Draft Review 2009 - Revisiting the 2009 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Selective posting much ??

How about his captaincy ?
How about winning a brownlow ?

North could only dream of having a champion captain like Trent Cotchin , He will be inducted into the afl hall of fame in the future
and will be known as a Richmond great alongside players like Hart,Sheedy,Bartlett,Roach etc etc etc

You dont get there by being a spud mate , Why even try to get into a debate about a player as you mentioned have only seen play 1 time this year
Just give it up as you are clearly trolling now
Hall of fame? Aren't you selling him short? I think he goes directly in with the Legends!!

Bumping this.

Some of these names are now in their 11th season which is crazy.

Fyfe and Martin the clear top 2.

Are the likes of Sheppard, Jetta and Stratton anywhere from 3-15?

Where's Ben Cunnington ranked and what do you all think of Carlisle and Reid?

Likewise Duncan, Pittard, Melksham, Astbury and Christensen?

Bumping this.

Some of these names are now in their 11th season which is crazy.

Fyfe and Martin the clear top 2.

Are the likes of Sheppard, Jetta and Stratton anywhere from 3-15?

Where's Ben Cunnington ranked and what do you all think of Carlisle and Reid?

Likewise Duncan, Pittard, Melksham, Astbury and Christensen?
Gawn 3 then Talia and Gunston

Thats disrespectful to talia to have jetta in front of him, 2x all aus and made countless other all aus 40 man squads.
No it's not. Jetta is a dual premiership player who kicked 45 goals from the wing in one flag year (leading goal kicker for the premiership team, from the wing), and has transformed into one of the best attacking half-backs in the comp, probably the best user coming out of defence in the game.

It's my list. Do yours.

1. Dusty
2. Fyfe
3. Gawn
4. Cunnington
5. Gunston
6. Grimes
7. Jetta
8. Talia
9. Duncan
10. Reid
11. Astbury
12. Sheppard
13. Vardy
14. Stratton
15. Carlisle

I'd have Astbury and Sheppard in front of Reid.

Not a bad list but what’s your justification on Vardy being so high? I think he struggles to scrape on top 30
Yeah, maybe. I tossed it out pretty quickly, I rated him highly before he got injured at Geelong, and thought he was great in West Coast's flag.

You'd struggle to get to 30 I reckon.

I'd have Astbury and Sheppard in front of Reid.
Go for it.

No it's not. Jetta is a dual premiership player who kicked 45 goals from the wing in one flag year (leading goal kicker for the premiership team, from the wing), and has transformed into one of the best attacking half-backs in the comp, probably the best user coming out of defence in the game.

It's my list. Do yours.
Jetta had one fantastic year and that is it.

Not even in the top 5-6 from this draft tbh

Yeah, maybe. I tossed it out pretty quickly, I rated him highly before he got injured at Geelong, and thought he was great in West Coast's flag.

You'd struggle to get to 30 I reckon.

He’s only played 68 games and other than a decent cameo in the grand final has done nothing. Do agree he had talent but injuries have hampered him massively

Just working my way down the draft

Scully
Martin
Cunnington
Rohan
Shepard
Melksham
Talia
Jetta
Pittard
Menzel
Fyfe
Bastinac
Carlisle
Colyer
Duncan
Gunston
Gawn
Astbury
Stratton
Roberton
Duryea
Thomas
Barlow
Hutchings
Howlett
Wright
Casboult
Crameri
Tuohy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Nat Fyfe
2. Dustin Martin
3. Max Gawn
4. Daniel Talia
5. Ben Cunnington
6. Jack Gunston
7. Dylan Grimes
8. Mitch Duncan
9. Brad Sheppard
10. Ben Stratton
11. Tom Scully
12. Jake Carlisle
13. Michael Barlow (on peak level would be around the Gunston range but didn't play long enough)
14. David Astbury
15. Lewis Jetta
16. Jake Melksham
17. Sam Reid
18. Dylan Roberton
19. Allen Christensen
20. Jasper Pittard

A few stars but for the most part this draft seemed to produce a lot of "role players". Like plenty of decent players came out of it but it seems to lack the B+/A- kind of players most drafts produce.

Wasn't he first listed for 2009?
Actually, according to Draftguru.

Zach Tuohy
Height: 187cm Weight: 91kg
Originally from: County Laois
Born: 10 Dec 1989 (32 years old)
First drafted: 2010 (20 years old)

2010 Rookie draft held on 15th of December 2009. Same day Grimes and Barlow were officially listed.

Can see an argument that Irishman shouldn’t count as they aren’t part of the open draft though. Still if he was going to be included it would be this draft.

2010 Rookie draft held on 15th of December 2009. Same day Grimes and Barlow were officially listed.

Can see an argument that Irishman shouldn’t count as they aren’t part of the open draft though. Still if he was going to be included it would be this draft.
Yeah it’s this draft for Tuohy.

Bizarre the 2009 rookie draft - held in 2009 - is called the 2010 rookie draft.

Agree - the battle is with 01 - with GAJ, Judd and Hodge.

07 needed 1 more gun to join Danger and Rance.

Maybe I’m underrating Gawn but sits a level below all the other guys mentioned for mine.

If Cripps gets back to his best, big if I know, then 2013 isn’t far off 2009. Bont, Cripps plus Kelly/Merrett.

I’m still high on Heeney with 2014 so Petracca, Steele and Heeney is a promising trio as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2009 - Revisiting the 2009 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back