2011 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as many WA kids breaking through into the league ranks this year compared to last year. Not sure if thats a sign of how good this years lot are or not.

WA have been selecting various kids into their talent Academy which will form the basis of their squad for the U18's.

So far the following kids are in there:

* Tom Mitchell - going to Swans under the F/S. Hasn't played since getting injured last year I think. Dominated early last year in the colts though.
* Stephen Coniglio - no intro needed.
* Jaeger O'Meara - 17 yo - blistering speed, good tank, elite skills. Very highly rated, I see he had 25 poss and 11 tackles in one of the few games he's played in the WAFL colts this year.
* Chris Yarran - 17 yo - Larke medal at last years 16's titles.
* Shane Kersten - 190cm forward. Been playing ressies for Souths.
* Shannon Taylor (Claremont) - AIS.
* Cam Eardly (Easts) - 179cm
* Jordan Lockyer (son of Barge I believe) - 188cm defender. Has been getting good numbers in the colts.
* Shane Nelson - 178 cm midfielder, ball magnet averaging over 30 poss.
* Chris Deluca (Subi) - 178cm forward/hff.
* Adam Carter (Souths) - 17 yo.
* Sean Lynch (Souths) - 17 yo.
* Steven Verrier (Souths)
* Nathan Broad (Swans)
* Corey Gault (Swans)
* Rhys Waters (Subi)
* Fraser McInnes (Perth) - 196cm ruckman. Probably the best bigman from WA by the sounds of it. Gets quite a bit of the pill, takes marks, can go into the ruck, good competitor. Was one of WA's best at the 16's last year. Could be a high draft pick.
* Dayle Gartlett (Swans) - averaging around 24 poss, 5 tackles and a goal a game in Colts. Cousin of Jeff Gartlett.
* Alex Howard (Swans) - 188cm

Another highly rated kid not included above is Jack Martin (only 16 still). Indigenous kid from Geraldton, described as a pencil thin, Pavlich type. All-Aust schoolboys last year. Watch out for him in years to come.

Others not in the team but may get in are:

Myles Bolger (199cm ruckman) is another who was a really highly rated player. Has had his injury problems though but is playing again and starting to find some form.

Max Duffy (182cm forward/HFF) is an AIS boy, not in the squad yet. May be injured?

Brandon Erceg (192cm defender) - did well in the 16's.

Some familiar names in the WAFL colts - McIntosh, Jakovich, Hill (Stephen's bro), Morabito (Anthony's bro), DeBoer (Matt's bro), Stack, Jordan Dorotich (John's son), Van Berlo, Jetta (17yo), Matera (another one).

A few kids who were maybe unlucky to miss being drafted last year have been doing well in the WAFL (seniors). Kieren Butcher for Peel (reportedly a bit of a slowish Jobe Watson type), Adam Faulkner for Swans.

Doesn't look like its as strong as previous years out west.

Good to know Mitchell is in there, I was worried with his injury problems he might not have been selected. Very eager to see him play.

exactly and I expect he will be taken. Was pretty impressive in GWS first NAB Cup game. Good courage.

Savage was rookie draft though so wouldn't he only be on a 1 year deal?

No trade needed.

It's good to hear an opinion, but we'll just wait and see.

Even Carlton supporters would be amused by a Silvagni and a Dorotich playing for another club. :cool:

Laidler board.

We've got a stack of tall and medium flankers.

Tuohy played on a wing and Austin forward last weekend because we had Watson, McCarthy, McInnes, Davies and others playing down back.

I can see one leaving for more chances like Grigg if he develops.

Unlike S20 have seen Zac Tuohy play twice in the last year.

Think he will play senior footy in 2011.

Not as many WA kids breaking through into the league ranks this year compared to last year. Not sure if thats a sign of how good this years lot are or not.

WA have been selecting various kids into their talent Academy which will form the basis of their squad for the U18's.

So far the following kids are in there:

* Tom Mitchell - going to Swans under the F/S. Hasn't played since getting injured last year I think. Dominated early last year in the colts though.
* Stephen Coniglio - no intro needed.
* Jaeger O'Meara - 17 yo - blistering speed, good tank, elite skills. Very highly rated, I see he had 25 poss and 11 tackles in one of the few games he's played in the WAFL colts this year.
* Chris Yarran - 17 yo - Larke medal at last years 16's titles.
* Shane Kersten - 190cm forward. Been playing ressies for Souths.
* Shannon Taylor (Claremont) - AIS.
* Cam Eardly (Easts) - 179cm
* Jordan Lockyer (son of Barge I believe) - 188cm defender. Has been getting good numbers in the colts.
* Shane Nelson - 178 cm midfielder, ball magnet averaging over 30 poss.
* Chris Deluca (Subi) - 178cm forward/hff.
* Adam Carter (Souths) - 17 yo.
* Sean Lynch (Souths) - 17 yo.
* Steven Verrier (Souths)
* Nathan Broad (Swans)
* Corey Gault (Swans)
* Rhys Waters (Subi)
* Fraser McInnes (Perth) - 196cm ruckman. Probably the best bigman from WA by the sounds of it. Gets quite a bit of the pill, takes marks, can go into the ruck, good competitor. Was one of WA's best at the 16's last year. Could be a high draft pick.
* Dayle Gartlett (Swans) - averaging around 24 poss, 5 tackles and a goal a game in Colts. Cousin of Jeff Gartlett.
* Alex Howard (Swans) - 188cm

Another highly rated kid not included above is Jack Martin (only 16 still). Indigenous kid from Geraldton, described as a pencil thin, Pavlich type. All-Aust schoolboys last year. Watch out for him in years to come.

