Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

You did not see much of Richmond 2010-2014?
They were young and in rebuild mode for quite some time. Hardwick always had them playing a very attractive brand of football.

To even lump Chris Scott in the same class as him is somewhat perplexing. He also evolves his list. He played 6 new players this year when they were very much in it to win it.
Unlike Scott heading into season 2022, I have a feeling he will be refreshing their list by playing a lot of the next generation.

On the issue of new players, you are factually mistaken.

From 2011 to 2021, Geelong debuted 54 players, and Richmond debuted 49 players. So more players have debuted under Scott than under Hardwick. I am referring here to actual debuts—first AFL game, not first game for a club.

You make a song and dance about Hardwick debuting six players last year while still in contention. Yet in 2012, while in contention, Scott debuted ten players, a record for a premiership team. Geelong also debuted eight players in 2017 and seven in 2018 while still in contention.

So to be very clear, more 'new players' have been introduced during Scott's time at Geelong than at Richmond. There is no basis to your claim that Hardwick 'evolves his list' while Scott doesn't.

Another thing, while I am at it. Scott likes to recruit players, whereas Hardwick's all about developing players and youth, right? No, not really.
Since 2011, Geelong has given games to twenty recruits from other clubs, while Richmond has played twenty-four. So, since 2011, Geelong have played fewer trade recruits than Richmond.

Of course, the list isn't Hardwick's or Scott's to 'evolve'. The idea that list management is the head coach's responsibility or that team selection is his sole responsibility is a quaint idea some posters refuse to give up.

Last edited:
I think you may have embarrassed yourself a bit there by highlighting a ridiculous anti scott bias. Scott transitioned an entire dynasty list and kept us in Premlims and GF's almost every single year despite losing champions year in year out. I mean you literally can't get a more complete example of transitioning an entire list of that quality (which is always the hardest as hawthorn and brisbane have shown) than scott and the list management have done since he took over in 2011.

You realize Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood and Duncan still remained in the last grand final?
Yes we have lost some considerable talent along the way, Ablett, Scarlett, Kelly, Corey, Chapman, Johnson, Ottens, Bartel, Ling, Enright and T.Kelly but on the flip side, Scott has gained some pretty decent players like Henderson (26), Tuohy (27), Dangerfield (25), Cameron (28).
Welcomed back Ablett and hit the jackpot with Stewart and Henry.

I don't call this a complete transition.
It's getting the very last drop out of the older players (Enright, Mackie, Lonergan) before hitting free agency to immediately replace them. We do it just as well as what Hawthorn did during their premiership run.

Even in last year's draft, Geelong brought in a player who finished 12th in Hawthorn's B&F having only played 10 games for the season. He would finish 4th for us. Another player who contributed immensely to help the club get into finals.
As long as you bring in blokes who are ready made, and really fill your best 22 with them, you have a better chance at winning than going with youth.

From 2011 to 2021, Geelong debuted 54 players, and Richmond debuted 49 players. So more players have debuted under Scott than under Hardwick. I am referring here to actual debuts—first AFL game, not first game for a club.

You make a song and dance about Hardwick debuting six players last year while still in contention. Yet in 2012, while in contention, Scott debuted ten players, a record for a premiership team. Geelong also debuted eight players in 2017 and seven in 2018 while still in contention.

So to be very clear, more 'new players' have been introduced during Scott's time at Geelong than at Richmond. There is no basis to your claim that Hardwick 'evolves his list' while Scott doesn't.

Another thing, while I am at it. Scott likes to recruit players, whereas Hardwick's all about developing players and youth, right? No, not really.
Since 2011, Geelong has given games to twenty recruits from other clubs, while Richmond has played twenty-four. So, since 2011, Geelong have played fewer trade recruits than Richmond.

Of course, the list isn't Hardwick's or Scott's to 'evolve'. The idea that list management is the head coach's responsibility or that team selection is his sole responsibility is a quaint idea some posters refuse to give up.
You must be a gc26 fan.

You just said Hardwick was handed a talented team and the main reason why they have been successful is because they hang around in matches before 'the cream rises to the top'.
If only Scott's talented teams in recent years could do something similar instead of getting blown out of the park and game over by halftime.

Just imagine actually being in the game heading into the last quarter.

