NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Franchise Players/Free Agency/High Profile Releases

There's so much activity going on, it's hard to keep up with it all. My head is spinning with rumors and "inside sources say" and speculation, not to mention what all the action is doing to our fantasy keepers etc.

I'm gonna have to organize a special day with my top hat and just sit down and analyze stuff, too distracted at the moment to think straight.

Brian Dawkins Signs in Denver
Friday, February 27, 2009
Posted By Mike Florio 4:38 PM
After 13 years with the Eagles, safety Brian Dawkins will have a new home.

David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Dawkins has agreed to terms with the Broncos.

Dawkins, 35, had said during the season that he thought he'd work out a deal to end his career in Philly. It could still happen, but only after a stint with the Broncos.

UPDATE: After some conflicting reports on whether Dawkins had done a deal with Denver, we're told that he finally has signed a contract to join the Broncos.
What the chance the story will change again?

What a day! It's always exciting but some big moves today, here's a summary of the confirmed signings on day 1 of free-agency (courtesy yahoo sports)

Baltimore Ravens
Marques Douglas DE Cut
Domonique Foxworth CB Signed/unrestricted free agent (Four-year contract)

Buffalo Bills Jabari Greer CB
Gibran Hamdan QB Re-signed
Dustin Fox CB Re-signed
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Signed/unrestricted free agent

Chicago Bears
Frank Omiyale T Signed/unrestricted free agent

Cincinnati Bengals
Chris Crocker S Re-signed/unrestricted free agent
DeDe Dorsey RB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent

Cleveland Browns
Kellen Winslow TE Traded to Tampa Bay (for draft picks)
Sean Jones S

Denver Broncos
Lonie Paxton C Signed/unrestricted free agent (Five-year contract)
Jabar Gaffney WR Signed/unrestricted free agent (Four-year contract)
Renaldo Hill S Signed/unrestricted free agent (Four-year contract)

Detroit Lions
Maurice Morris RB Signed/unrestricted free agent (Three-year contract)

Houston Texans
Joel Dreessen TE Re-signed/restricted free agent (Three-year contract)
Sage Rosenfels QB Traded to Minnesota (for a 4th round draft pick)
Eugene Wilson CB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Three-year contract)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Sean Considine S Signed/unrestricted free agent (Two-year contract)
Scott Starks CB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent
Brian Iwuh LB Re-signed/restricted free agent
Brad Meester C Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Four-year contract)

Kansas City Chiefs
Mike Vrabel LB Traded to Kansas City (for an undisclosed draft pick)

Miami Dolphins
Joe Berger G Signed/unrestricted free agent

Minnesota Vikings
Jim Kleinsasser TE Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Three-year contract)
Sage Rosenfels QB Signed (Two-year contract)
Jayme Mitchell DE Re-signed (Two-year contract)

New Orleans Saints Jonathan Vilma LB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Five-year contract)

New England Patriots
Fred Taylor RB Signed/unrestricted free agent
Mike Vrabel LB Traded to Kansas City (for an undisclosed draft pick)
Chris Baker TE Signed/unrestricted free agent

New York Jets
Bart Scott LB Signed/unrestricted free agent (Six-year contract)
Tony Richardson RB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent

Pittsburgh Steelers
Sean McHugh TE Re-signed/restricted free agent (Three-year contract)
Chris Kemoeatu G Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Five-year contract)

San Francisco 49ers
Moran Norris RB Signed/unrestricted free agent (Three-year contract)
Allen Rossum CB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent
Takeo Spikes LB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Two-year contract)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kellen Winslow TE Traded to Tampa Bay (for draft picks)
Antonio Bryant WR Re-signed/franchise player (One year tender offer)
Tennessee Titans
Kerry Collins QB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Two-year contract)
Vincent Fuller S Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Three-year contract)

Washington Redskins
Albert Haynesworth DT Signed/unrestricted free agent (Seven-year contract)
DeAngelo Hall CB Re-signed/unrestricted free agent (Six-year contract)
Derrick Dockery G Signed/unrestricted free agent (Five-year contract)

Given your faith in the draft, you should be cheering, not sighing. ;)
I want to sign some players with the dosh :p Not trading draft picks... I'm confident Reese can give another solid batch :thumbsu :p

Wow, the Redskins are such an exciting team, in the off season, good team to follow. :D

Oh, and they've released Springs, according to redskins.com

I'm presuming more will need to be released, or there are large brown paper bags in Washington.:D

In the fifth year of the deal, Haynesworth is due to receive a whopping $29 million in salary and bonuses. And since he'll be 32 when the 2013 season begins, the Redskins likely won't pay those amounts.

Well that explains a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like Matt Cassel will be a Chief; he will be traded to KC as part of the Vrabel deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3942130

UPDATE: It is being reported that KC gets Cassel and Vrabel, Pats get the Chiefs 2nd rounder.

Pretty good deal for both.

Thought the Pats may be able to get a 1st for Cassell, but a high second is excellent. And the Chiefs basically get Vrabel for free (IMO).

Flipside, apparently Bruschi isn't happy that Vrabel was traded.

On a seperate note, Jay Cutler is upset his name is being thrown around in trade talks. Both the Buccs and Lions have thrown around 3-way trades involving Cutler and Cassell.

I'm thinking where there's smoke there's fire, and not 100% convinced the Broncos are happy with Cutler...

Pretty good deal for both.

