2010 AFL Grand Final St Kilda vs Collingwood 25/9/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Swan is generally considered untaggable. But it did occur to me that CJ has never tried it.

No point. Didak has more of an x-factor than Swan, and i'd prefer him out of the game.

doesnt matter if you get 50 possessions if 40 of them are uncontested and in the defensive half, 25 Didak touches for 5 goals and a handful of assists are a lot more damaging

Don't worry about Didak, his ability to choke and play poorly in huge games will take care of itself. Send dempster to follow him around when he is in the forward line but send CJ to Pendlebury. He uses the ball so well in space and get get forward too, get CJ to close him down put him under pressure. Thats our best option IMO. Let Swan and maybe Hayes run head to head.

Don't worry about Didak, his ability to choke and play poorly in huge games will take care of itself. Send dempster to follow him around when he is in the forward line but send CJ to Pendlebury. He uses the ball so well in space and get get forward too, get CJ to close him down put him under pressure. Thats our best option IMO. Let Swan and maybe Hayes run head to head.

I agree with this. CJ is too good to play on Didak.

An amusing little aside, AFL's Twitter is running a comp picking the best tweets featuring the tag #AFLGF. Four out of five today were from Collingwood fans, but the Saints one is far and away the best:

Planning a commando raid on the neighbours to stick a Nick Riewoldt poster over the Collingwood flag in the window. #AFLGF #gosaints

Collingwood seem to have all the momentum and form so they should rightfully go in as favourites. However you guys have the experience of last year which should help. The key to a St.Kilda win is taking chances when they present themselves. The Pies are going to get a fair share of the footy so kicking for goal is critical. The forwards cannot afford to miss easy shots.

I suspect it's going to be close given the disciplined lock down style of footy that you play. My mind says the Pies will win by a couple of goals but anything is possible and the Saints are due after being strong contenders for the past 7-8 years.

Forecast for Saturday

Becoming cloudy. Winds west to northwesterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h.
City Centre Becoming cloudy. Min 10 Max 20

Is good, is good.
Kosi and Riewoldt get on top, Saints win. The weather is catering for that. (touchwood)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You still can't let him have the space the cats did.

One stage his player walked off him in the (filth) forward 50!

Didak needs to be closely monitored. More than the cats did.

He may choke but he has the potential. I think ross will respect him more than his insanely stupid cat opponent did friday night.

You still can't let him have the space the cats did.

One stage his player walked off him in the (filth) forward 50!

Didak needs to be closely monitored. More than the cats did.

He may choke but he has the potential. I think ross will respect him more than his insanely stupid cat opponent did friday night.

Yeah someone needs to be accountable for Didak, probably Dempster or Baker if he plays. He has the biggest potential to be a matchwinner if given space.

Probably give Jones the job on Pendlebury who is dangerous with his disposal, similar to Dal Santo. Not sure we can tag Swan so just put him head to head with Lenny and back Lenny to do more damage.

Should probably also think about shut down roles on Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw, maybe not all three but at least one or two of them. The Crows did that really well when they almost beat them.

Yeah someone needs to be accountable for Didak, probably Dempster or Baker if he plays. He has the biggest potential to be a matchwinner if given space.

Probably give Jones the job on Pendlebury who is dangerous with his disposal, similar to Dal Santo. Not sure we can tag Swan so just put him head to head with Lenny and back Lenny to do more damage.

Should probably also think about shut down roles on Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw, maybe not all three but at least one or two of them. The Crows did that really well when they almost beat them.

In regards of those three, I think we need to make em accountable.

Half the reason they have the drive from HOB and Maxwell is that they play loose and unnacountable.

Let Roo and Kosi go up for the marks with the small forwards and others waiting around to grab and smash those two. The cats just gave them also too much space.

In regards of Didak Dempster would at least wear him. Being at the game and becoming increasingly bored we did a Didak watch for the last half and saw him being loose time and time again.... not running off either. he was wandering around just loose. it was symptomatic of the cats on friday but thats inviting disaster

He didn't take full advantage of it friday night either. Neither did the team as they ignored him selfishly a few times.

I couldnt see that happening two games in a row. Dempster would at least watch him and play within 8 feet of him. The cats players just did not which was :confused: to say the least

A couple of early thoughts on the game. Harry O and Maxwell's influence on the game must be limited. I went to the Cats vs. Pies match and thought those two players were dominant in the first half, killed the Cats forward line. This means our delivery into F50 must be fast and accurate, so it doesn't give a chance for them to get more numbers to the contest in the air and when it hits the ground. Also, whoever is playing on O'Brien and Maxwell must make them accountable, Maxwell will no doubt try and zone off which means we need to try and get the footy into his opponent's hands - this will probably be one of our small men.

Maxwell is the one i think we have to worry about. He makes it his mission to leave his man and cut in front of Riewoldt or be 3rd man up in a marking contest with Roo in it. Whoever he plays on needs to make sure he keeps him on the other side of the ground from Roo. Bit like what Tom Harley was doing in last years GF.

One big thing to remember is that Didak is clearly injured, his shoulder isn't right at all.
I don't know who will start on him, depends on where he lines up (there is a chance it will be on the bench as MM does this to shake tags before teh game even gets underway), but, when he gets near it or tackled, he must be taken to ground to be tested out.
Similar story for Luke Ball, sore hamstring, he shouldn't be crunched in tackles, he should be pushed off balance forcing him to stretch. we know from his time at StKilda he will get in space and look to handball, so he should be given some spaced and corralled forcing him to kick! having said all this, I doubt Ball will play.

McQualter on Shaw
Dempster on Maxwell
O'Brien usually goes to Milne
Dawson - Dawes
Blake - Cloke
Gilbert - Brown

bring it on

anyone else think both coaches will play funny buggers with selection and we may see a fine on match day by one of the clubs to bring in someone off the list?????

there is more smoke and mirrors to come.

Would be a great plan , who have we got, Ablett? , Hodge?, Judd? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 AFL Grand Final St Kilda vs Collingwood 25/9/2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back