AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Very very good today. Took a few big marks in the forward line and around the ground. Also evident how much fitter he is than Bryan at this stage of their careers.

Theres been a couple of occasions where he’s taken a big pack mark to stop one last thrust from the opposition in a close game this year. It’s moments like that which make you realise just how important he might be in the years ahead.

You iron out his rough edges. Then you have a unique weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the last quarter again and had to laugh when he took the mark in the dying seconds and all his team mates all yelled and held up their hands telling him not to play on like he was Forest Gump running out the stadium after a touchdown.

Just watched the last quarter again and had to laugh when he took the mark in the dying seconds and all his team mates all yelled and held up their hands telling him not to play on like he was Forest Gump running out the stadium after a touchdown.
I was hoping he would do the flippity fish again :p

As annoying as some of the easy misses and other dumb shit can be he's improving. And given his age and that he came to the game late the upside could still be pretty high. I think we need to stay the course with Draper (unfortunately at times).

Personally hate that he's spending as much time deep forward as he is, but I think his play in general is showing good signs of late. Is making better decisions more regularly and when he has a realistic chance, he's taking grabs more often than he used to.

Liked his game last night. Working hard on as few things to improve. His goal kicking around the corner was new and I didn't mind it. Also, it seemed as if he realized he could use his ruck skills around the ground...instead of just bring bringing the ball to ground when out of position marking, he was palming it to our advantage (or trying to). Noticed this 3 or 4 times and it was very deliberate and something I had not noticed him doing much before. He assisted Stringer in that goal and nearly gave him another in the first.

If he could actively look to tackle every time after a ruck contest (like Xerri does), set a goal, 5 plus tackles per game, I am sure it would take him to another level.

Im not letting Draper go unless it gets us a best 22 physical ruck around the same age in return. His strenghs are starting to shine through consistently and he has matured as the year has gone on. Only 26. He compliments Bryan well and both can coexist for a long time in my opinion. Playing Draper as a ruck/fwd is not the reason our forwardline has been dogshit this year. He is not causing the balance issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back