Rumour 2 Melbourne Clubs in Dire Straits

Remove this Banner Ad

Scientology is the St Kilda of religion though

Lots of money, lots of followers who are mostly dickheads, their HQ is in the west, see where i'm going here :p

Lots of money, lots of followers who are mostly dickheads, their HQ is in the west, see where i'm going here :p

You've also described Richmond perfectly in the bolded.

From memory, Western Bulldogs were charging their fans hundreds of dollars for photos with the premiership cup, right?

Let's say they charged $200 each to the 40k fans the Bulldogs would have, that's about 800k right there.

Pretty handy money for a small club.
Hope you're not their accountant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. All clubs would like to retain their autonomy if they were able to. The 4 big clubs are able to do that by relying on their cash reserves. Adelaide is hoping to do the same, just by accessing a different revenue stream available to them. If all of the clubs were able to be unassisted clubs, they would.

Will be interesting to see Carlton's books though.
Interesting to see how Carlton are in the shit considering you guys average 30 plus a Range Rover to your home games

I think the AFL will be doing their best to try to prevent any clubs folding, but who knows if things start getting intangible for the AFL to lift so many clubs and may need to stop giving out loans to a club or two in order for the rest to survive.

Even if Carlton get into financial trouble they do have a lot of wealthy benefactors who may help out the club.
Mate as much as everyone hates Carlton ,you think if Carlton folded ,the AFL comp would be business as usual ?
You think it wouldnt affect revenue to opposition clubs ?

I really don't understand the West Coast thing, no Richmond supporters ever really cared about West Coast but all of a sudden every thread devolves into West Coast fans complaining about Vicbias and bringing Richmond randomly into things that have nothing to do with Richmond.
Perhaps its because the AFL gifted you last years flag no?

Perhaps its because the AFL gifted you last years flag no?

Yeah gifted us a 90 odd point win. In a game that didn't involve west coast.

2017 yeah maybe, 2019 all our home finals were genuine.

You can't even get our 'gifted' flags correct

In before "last 7 games at the g" whilst ignoring that our first genuine home game was like round 12 but no one cared then

Last edited:
surely it is time to question all that funding to a basket case like Gold Coast before any Melbourne based clubs fold
No, 1 Melbourne club needs to fold, or at the very least merge with another. That opens the door for a stand alone club in Tasmania. Not sure how that will affect the bottom lines of both Hawthorn and North as they have become reliant on the income generated (via the Tasssie govt.) from their Tassie "home games" (what is that income anyway, $1M a game?)

Mate as much as everyone hates Carlton ,you think if Carlton folded ,the AFL comp would be business as usual ?
You think it wouldnt affect revenue to opposition clubs ?
Not sure why you think I was saying Carlton would fold. In fact I was saying they are unlikely to fold even if they get into financial trouble due to the wealthy supporters they have.

Though on the very unlikely event Carlton does fold it would still be business as usual. Carlton have been a basket case for the last 20 years and the AFL competition has been managing okay. Just as it had been managing okay even when Richmond were a basket case for 30 years before the last decade. Even if a single 'big' club leaves the competition, it will be a small bump in the road and the AFL will move on.

Last edited:
Not sure why you think I was saying Carlton would fold. In fact I was saying they are unlikely to fold even if they get into financial trouble due to the wealthy supporters they have.

Though on the very unlikely event Carlton does fold it would still be business as usual. Carlton have been a basket case for the last 20 years and the AFL competition has been managing okay. Just as it had been managing okay even when Richmond were a basket case for 30 years before the last decade. Even if a single 'big' club leaves the competition, it will be a small bump in the road and the AFL will move on.

Yeah it wouldn't be small.

The financial impact would be enormous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2 Melbourne Clubs in Dire Straits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back