Thought the Pats may be able to get a 1st for Cassell, but a high second is excellent. And the Chiefs basically get Vrabel for free (IMO).

Flipside, apparently Bruschi isn't happy that Vrabel was traded.

On a seperate note, Jay Cutler is upset his name is being thrown around in trade talks. Both the Buccs and Lions have thrown around 3-way trades involving Cutler and Cassell.

I'm thinking where there's smoke there's fire, and not 100% convinced the Broncos are happy with Cutler...

Just read about this whole saga on nfl.com. I can't believe the Broncos are even giving two seconds thought about involving Cutler in a trade. But as you say, they are giving indications that they're not fully behind him for some reason. Anyhow, it's clear that they've mis-managed the situation and have a disgruntled QB for the time being....

Lifted this from Broncos website, re Dawkins....

DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos have announced the signing of safety Brian Dawkins.
"Brian Dawkins is a special, special person and an even better player," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said when introducing Dawkins. "One of the things I realized once free agency opened is he's exactly what the Denver Broncos are looking for. He's dedicated and serious about the game. He wants to come to a place where he can win. It's our priveledge to add him as the newest Denver Bronco. He's going to provide us with great leadership, great attitude."
He comes to Denver after spending the last 13 years in Philadelphia. The Eagles selected Dawkins in the second round of the 1996 NFL Draft, and since then, he has built a reputation as one of the league's most elite safeties.
"This is an absolute blessing," Dawkins said. "I'm a blessed man. I've been blessed to play for a great organization and to come to another great organization."
During his time in Philadelphia, Dawkins was voted to seven Pro Bowls and also earned AP All-Pro honors five times. He's a member of the Eagles' 75th Anniversary Team and was a finalist for the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year award this past season.
For his career, he has racked up nearly 1,000 tackles while also notching 34 interceptions and 21 sacks. Those numbers put him in elite company, as he joins LeRoy Butler, Rodney Harrison and Ronde Barber as the only players in NFL history to record at least 32 interceptions and 18 sacks. He has also recored 32 forced fumbles.
"We're going to get on this right away. The thing about it is you try to gel as quickly as possible. Once you gel, you just do your role. If that's the mentality and everybody is taking care of their gap, we're going to be a pretty good defense, creating turnovers along the way."
In 2008, he started all 16 games for the Eagles as they advanced to the NFC Championship game. He recorded 75 tackles, three sacks, six forced fumbles and an interception last season, earning him a trip to the Pro Bowl.
Now Dawkins brings his experience, leadership and play-making ability to the Broncos.
"I only know how to be one thing -- I genuinely care for the guys that I play with," Dawkins said. "That's the kind of relationship I build with guys. The thing that I've always believed in a defense is you have 100 percent trust the guy next to you. But not just trust them, you have to respect them. We're going to have respect for one another."

Broncos fans are also going crazy about the Cutler situation. McDaniels is not a popular man at the moment....

Just read about this whole saga on nfl.com. I can't believe the Broncos are even giving two seconds thought about involving Cutler in a trade. But as you say, they are giving indications that they're not fully behind him for some reason. Anyhow, it's clear that they've mis-managed the situation and have a disgruntled QB for the time being....

Yeah, one team you could put it away as just an enquiry... but two would suggest the Broncos trying to get Cassell, sending Cutler to Detroit/Tampa, and picks going to the Pats.

Broncos are saying they were approached, but I think they would of had to have been the instigators in the situation... TBH, I'd take Cutler before I'd take Cassell, but I guess McDaniel wants his own people, as did Pioli.

Broncos fans are also going crazy about the Cutler situation. McDaniels is not a popular man at the moment....

I'm not entirely convinved that the rumours are accurate (I don't consider John Clayton to be a reliable source.) but I'll be pissed off if its true, this sort of thing could wreck the entire fabric of a team.

I am a big fan of Cutler, but I'd be the first to admit that he is still pretty immature and has a bit of growing up to do and I'm not sure how he would handle this kind of situation on top of not being happy with Shannahan's dismissal and losing Jeremy Bates but I suspect it wouldn't be pleasant.

So hopefully it is all BS because I would put Cutler light years ahead of Cassel, Sanchez and Stafford.

Ok, the Cutler rumours seem to be getting some legs now, quite possibly the worst news I could have hoped for.
This has to be fixed now, or the franchise will be completely ****ed for the next 5+ years. Even if McDaniels just tells Jay the rumours are complete BS, even if its a blatant lie, just fix it please.

Its too early to judge how McDaniels goes about his business, but I'm starting to think that in New England they run football teams like soulless corporations or like they're playing Madden because this is the kind of thing that Mangini would do.

Dallas has traded our CB Henry to the Lions for their back up QB Kitna. Henry hasn't been great and Kitna can't be worse then Johnson. Nothing fantastic but solid. Has a previous relationship with Williams so that's a bonus if he ever needs to come in for Romo.

We also picked up Brooking from Atlanta to help fill out our LB needs.

Massive ****-up by the Broncos... they've said they're not going to trade him, so it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

IMO, Cutler will be a Superbowl calibre QB, and if they've destroyed the relationship for someone who really hasn't proven anything (and again, IMO, not likely to be anything other than a good QB), I'd be absolutely ropable too if I was a Broncos fan right now.

The Broncos have one of the most young and exciting QB-WR combo in the league right now in Cutler and Marshall.

Way to stuff things up.

You don't trade Franchise calibre QB's, they don't grow on trees. Especially ones in their third year of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back