Traded 2. Paddy Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people so caught up on the title? It's just conversation provoking. FWIW though, I thought he was very good in his first season as a first year player. So perhaps resurrection is the correct term.

Nonetheless, I've been a massive advocate for Dow as I believe him to be a good user by foot, pacy, evasive and strong in the contest. He has traits that could make him an elite midfielder. Look at him too, he's barely hit puberty. He is for sure a late bloomer and I have no doubt as he grows bigger, stronger and more mature that his confidence will rise. He looked confident on the weekend and it paid dividends.

He's yet to have a full game on-ball this season. If he does, he is fully capable of 30 touches.

I'm stoked with what I saw from his 20 on Sunday. I took my partner to the game and told her to keep an eye on him as I think he's an exciting, young player with so much upside. Outside of Cripps, Eddie and McKay - Dow is my girlfriends new favourite player!

DOW
SPS
KENNEDY
DC
FISHER
LOB
STOCKER

These are all players that we invested heavily in in terms of picks and that we expected a quicker return on investment.
But getting impatient can be counter productive. It would be a huge mistake to let any of these guys go at this point in time.

Not all players are going to be Sam walshes or Marc Murphy’s who make an impact straight away. Look at most successful clubs and they get the best value out of their picks by slowly developing their players.

Successful clubs can afford the luxury of letting their younger players percolate in their reserves side and bring them into an established structure surrounded by mature mids that can protect and compensate for any deficiencies a young player might have.

The key is recognising when a young player just doesn’t have enough afl strengths and move them on quickly. But in the list above, all have shown glimpses of having what it takes…the weakest at this point probably being LOB. But his first year under BB was certainly promising.

An afl list needs a lot of depth in their midfield rotation and they should be afl ready in terms of tank and strength. Without this depth, the inevitable injuries can lead to exposing younger mids too early and the problems this brings to both team performance and player confidence and development.

Now we have the above described depth, let’s not throw away any advantage just as it’s maturing. Next year MM Will be gone, Ed maybe the year after. They will need replacing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just another example of a player at Carlton potentially succeeding - despite poor management and development. It is no accident that only generational talents like Cripps/Weitering/Walsh have been able to play strong roles pretty much from the get-go - Bolton erred in overplaying the youth and Teague has erred in not playing them enough to their strengths. The sugar hit of late-season wins when he was caretaker unfortunately translated into ignoring or playing them out of position in favour of trade in rejects from other Clubs the following year - with results that pretty much in line with the talent he decided to bet on and the negatives being stalled development of the listed players above - exacerbated ( admittedly) by the lack of VFL due to Covid in 2020 and a very ordinary VFL list of non AFL players in '21 - along with diminished coaching resources - courtesy of spending reductions.

The trade in 'money ball' type bandaid can't be the prime mover in team development if the Club wishes to achieve sustainable success as measured by finals appearances. Investing in really developing young players has to become a priority at Calton - the test will be the quality of coaching pedigree deployed in development roles.

Knew some of the Pioneers players and coaches of the time..
They have always told me Dow was the best Junior they have seen, hence why I support him so much...

Hopefully we can unlock that talent...
Teague and Co has failed him so far, but finally he is actually getting same time on the ball...
Surprise, surprise his form has risen drastically..

It's a two way street. I don't think Dow has put in enough hard work (least during games) in the past.

Think It's a naive cop out to blame Teague and the coaching staff for Paddy Dow not coming on as expected so far, takes away any kind of onus/personal responsibility on the player.

Just another example of a player at Carlton potentially succeeding - despite poor management and development. It is no accident that only generational talents like Cripps/Weitering/Walsh have been able to play strong roles pretty much from the get-go - Bolton erred in overplaying the youth and Teague has erred in not playing them enough to their strengths. The sugar hit of late-season wins when he was caretaker unfortunately translated into ignoring or playing them out of position in favour of trade in rejects from other Clubs the following year - with results that pretty much in line with the talent he decided to bet on and the negatives being stalled development of the listed players above - exacerbated ( admittedly) by the lack of VFL due to Covid in 2020 and a very ordinary VFL list of non AFL players in '21 - along with diminished coaching resources - courtesy of spending reductions.

The trade in 'money ball' type bandaid can't be the prime mover in team development if the Club wishes to achieve sustainable success as measured by finals appearances. Investing in really developing young players has to become a priority at Calton - the test will be the quality of coaching pedigree deployed in development roles.

On the other hand, I think Teague moving Fisher into a roving small forward type role has been a masterstroke from the coach.

It's a two way street. I don't think Dow has put in enough hard work (least during games) in the past.