Isaac Smith said it best, the most embarrassing game he has ever been apart of. That coming from a person who only knows what winning and success means.

No, you said he got a shit team playing attractive football. I said he got them
Playing the same sort of occasionally attractive football they already played and they more or less stayed the same until he formulated a fairly basic gameplan and wrung every last drop out of it. He didn’t take a Melbourne from 2-20 tears to glory, he took mediocre Richmond who always had a decent amount of talent to glory. He hasn’t taken a team from basement to penthouse, he’s taken a team from underachieving to glory. Like Scott he hasn’t proven he can build a team from scratch with absolute bare bones either.

My read on Scott extension -

-notwithstanding no premiership since 2011, the board, Hocking, Lloyd and most importantly players have immense respect for Scott, particularly calmness during COVID disruption.
-the above folk would take account of bad luck with Stewart and other injuries and even the gastro bout in forgiving the Prelim result
-very reluctant to change given likelihood that will be challenging again next year and fact need to do well/play finals due to financial hardship from last 2 years
-Think Scott probably best placed to rebuild (if we start that in day 2023) given he knows the list well and presumably is good with younger players (except for not playing them in AFL!).
-therefore needed to lock in Chris now (given other clubs on look out for a new coach).

I’m okay with that so long as Chris moves us away from the possession game and recruiting 30+ YOs.

Last edited:
You realize Hawkins, Taylor, Selwood and Duncan still remained in the last grand final?
Yes we have lost some considerable talent along the way, Ablett, Scarlett, Kelly, Corey, Chapman, Johnson, Ottens, Bartel, Ling, Enright and T.Kelly but on the flip side, Scott has gained some pretty decent players like Henderson (26), Tuohy (27), Dangerfield (25), Cameron (28).
Welcomed back Ablett and hit the jackpot with Stewart and Henry.

I don't call this a complete transition.
It's getting the very last drop out of the older players (Enright, Mackie, Lonergan) before hitting free agency to immediately replace them. We do it just as well as what Hawthorn did during their premiership run.

Even in last year's draft, Geelong brought in a player who finished 12th in Hawthorn's B&F having only played 10 games for the season. He would finish 4th for us. Another player who contributed immensely to help the club get into finals.
As long as you bring in blokes who are ready made, and really fill your best 22 with them, you have a better chance at winning than going with youth.

You realise in 2011 Brisbane still had Simon Black, Johnathon Brown, Ash McGrath and Luke Power from their 2003 premiership team don’t you?

Yeah 4 players residual from a flag a decade ago - I mean why would anyone expect us to be doing anything aside from winning flags with such a huge contingent of flag experience

I agree but name more than a handful of great finals coaches.Scotty puts us in a position to contend every year. 15 years ago we all would have been begging for a coach to do that.
But he has failed to deliver 10 years in a row, if you're happy with that then all is good.

I regret dragging you in here PhatBoy what a sad standard of discourse.
Open question, if only 4 players on the list in 2011 how on earth is that not considered a full transition?

Scott has seen 59 new faces in his time as coach
Hardwick has seen 61 new faces in his time as coach.

You do realize that Ling, Ottens, Mooney, Blake, Milburn all retired the previous season?
It was due to necessity to blood kids and fill the void. We still had a strong nucleus though so while only one player managed 10+ games (Smedts), only two were still playing senior footy by seasons end.

Hardwick will be judged upon by how well he manages this next transitional phase of the list.
They have lost quality in Newman, Grigg, Rance and now Astbury & Houli.
They have now brought in a ready made player in Robbie Tarrant from the Kangaroos just as we did with Jared Rivers end of 2011.
Cotchin, Grimes, Martin, Edwards, Riewoldt are going to be hard to replace. I doubt they ever replace Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt but if 2021 was anything to go by, they are going to keep pumping games into kids.

You realise in 2011 Brisbane still had Simon Black, Johnathon Brown, Ash McGrath and Luke Power from their 2003 premiership team don’t you?

