NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Franchise Players/Free Agency/High Profile Releases

Are they f***ing insane?

I know, I know . . . but even for the Skins that's just bloody stupid (cap or no cap)

Exactly my sentiments when I heard about the Hall signing.

Given that they are apparently targeting Haynesworth it just seems ludicrous to hand out a deal like that to someone like Hall. In fairness to him though I think getting cut from the Raiders was the kick up the arse he absolutely had to have because it seems to have humbled him a bit.

Still don't know about giving him such a long term deal though.

* a few minor updates*

-Correll Buckhalter and JJ Arrington have agreed to multiyear deals with the Broncos

-Ex-Steeler WR Nate Washington will visit with the Lions on Friday (US time)

-Titans WR Brandon Jones to visit with 49ers.

-Rams DB Ronald Bartell expected to reach deal with Saints, Broncos also interested.

Haynesworth gets 7-year, $100m deal from Redskins

NFL.com reporting that Haynesworth is going to the Redskins at that massive price of $100m for 7 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef8064&template=without-video&confirm=true

Does this move mean that Washington could be a legitimate contender this upcoming season? Major big name player in the league to go through free agency with the window just open, lots more movement to follow. Will Washington have to cut any players to make cap room? Here's hoping Jason Taylor may be released, and the Pats sign him

Shame to lose Bartell, he has the capacity to be a great player, but there is plenty of talent availible in the DB area on the FA.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=32&year=2008

Guessing Springs, Taylor and Griffen will be moved on, maybe Fletcher, Washington and a O-Line player as well. Redskins look like they will be shooting themselves in the foot next season. They had a brilliant team already, just needed a few MINOR cap changes, now they will be chopping arms off and applying oversized bandages.

NFC East will take NFC West's/ AFC West's title of the worse division

NFC East will take NFC West's/ AFC West's title of the worse division

Not likely. Still the Giants, Phiggles and 'Boys to keep things going. Just enjoy Washington shooting themselves in the foot.

Giants? They have peaked, all they have is a overated QB, players that shoot themselves and just get injured all the time.
Cowboys? They'll start 'choking' every match
Eagles? Goodbye Dawkins, goodbye McNabb, Hello an extra shirt size for Reid. They just throw away all their talent eventually.

Giants? They have peaked, all they have is a overated QB, players that shoot themselves and just get injured all the time.
Cowboys? They'll start 'choking' every match
Eagles? Goodbye Dawkins, goodbye McNabb, Hello an extra shirt size for Reid. They just throw away all their talent eventually.
lol having fun trolling? :p

Just telling you guys the fact

NFC East will be the basketcase of the NFL next season.
Please, someone show me one good move either of these teams did during this off-season?

Just telling you guys the fact

NFC East will be the basketcase of the NFL next season.
Please, someone show me one good move either of these teams did during this off-season?
Re-signed Jacobs?

Anywho, its fairly obvious you are trolling to get a rise out of the susceptible types... But if it makes you feel better, the more power to you ;)

As much as you can call out 'What good have they done this offseason' I can just as easily say 'what has happened to make you think they will all fall that far?'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-signed Jacobs?

Anywho, its fairly obvious you are trolling to get a rise out of the susceptible types... But if it makes you feel better, the more power to you ;)

As much as you can call out 'What good have they done this offseason' I can just as easily say 'what has happened to make you think they will all fall that far?'

Well let's see, lose defensive co-ordinator
Trouble at WR
Losing Ward (Makes Jacob much better)
Kind of a mess at LB
Eli Manning is sort of inconsistent
A few Giants will be poached this season and I have some doubt they will be able to effectively replace the talent they lose

Trouble at WR
Kind of a mess at LB
A few Giants will be poached this season and I have some doubt they will be able to effectively replace the talent they lose
Jacobs makes Ward 50x's better... He is only a break man for Jacobs...

LB is always a mess, hasn't really held us back recently

Manning was actually quite consistent last year... Least turnovers in the league other than the Fins

No other Giants in FA that actually have a high impact on the team. Only one is Ward, a product of the Oline and Jacobs, and who will fail if he is given the number one helm anywhere.

