AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

331008851_755798885983004_3234417162538556081_n.jpg

God I love him

If Heppell retains captaincy and Sammy has another year where he goes up another level - and becomes a little more consistent - I think he's a huge change of being captain in 2024. A young leadership group of Merrett, McGrath, Redman, Draper & Ridley would be scrumptious.

Captains’ finals snub providing Essendon with ‘fire in the belly’

Ronny Lerner
Essendon was one of just five clubs not tipped to make the finals this year in the annual AFL captains’ survey this week, and Bombers cult hero Sam Draper said it has given his team added motivation to finish in the top eight.

The Dons last made the finals in 2021, and have been somewhat of a yo-yo club having finished in the top eight six times in the last 13 years. But they are still searching for their first finals win since 2004.
But Draper was adamant that, despite only winning seven games in 2022, it was wrong to write off Essendon so early in the year.

Sam Draper shows some dash last year.

Sam Draper shows some dash last year.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS / GETTY IMAGES

“Look, I obviously wasn’t too happy to see that,” the emerging ruckman said of the survey results on Friday.
“But for our group, and for me in particular, it puts a bit of fire in the belly, and makes me want to prove people wrong.

“We’re not here just to take part, we’re here to go far into finals and go well.”
During the week Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd told 3AW that the Bombers had to be “tougher” and “nastier” in 2023, and Draper agreed.
“If you want to be a good team like, say, (premiers) Geelong for example, they’ve got a bit of a nasty streak in them so you’ve got to be really competitive,” Draper said.

Essendon’s midfield has come under scrutiny for being undersized, hence their decision to recruit the big-bodied Will Setterfield from Carlton in the off-season, but Draper went as far as to say that his on-ball unit could “definitely” help win the Bombers a premiership.
“We’ve got a really diverse group there and they’ve got a lot of strengths. I think if we put it all together, we could be really dangerous,” Draper said.

“We’ve seen patches of it, we’re just striving for some more consistency, so that’s what a big focus this pre-season has been – a lot of our contest work – so I think we’ve got the boys who can do it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty close to a four goal game. Had Durham pinch one at the end and robbed of a mark/obvious front on call about 10 metres out as well. Bullied the undersized hawks.
He had 9 possessions and 11 hit outs. 2 goals is a good contribution but overall, he didn't do enough against average opposition. Only round 1, so plenty of time for him but he doesnt do enough for all the hype he gets for mine. Big test this week. Up against Witts who had 51 hit outs. Yes, you can say hit outs are over-rated and stuff like that, but I think he needs to give us more.

He had 9 possessions and 11 hit outs. 2 goals is a good contribution but overall, he didn't do enough against average opposition. Only round 1, so plenty of time for him but he doesnt do enough for all the hype he gets for mine. Big test this week. Up against Witts who had 51 hit outs. Yes, you can say hit outs are over-rated and stuff like that, but I think he needs to give us more.
Draper has struggled against those really big boys in his career so far.

I thought he was top 7-8 players for us. He does so much that doesnt end up in stats. Hes very much like Mumford who could be the most influtential bloke on the field with 8 touches. I agree that he does need to do it against better oppositon though.

Random af. Draper and Erin Phillips doing stuff in SA. She's the captain of Port's AFLW side, grew up there, father/daughter for them. Lived there at least the last five years after coming back from her basketball career overseas. But Drapes seems to be more actually familiar with SA than she is despite not living there for 7-8 years

Random af. Draper and Erin Phillips doing stuff in SA. She's the captain of Port's AFLW side, grew up there, father/daughter for them. Lived there at least the last five years after coming back from her basketball career overseas. But Drapes seems to be more actually familiar with SA than she is despite not living there for 7-8 years
Adelaide doesn’t change that much in 8 years and the southern suburbs are a bit apart from the rest of the city, especially as far south as Old Reynella. Drapes would know that area and MacLaren Vale very well. One of my old workmates said he was still half drunk at schoolies in Victor when Dodoro called to tell him they’d draft him. Drapes didn’t believe him at first but then had to leg it back to Adelaide to get a flight that night and left all his gear in Victor.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back