2010 Midfield(s) - Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

HibSam

Cancelled
May 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's always a lot of talk about which team has the best midfield and usually Geelong comes out on top, but after trade week and the natural improvement of players the Cats aint' so far ahead of the rest. Here are IMO the 6 best midfields (6 midfielders + 1 tagger).

Cats - Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Corey, Wojcinski + Ling

Pies - Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Davis, Thomas, O'Bree + ???

Saints - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, Gram, Lovett + Jones

Hawks - Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Bourgoyne, Bateman + ???

Blues - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, McLean, Simpson, Walker + Joseph

Dogs - Cooney, Boyd, Cross, Higgins, Griffen, Ward + Picken

Unlucky to miss were the Crows, Lions and at a stretch Bombers.
NOTE: These players are who I think are in their teams best 6 midfielders. If you disagree, feel free to correct me.

So for the 2010 season this is how I rate those midfields:

1. Geelong
2. St Kilda
3. Hawthorn
4. Collingwood*
4. Carlton*
6. Western Bulldogs
* Can't split Pies & Blues.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. What's yours?

There's always a lot of talk about which team has the best midfield and usually Geelong comes out on top, but after trade week and the natural improvement of players the Cats aint' so far ahead of the rest. Here are IMO the 6 best midfields (6 midfielders + 1 tagger).

Cats - Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, Corey, Wojcinski + Ling

Pies - Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Davis, Thomas, O'Bree + ???

Saints - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, Gram, Lovett + Jones

Hawks - Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Bourgoyne, Bateman + ???

Blues - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, McLean, Simpson, Walker + Joseph

Dogs - Cooney, Boyd, Cross, Higgins, Griffen, Ward + Picken

Unlucky to miss were the Crows, Lions and at a stretch Bombers.
NOTE: These players are who I think are in their teams best 6 midfielders. If you disagree, feel free to correct me.

So for the 2010 season this is how I rate those midfields:

1. Geelong
2. St Kilda
3. Hawthorn
4. Collingwood*
4. Carlton*
6. Western Bulldogs
* Can't split Pies & Blues.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. What's yours?

HibSam

Do you ever watch any of the non Victorian clubs :confused:

I think you should throw Adelaide's midfield in that mic

Adel - Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, MacKay, Van Berlo, Knights, Porplyzia, Otten (next year), Goodwin, McLeod, Doughty and Edwards

I would not have the Pies so High

O'Bree is on the decline, and how often does Thomas and Davis play in the middle :confused:

why are you just rating the VIC teams.. not sayin sydneys is up their but why is their a top 6.. 6 is a bit of a random number

its hard to make a case for the Pies midfield to be ranked as high as #2

the Pies midfield were belted in both their losing final matches and broke even with the crows after the initial on slaught by the crows

• Banned
HibSam

Do you ever watch any of the non Victorian clubs :confused:

I think you should throw Adelaide's midfield in that mic

Adel - Thompson, Vince, Dangerfield, MacKay, Van Berlo, Knights, Porplyzia, Otten (next year), Goodwin, McLeod, Doughty and Edwards

I did say unlucky to miss were the Crows. But what team would the Crows 6 best midfielders push out? They are IMO the #7 team, with Lions being #8. Obviously you feel differently which is fine...what's your rating?

• Banned
why are you just rating the VIC teams.. not sayin sydneys is up their but why is their a top 6.. 6 is a bit of a random number

What number do you want me to stop at?:eek: It's rating the best midfields, so there's no point going too far. So what non-victorian teams should make the top 6...I'm not being baised if that's what you're suggesting.

What number do you want me to stop at?:eek: It's rating the best midfields, so there's no point going too far. So what non-victorian teams should make the top 6...I'm not being baised if that's what you're suggesting.

Im not really suggesting anythin it's your call what to do in your thread I just think it's a bit random to have a top 6 when really their aren't that many stand out midfields... especially not collingwood.

Everyone says we don't have KPPs. So if we don't have keys how can our midfield be the sixth best in the competition when we have finished third two years in a row. Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from an non biased supporter, I'd love to have either the Cats or Hawks midfield. St Kilda and Carlton have to be the close and the Doggies and Pies just below them.
1-2. Cats Hawks
3-4 St K Blues
4-5 Dogs Pies

Of the rest of the comp hard to split Brisbane and Adelaide

You're kidding yourself if you think Collingwood have a better midfeild than any of those teams below them. Swan and Pendles are A grade but aside from that they haven't got much. I'd have Collingwood out of the list and chuck Adelaide in.

Also, you shouldn't have included players that are yet to play a game for their club. How do you know Lovett won't play as a HFF, for example?

It's clearly the hawks and the cats.

And if you want some accuracy on the best midfields then try taking it out to 10 players.

Ablett
Bartel
Selwood
Corey
Ling
Chapman
Kelly
Enright
Johnson
Hogan

and then we fall away ;)

If you take it out to ten players we'd have to be right up there.

Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Akermanis, Giansiracusa, Picken, Harbrow

Relatively young group besides Aker and Gia.

I'm happy with my young midfield of:

Inside/Outside: Scully, Trengove, Sylvia, Grimes.
Inside: Moloney, Jones, Ball(?).
Outside: Davey, Morton, Blease.

The next 'Fab Four/Five' midfield that will dominate in the future will come from that group.

It's clearly the hawks and the cats.

And if you want some accuracy on the best midfields then try taking it out to 10 players.

Ablett
Bartel
Selwood
Corey
Ling
Chapman
Kelly
Enright
Johnson
Hogan

and then we fall away ;)

Yeah, I agree...though I am biased :)

Mitchell
Hodge
Sewell
Burgoyne
Lewis
Rioli
Bateman
Young

Man having Burgoyne and Bateman streaming past the insiders is going to be awesome not to mention Youngy!

Drop Collingwood there mids dont perform enough Davis, Didak and Thomas are HFF more than pure mids.

Wouldnt be a bad idea to put a starting ruckman into each midfield as well is a big part of it.
Otten
Jolly
Gardiner
Taylor/Renouf (both as bad as each other)
Warnock/Kreuzer/Hampson
Hudson

That really strenthens Collingwoods midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Midfield(s) - Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back