NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Franchise Players/Free Agency/High Profile Releases

Interesting analysis of the haynesworth deal from Peter King MMQB (Sports Illustrated)

Haynesworth, barring a miracle, will never see the fifth year of the contract. In essence, he signed a four-year, $48-million contract Friday with the Redskins. That will carry him through his 11th season, in 2012 (barring a work stoppage in 2011, which is a real possibility). Here is the real contract:

2009 - $5 million signing bonus, $6 million salary
2010 - $21 million option bonus, $3.6 million salary
*2011 - $5.4 million slaary
2012 - $7.2 million salary
Totals: four years, $48.2 million.

The asterisk is for an additional $1 million he could earn in an offseason workout bonus before camp.
The seven-year deal calls for Haynesworth to earn $29 million in 2013, $10.8 million in 2014 and $12 million in 2015.

The other thing to note is the amount of money allocated to 2010. I bet Snyder is betting there won't be a salary cap next year...

I'm sorry, but that's utter crap, you're not confusing him with Plummer are you?
Apart from a few rednecks from country Colorado, Cutler has been seen as the only reason we were competitive at all last season.

I don't think its utter crap at all. Whilst the vast majority of Broncos fans recognise that he is their future, and I see more people in Cutler jerseys around than any other player, I still meet plenty of Broncos fans who are unfairly harsh on him. They say he is inconsistent, too relaxed and point to the discrepancy between yards gained by the Broncos and how often they score. There might be some truth to some of those points, but not enough for a few people at work today telling me they wished the Broncos had made that trade. I can't see it at all. I'm not saying its a widely held view or anything, just that it isnt rare at all

I don't think its utter crap at all. Whilst the vast majority of Broncos fans recognise that he is their future, and I see more people in Cutler jerseys around than any other player, I still meet plenty of Broncos fans who are unfairly harsh on him. They say he is inconsistent, too relaxed and point to the discrepancy between yards gained by the Broncos and how often they score. There might be some truth to some of those points, but not enough for a few people at work today telling me they wished the Broncos had made that trade. I can't see it at all. I'm not saying its a widely held view or anything, just that it isnt rare at all

Like I said though, from my experiences in rural Colorado I have met many people whose opinions I would not hold too highly. (Not having a go at you in any way BTW.:))

Everyone in our division is making moves and we're doing **** all, really pissing me off. We never do anything in Free Agency.

Our first work of the week has been signing Punter Ben Graham............. great. :(

Everyone in our division is making moves and we're doing **** all, really pissing me off. We never do anything in Free Agency.

Our first work of the week has been signing Punter Ben Graham............. great. :(
If he plays like he did in the superbowl, he is setting you up every wk for an extra 2 points.

Yeah well, it could be worse.

Giants, Redskins and probably Cowboys soon have announced big upgrades to key positions.

We on the other hand have downgraded in more than one position, and refused to even talk to even look at the biggest options in the positions of most need for us.

:mad:

Crabtree here we come! I'll cry if we don't get him.

He might drop down to the Raiders, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken by the Chiefs at #3. Cassel, Crabtree, Bowe and Gonzalez would make an impressive QB/WR/TE combo!

No he isnt Wizard but after the leadership that we have lost in the locker room in the past week, he would be a great addition. Also having Taylor and Adams at the ends is pretty handy.

We also signed LB Niko Koutouvides who is a beast on ST.

Bills LB Antonio Crowell is another on our radar.

By the way did I say.......GET ME JAY CUTLER!!! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derrick Ward just signed with the Bucs!!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/rb-ward-signs-with-buccaneers/

Also reports are the Bucs could be after Jason Taylor

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/bucs-could-pursue-de-taylor/

Great offseason so far from the new regime....Lovin being a Bucs fan over Summer for once!!

NOW GET ME JAY CUTLER!!!!
I wanna wish the best of luck to Ward... Will need it changing lines and most likely being the closer to no. 1 man for the Bucs atm with Graham and Cadillac still coming off injuries.

They like their RB's @ Tampa dont they.

FWIW bad move for Ward i reckon, not exactly going to a situation that is much better then he is in at the moment.
Would have been much better served at somewhere like Arizona, Cincinatti or Cleveland.

I'd have thought Bucs fans would be disappointed with the offseason so far given their needs and cap space.

Well Im not JD! No matter how much cap room you have you simply can't sign everyone.

Missing out on Haynesworth was a blow but in the end we didn't overpay for a player that there are some minor question marks over. There should be a few good DT available at pick 19 anyway.

Our only other glaring need was WR/TE and we have addressed it so far with Bryant and Clayton resigning as well as adding a Top 5 TE in Winslow.

Aso for QB, I have said previously I think we should throw the kitchen sink at Jay Cutler and I stand by it. Give them what ever they want, franchise QB's don't grow on trees!! We are building quite a good offense and this could be enticing as is the fact that we have so much cap room and there is no income tax in Florida.

If we gave up two first rounders and a player (maybe McCown), Denver would at least have a back up option if they choose not to trade up for Stafford.

Damn no income Tax in Florida? how sweet is that
There still is federal income tax of up to 35%.

I think he means there is no additional state income tax.

There are a number of states that do not have these taxes, such as Texas and Alaska. California has the highest.

The talk on a rams forum is that the Raiders are interested in Orlando Pace.
Let's say that the Raiders trade for him with a third round pick, I would probably echo GG's belief the Al is a genius.

A healthy Pace at the Raiders :O

I aint buying into any rumors ever again. Im tired of riding the edge of my seat at every little bit of rumor that happens between February and May. Where you cant sleep, read up on 50 million forums chasing info, etc, and emotionally get attached to each rumor till it happens or doesnt happen.

The last two seasons I've decided to lalala basically and just wait for the NFL draft itself and actual confirmed trades/signings....i mean, emotional investment.

I aint buying into any rumors ever again. Im tired of riding the edge of my seat at every little bit of rumor that happens between February and May. Where you cant sleep, read up on 50 million forums chasing info, etc, and emotionally get attached to each rumor till it happens or doesnt happen.

The last two seasons I've decided to lalala basically and just wait for the NFL draft itself and actual confirmed trades/signings....i mean, emotional investment.
I guess thats what happens when you know your team can't compete in the reg season... Focus in on the offseason :p

...and the Falcons continue to stand pat and not make any rash moves in FA, causing an almighty shitstorm by stupid fans on the team's official message boards.

Man I don't get why some people think that you've gotta throw insane amounts of cash at the biggest names out there and it's instantly gonna propel the team to Superbowl status. We even had a few people clamouring to sign TJ Whoseyamama despite the fact that we have White (coming off a Pro Bowl), Jenkins (the definition of the word SOLID) and an emerging Harry Douglas already on the roster. It's insanity and shows the lack of IQ that some fans have I suppose, fans who are supposed to know more about the game than some bloke on the other side of the world mind you.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back