Others not in the team but may get in are:

Myles Bolger (199cm ruckman) is another who was a really highly rated player. Has had his injury problems though but is playing again and starting to find some form.

Max Duffy (182cm forward/HFF) is an AIS boy, not in the squad yet. May be injured?

Brandon Erceg (192cm defender) - did well in the 16's.

Some familiar names in the WAFL colts - McIntosh, Jakovich, Hill (Stephen's bro), Morabito (Anthony's bro), DeBoer (Matt's bro), Stack, Jordan Dorotich (John's son), Van Berlo, Jetta (17yo), Matera (another one).

A few kids who were maybe unlucky to miss being drafted last year have been doing well in the WAFL (seniors). Kieren Butcher for Peel (reportedly a bit of a slowish Jobe Watson type), Adam Faulkner for Swans.

Doesn't look like its as strong as previous years out west.

Great post. Dont think Yarran eligible - Gartlett isnt!

Nelson is the one I am looking to watching much more of at champs. Didnt he have 40 touches on the weekend I think I was told??? Also very keen on Waters and seeing how he compares at National level. I thnk Duffy would be up there based on what I saw of him last year - he was exceptional at times.

Would have thought Craig Hoskins might be a late chance as well as Liam O'Connor albeit its all very early obviously.

Nelson is the one I am looking to watching much more of at champs. Didnt he have 40 touches on the weekend I think I was told??? Also very keen on Waters and seeing how he compares at National level. I thnk Duffy would be up there based on what I saw of him last year - he was exceptional at times.

Would have thought Craig Hoskins might be a late chance as well as Liam O'Connor albeit its all very early obviously.

Duffy had a few issues last year with Perth. Ended up transferring to Easts mid season. Didn't have the greatest year in the WAFL colts last year.

Nelson had a 40+ possession effort and a 38 possession effort in two matches this year. The least he has had is 26.

Really hope that Tom Mitchell gets back into things soon. Kid is a gun. Only played about 1 game in the WAFL colts last year as a 17yo and got about 45 possessions. Swans have a gun there.

where do people see these boys? they all play reasonably well in the colts
west perth- Healy, Batterham
swans- Riddoch, Fernando
Peel- Dawson, Strange
East Perth- Locantro, Hutchinson
Claremont- Fong, Breakey

Really hope that Tom Mitchell gets back into things soon. Kid is a gun. Only played about 1 game in the WAFL colts last year as a 17yo and got about 45 possessions. Swans have a gun there.

I am really excited at the prospect of having Mitchel play for the Swans next year. I am really trying to keep a lid on it but from the things i have read from people who have seen him play he would have been a extremely high draft pick if he went into the regular draft.

Also i probably should know this but does anyone know specifically what injury Mitchell got last year and how long until we should see him playing football again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gartlett is going to be a player. 36 possessions (32 kicks) and 12 I50's in today's game.

Anyone seen Fraser McInnes play? Looks like the big man had another great game today with 23 poss, 7 marks, 20 hitouts and a goal.

any one know much about some of the sa prospects.

i know hender 187cm and drew gallard 189cm were in the state team last year. wondering what positions they play??

is sam mayes and brodie grundy eligible?? both did well in the under 16s

waldhuter and grigg??

where do people see these boys? they all play reasonably well in the colts
west perth- Healy, Batterham
swans- Riddoch, Fernando
Peel- Dawson, Strange
East Perth- Locantro, Hutchinson
Claremont- Fong, Breakey

Chase Strange is not eligible yet, next year is his go.

Incredible talent that will probaly go wasted if he doesn't change his attitude.
Rely's on his talent too much, just lucky he's got so much.
Played in last years colts gf as a 15 year old and was one of the better players.
Needs to learn to respect his elders and change the way he talks to them, his parents included.
Also little things like his eating habits, and approach to recovery need to change.
Like a lot of kids drafted from Peel can be extremely talented but have attitude problems.
People think he could be a top 5 draft pick if he starts to change his attitude.

Pies have 3 Potential NSW Scholarship player pies can Draft/Rookie in:

• Tyson Charracher
  • Micheat Hartley
  • Jarrad Witts
Just wondering what people here think of them?

Does anyone know the dates for Draft Camp and the Draft for 2011? Where is the Draft being held this year?

Just found on the WAFL page that the Draft State Combine, for 15 and 16 yo's, were in May this year. I presume that is so GWS, and clubs looking to trade with GWS for the eligible 17 yo's can get a closer look? :confused:

The NAB AFL Draft State Combine will be held at the Edith Cowan University in Perth on Wednesday, 4 May.

Thirty players (aged 15 and 16 years) will undergo sprint, endurance, agility and vertical jump testing in the indoor basketball courts.​

Carnival starts on 29 May.

FWIW Richard Newell the Lions scholarship player has moved to Brisbane and is training with the Lions and playing in the ressies. In doing so he has been assured of a spot on the Lions list for next year. I was hoping to get a look at him at the Champs but that now be unlikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back