Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

family guy kicked off the bus GIF by HULU

How can ya blame them, bloke is dishing up comical errors. He will go get a hair transplant and be back in 2 years kicking 50 goals a season
I have no issue with the criticism about his football but the stuff they were saying were very personal regarding his family & state of mind.

Im 59 and remember thinking at the time if he was my son

anyway wish him the best hope he gets on with life

Did he flip flop back and forth around this decision over the last few weeks?

Or has it been steadfast from the moment you announced it and we’ve just kept it away from the media till now
The latter at a guess.

I just know it was a Stepho led call after the meeting with Clarko that prioritises his mental health and allows him to go about his life without the public scrutiny of being an AFL footballer who won the rising star at the Pies and exploded onto the scene. And ultimately couldnt handle it.

I have no issue with the criticism about his football but the stuff they were saying were very personal regarding his family & state of mind.

Im 59 and remember thinking at the time if he was my son

anyway wish him the best hope he gets on with life
You campaigners spat on Frawly. Take your virtue signalling elsewhere

Was an elite half forward in his rising star year and held that up for the first half of 2019, until the betting suspension.
Looked like he could be a valuable player for us in 2021 playing a hybrid mid/forward role. But apart from a couple of games in the first half of 23, he never got back to that post the bike crash.
A couple of sliding doors moments for Jaidyn, that turned the trajectory of his career for the worse.

No doubt AFL and club will provide great support. Be interesting to know what sort of clauses can or can’t be applied in such circumstances. Obviously no AFL in 2025 but can see him getting himself right and having a crack down the track when he realises it’s hard to make $500K a year doing something else.

No doubt AFL and club will provide great support. Be interesting to know what sort of clauses can or can’t be applied in such circumstances. Obviously no AFL in 2025 but can see him getting himself right and having a crack down the track when he realises it’s hard to make $500K a year doing something else.
Not sure BMX stunts pay $500k per year otherwise I would have continued on a childhood passion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think money has ever been a motivating factor for Stevo. I suspect he'd be happy working part time in a bottle shop and smoking bongs with his mates.

Not downplaying it but what had he done? I remember an instance where Stephens didn't crack in to a contest this year, costing us a goal, and he copped a pasting from every North fan within earshot, myself included. I'm not saying that such behaviour is reflective of well-adjusted, civil individuals, but usually there's a reason for the crowd getting stuck into someone
Prior to that is a bit dusty in my mind, but maybe kicked out on the full. He frustrated the hell out of me too, but I just remember feeling really humiliated for the bloke. Was sad. Has never happened before where I felt bad for a bloke copping it at the footy and I’ve been going for 40+ years. Can hear everything at Marvel, it was venomous.
Anyway, pay for ya ticket ya get ya ride and all that. Just felt for the bloke, maybe because I’m getting older and have a son who’s now 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back