Think It's a naive cop out to blame Teague and the coaching staff for Paddy Dow not coming on as expected so far, takes away any kind of onus/personal responsibility on the player.

Maybe if it were only him. When it's across the board it's probably time to question the management.

Maybe if it were only him. When it's across the board it's probably time to question the management.

But let's be fair here, these young player development/coaching issues have been at the club for a lot longer than since Teague has been coach, so I am hoping this review will find out for the reasons why and hopefully put better structure/support measures into hopefully rectifying it.

Hoping we can make Kemp healthy and see what he can give to your team (probably not until next season In the seniors)

Knew some of the Pioneers players and coaches of the time..
They have always told me Dow was the best Junior they have seen, hence why I support him so much...

Hopefully we can unlock that talent...
Teague and Co has failed him so far, but finally he is actually getting same time on the ball...
Surprise, surprise his form has risen drastically..
Dustin Martin was a pretty good junior at the Pioneers, so that's an interesting reflection. Dow did then go to the Geelong private school where obviously the bad habits started ...

The kid can play. From what I see he has been down on confidence. It’s poor development by the club. Four years is plenty to build a tank and feel at home at the coal face. My criticism is in the way he has been used. In and out of the side. Played out of position.
As per a previous post of mine. Let him roam instinctively. Then, sit back and smile!
Kept out of the coal face because a coach didn’t want to play him in his midfield… not Teague. Now he’s being played in the midfield and we can see why SOS grabbed him.

But let's be fair here, these young player development/coaching issues have been at the club for a lot longer than since Teague has been coach, so I am hoping this review will find out for the reasons why and hopefully put better structure/support measures into hopefully rectifying it.

Hoping we can make Kemp healthy and see what he can give to your team (probably not until next season In the seniors)
The only person involved with coaching for the last 10 years has left the club, a new coach has taken over the midfield and we saw an improvement in the midfield last week, if our mids keep improving, then we know the reason behind the lack of development.

The only person involved with coaching for the last 10 years has left the club, a new coach has taken over the midfield and we saw an improvement in the midfield last week, if our mids keep improving, then we know the reason behind the lack of development.
We did lose the clearances by 16. Not sure that is that big an improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be putting everyone in the same boat and it's just one game. We still have too many smallish mids that don't offer us much in the way of matchups. Some of them should be up for trade at the right price. Just keeping our allocated picks every draft and/or trading some of them out every time we get the itch (no matter what the draft is like that year) is not going to cut it.

Not sure resurrection is the right word. That would imply he was practically dead, and seeing as he is a youngster I think that's a bit unfair.

In saying that, I think it was his best game for the club and I couldn't be happier. Not only did he find a fair bit of it, but he used it well, showed off his pace, and also stood strong at times, took some strong marks that really stood out for me. And the goal topped it off.

I have always felt he is a very, very important cog for us. Not just because we invested a pick 3 on him, but because of the position he plays (which we are shallow in) and the skill set he brings (that pace/burst from stoppages is a much sought after and damaging trait that not many players have).

He looks like he is starting to believe now, and has started to adjust to the demands, rigours and intensity of playing onball in the AFL. Teague would be well served to give him plenty of onball minutes now so the kid can hopefully string together some form.

Dare I say it, it could be onwards and upwards now?

I mean, his statistics bore similarly to Adam Cooney across his first 3 seasons, and in his fourth he was hit a) by an injury during preseason, b) during the Covid year.

It's premature, though, to say this is his resurrection. It's one game. He needs to finish off the season like this, and he needs to continue to build. His TOG sits at 73%, and I'd prefer it higher; he laid 3 tackles, and I'd prefer it sitting at around 6.

But it's definitely a step in the right direction, and I've looooooong been a supporter of his. So here's me crossing my fingers, my toes and my eyes.

We did lose the clearances by 16. Not sure that is that big an improvement.
When we did win a clearance it seemed more structured we seemed to retain possession until the ball was delivered into the forward line rather than hacking it out
We also gave ground and Hand balled or kicked backwards to maintain possession
It felt like we valued maintaing possession more even in tight

Another huge opportunity for him this week against a Fremantle side that lacks mid-field monsters.

Really will be matched up against peers in Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong and Co.

Go out and get 25 and a goal or two Paddy.

Feels like a bit of a mini-audition this weekend.
Cerra cleans us up, we go after him.
Dows looks the goods, and we say we're good thanks and take our picks to the draft.

Dustin Martin was a pretty good junior at the Pioneers, so that's an interesting reflection. Dow did then go to the Geelong private school where obviously the bad habits started ...

Not sure you can blame his bad habits on him going to a private school, considering most first round draft picks every year come from those schools

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded 2. Paddy Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back