Yeah 4 players residual from a flag a decade ago - I mean why would anyone expect us to be doing anything aside from winning flags with such a huge contingent of flag experience

I think you have been living under a rock the last 5 years or something.
Our list has been highly fancied ever since Dangerfield jumped aboard. From media experts to betting markets. Even this past season, we were 2nd favorite to win it all.
Heading into finals, we were still 2nd favourites to win the flag without Stewart.
Anytime a team already in contention adds a goal kicking superstar like Cameron to it, you better bloody well hope we can win another premiership.

Instead, we farted it away.

No, you said he got a sh*t team playing attractive football.

No I did not.

You call it failing. Lots of people call it ‘doing exactly what the in-no-way-under-pressure John Longmire has done’ and I don’t think Sydney are in any hurry to let him go.

Longmire already transitioned the list after they beat Hawthorn in the 2012 grand final.
Goodes, Shaw, Richards, Mitchell, Jones, Grundy, Hannebery, McVeigh, Jack, Bolton, Malceski, O'Keefe, they are gone.
He's coached Sydney to three grand finals and just took them to the finals. Only Three 30 year old's too.

You would be ballsy to predict Geelong to have success before they do. In fact, wouldn't be surprised they finish above us next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you may have embarrassed yourself a bit there by highlighting a ridiculous anti scott bias. Scott transitioned an entire dynasty list and kept us in Premlims and GF's almost every single year despite losing champions year in year out. I mean you literally can't get a more complete example of transitioning an entire list of that quality (which is always the hardest as hawthorn and brisbane have shown) than scott and the list management have done since he took over in 2011.
And what do we have to show for it? Apart from an elderly list and a completely embarrassing finals record? But I guess we’re still in transition? Too early to tell?

Last edited:
And what do we have to show for it? Apart from an elderly list and a completely embarrassing finals record? But I guess we’re still in transition? Too early to tell?

How can you have a completely embarrassing finals record if you make pre-lims almost every single year?

You call it failing. Lots of people call it ‘doing exactly what the in-no-way-under-pressure John Longmire has done’ and I don’t think Sydney are in any hurry to let him go.

Sydney have completely changed the way they move the ball and have played the kids. If Scott can do that next year then good

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How can you have a completely embarrassing finals record if you make pre-lims almost every single year?

You get blown off the park in weeks 1 and 3

Did anyone find out whether with the break down with Enright and Scarlett it was Scott or Scarlett not wanting to evolve?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bravo. Facts matter. 👏

Nothing against your opinion or actions, but membership has grown during that period. Even during Covid. So don't really know what to say, except that maybe you are one of the minority?

Yes ... but.... It's a growing minority..
Two people I sit with just cancelled their membership and I have been left alone.
Watching a dull game style... alone?? ... I have a decision to make.

Conspiracy theory. :greenalien:

Scott really is burnt out and believes he only has one season left in him (naturally that could change as the season progresses), BUT to stop the continued speculation and distraction during next year on his future, the club has given him a 2 year extension on minimal money.

Thus if at the end of next season if he still wants to leave, the club doesn't have to fork out a huge amount of money to pay him out. If he changes his mind and wants to continue, AND the club is agreeable then the 2 year extension will be renegotiated.

Terrible decision... Didn't expect anything else though - getting reemed and embarrassed in finals is considered a success by the club lololol.. how dare anyone suggest a thing called change could lead to a better outcome - its not like Chris has had enough time to control every aspect of the list and game plan...

But he has failed to deliver 10 years in a row, if you're happy with that then all is good.

He has put the team in a position to win.
Just like Goggin did... Just like Blighty did... Just like Ayres did... Just like Bomber did...
That is all you can ask. You want them to be able to contend, compete and ultimately succeed as team, as individuals.
The rest. The winning part. Is up to the players on the field.
If you don't understand that players win you games and are happy to blame coaches when they don't & be happy with that, then all is good.

Just like Goggin did... Just like Blighty did... Just like Ayres did... Just like Bomber did...
That is all you can ask. You want them to be able to contend, compete and ultimately succeed as team, as individuals.
If you don't understand that players win you games and are happy to blame coaches when they don't & be happy with that, then all is good.
:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Compete?? We did not look competitive against Melbourne... It was embarrassing... Tell me where the team is going to improve. Chris bet on recruiting old blokes for short term success and failed. Now we are stuck with a list full of blokes who can hardly run out a full season and little if any young talent. What isn't to like about his strategy and success...

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back