The only question will be Spags, who I love, but in the end of the year was quite vanilla, often choosing to only rush four, when their injuries and tiredness made them lose much of their effectiveness. He mismanaged our D late in the year, as shown by the drop in sacks and pressure overall in the latter half of the year.

WR can be amply covered in FA and drafting this year, and Plax may not even be gone. Toomer ain't gonna decide to cut and run. Our next best unrestricted FA is backup Guard, Ruegamer, along with Butler (lol) and McQuarters.

I think the Giants D is going to be better this year, especially when they get a pretty good D-end back in Osi. If I'm correct, that allows Tuck or Kiwinuka to move out of end and into the linebacking corp? Defence wins championships, and they proved that two seasons ago when they dominated the Pats O-line and Tom Brady with it. The Giants beat the Pats that day because their depth was awesome; every play they brought pressure even with the four man rush, tells you they got some bloody good talent on that D-line.

hasnt been mentioned here, but the Jets released RG Brandon Moore yesterday. front office dont want to pay him the $7m roster bonus which will be owed to him. i for one aint a happy Jet fan here. he was the Jets best run-blocker last season, i reckon he is worth the cash after coming off his best season.......and he was even willing to restructure his contract. instead, the Jets wanted him to take a paycut. not exactly sure but i think a team can amortise this bonus over the remainder of the contract, rather than take the hit in one year so the effect on the cap would have been reduced. so, the Jets spend big on Faneca and Woody to improve the O-line, but now have a glaring hole on the right side of it. that will now be proven to be a waste of money. the line has to be solid to get this benefit. i can see another error as in the Pete Kendall release a few seasons back.

I think the Giants D is going to be better this year, especially when they get a pretty good D-end back in Osi. If I'm correct, that allows Tuck or Kiwinuka to move out of end and into the linebacking corp? Defence wins championships, and they proved that two seasons ago when they dominated the Pats O-line and Tom Brady with it. The Giants beat the Pats that day because their depth was awesome; every play they brought pressure even with the four man rush, tells you they got some bloody good talent on that D-line.
And that obviously fell away late last year when both starting DT in Robbins and Cofield had injuries that, whilst didn't keep them off the field, but they didn limit their effectiveness. Tuck had soft tissue injuries as well as the flue in the last month of playing.

No excuses, Philly outplayed us, but it played a major role in diminishing what made our D great. I'll be the first to admit that our middle ain't too strong atm, especially at LB and Pierce getting older, but they are adequate if the front is firing.

Though as you say, I expect to see more
Tuck - Cofield - Robbins - Umenyiora
Kiwanuka - Pierce - Blackburn

Kiwi rotated, along with Alford. Hopefully we are a little more experimental next year.

Trouble at WR
Kind of a mess at LB
Look, the only reason why it is stupid as hell is because you are pretty much suggesting that we as a division will drop around 16 or more games this year.... Just a stupid suggestion...

That defense just shows you can rush the tackles and apply some pressure.
Will be interesting to see how the D-Line players change next season without Spags.

Just admit, you want me to give the Giants hell so you have something to do Saturday Morning :p

hasnt been mentioned here, but the Jets released RG Brandon Moore yesterday. front office dont want to pay him the $7m roster bonus which will be owed to him. i for one aint a happy Jet fan here. he was the Jets best run-blocker last season, i reckon he is worth the cash after coming off his best season.......and he was even willing to restructure his contract. instead, the Jets wanted him to take a paycut. not exactly sure but i think a team can amortise this bonus over the remainder of the contract, rather than take the hit in one year so the effect on the cap would have been reduced. so, the Jets spend big on Faneca and Woody to improve the O-line, but now have a glaring hole on the right side of it. that will now be proven to be a waste of money. the line has to be solid to get this benefit. i can see another error as in the Pete Kendall release a few seasons back.

I'm with you man. Not happy about the move at all, but I'll give them a free pass for now... Not happy though.

Re: Haynesworth gets 7-year, $100m deal from Redskins

Crazy. Does Dan Snyder not learn? I'd say Haynesworth is a good chance to join a long list of Redskins players who sign huge deals and then turn mediocre.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back