  • Drops an easy mark 25 out and then loses ground ball 1 on 1 contest because of soft effort.
  • Trailed his man into defensive goal square and lucky bounced saved goal against.
  • Gathered bouncing ball in F50 but handballed straight to a Docker.
  • His man wins ground ball in D50 and he doesn't lay a tackle.

Third Quarter
  • Good hand ball receive and give to release Jy. But receives a little bump and has to go off.
  • Ground ball get and handball to target.
  • That Goal.

Forth Quarter.
I didn't bother has he only had 1 possession.

I challenge anyone to question any of this, and if you go back and watch with out your bias you will see that apart from his 2 goals he had an absolutely shitful game.

That's all you took from it? Your bias is outstanding. I'm getting real LT vibes here.

See edit.

I thought Stevo was poor last year, borderline in round 1 and better in round 2. Plenty of room to improve, but I like the trajectory, given the good bits are really, really good.

Cause I got accused of bias I went back and watched the replay. Here are all of his involvements, I've got time stamps if anyone wants them.

First Quarter
  • Hand ball receive and give but fails to shepherd resulting in a tackle and turn over. This is as bad, if not worse than the Scott example that has been given.
  • Trails his man to the fall of the ball from a contested pack and his man runs away with ball.

Second Quarter
  • Mark wide on wing and kicks straight to a Docker who drops it.. Stevo follows up to get handball receive but then kicks to a 2 on 1 deep inside F50.
  • Drops an easy mark 25 out and then loses ground ball 1 on 1 contest because of soft effort.
  • Trailed his man into defensive goal square and lucky bounced saved goal against.

Third Quarter
  • Good hand ball receive and give to release Jy. But receives a little bump and has to go off.
  • That Goal.

Forth Quarter.

I challenge anyone to question any of this, and if you go back and watch with out your bias you will see that apart from his 2 goals he had an absolutely shitful game.
Aside from that what else has the Romans ever done for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See edit.

I thought Stevo was poor last year, borderline in round 1 and better in round 2. Plenty of room to improve, but I like the trajectory, given the good bits are really, really good.
The good bits are good but there are way to few of them and then is bad is very very bad. Some of his turnovers on Saturday were just horrible. There is no way anyone can criticize other players disposals with out referencing Stevo as one of the worst.

We all know Wardlaw is going to be great, Tucker is a bull, WiPhi is a gun and George could be anything. Add in the fact Ford and Harvey can do very very good things its clear Stevos time is up. He's had his chance, he's shown he's not up to this level, time to move on and try someone else.

"To prove I'm not obsessed and carrying a weird personal bias, I dedicated hours to breaking down one individual player's game to try and prove my point! Now you guys will surely think I'm cool!"

"To prove I'm not obsessed and carrying a weird personal bias, I dedicated hours to breaking down one individual player's game to try and prove my point! Now you guys will surely think I'm cool!"
That’s a long way of saying, shit I was wrong.

Sorry it’s not in italic.

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
  • That Goal.

Forth Quarter.

You know that the AFL uploads all of this with video footage on their app right? Could have saved yourself a bit of trouble.

I sort of get your point but the simple fact is Stepho is 189cm , very quick , thinks quick, has form kicking
goals Yes has deficiencies, but a good team balances it all up
you may be proved right that he can not stand up at the top level, maybe
you should be able to recognise that this sort of analysis is a bit like the other guy and Scott

Both Stepho and Scott have a new coach and his pals looking at them, guess they will decide
and if TT isn’t going to work out then that’s a spot we need to fill

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
  • That Goal.

Forth Quarter.

haha this is the most pathetic shit ever and i guarantee every one of your interpretations is coloured by your ludicrous bias

I sort of get your point but the simple fact is Stepho is 189cm , very quick , thinks quick, has form kicking
goals Yes has deficiencies, but a good team balances it all up
you may be proved right that he can not stand up at the top level, maybe
you should be able to recognise that this sort of analysis is a bit like the other guy and Scott

Both Stepho and Scott have a new coach and his pals looking at them, guess they will decide
and if TT isn’t going to work out then that’s a spot we need to fill
Form kicking goals? Last 2 years he’s averaged about 1 goal every 2 games. He doesn’t bring much to the side.

Was at the game and watched him very closely. His work rate was at a level I didn't think we would ever see from him. It was especially pleasing to see him doing all of the little pressure acts that you don't get a stat for. Sure he still had a few dodgy moments, but that's all part of the package when it comes to enigmatic types like him.

It really does show what a difference a coach can make. Replicate this sort of change across hundreds of different aspects of the club and you can easily see how things have turned around so drastically in such a short period of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back