2011 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the few seemingly close to my thoughts, at least in relation to Dogs and Cats. Dogs to be Pies main rivals. Freo to continue in 2010 form, and Subi advantage seeing them make top 4. St Kilda depth a challenge, made up for with continued determination and that 'Saints Footy' stuff.

Hawthorn continue to be overrated some, Geelong to slide some, but on pure W/L basis, not that much. Adelaide to recover 09 form, North to win 2-3 more games following rigid adherence to 2010 devt plan and increased fitness to carry out game plan (mid tier and kids to both take a step up together, for a change).

My variation...

1. Collingwood
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Fremantle
4. St Kilda
-----------------
5. Hawthorn
6. Geelong
7. North Melbourne
8. Adelaide
-----------------
9. Sydney (Bloods spirit sees them win games they should lose)
10. Carlton (As with most 'big 4' teams, a tendency to be overrated. Reliance on Judd, overrated mids and small fwds.)
11. Port Adelaide (Will surprise many)
12. Essendon (Hird gives Dons their mojo back, with crowd factor helping out)
13. Melbourne (Similar output to 2010, but not yet mature enough)
14. Richmond (Similar dev't track to 2010, with an additional new bunch of players)
16. Gold Coast (Gieschen hands them a few wins ;) )
16. Brisbane (A step back to go fwds, a year later than they should have)
17. West Coast (Woosha to be sacked, first to finish 17th!

Shinboner spirit, in your teams case as well? ;)

West Coast have such a bad list, it is hard to see where any improvement can come from, especially with the coaching staff they have.

I disagree. We may lack depth but our best 22 is pretty decent. If requested I can supply it to you.

No.

Agree with the coaching staff, but list isn't an issue.

Mmm. To be fair, I don't expect opposition supporters to have an in depth knowledge of our list but I seem to think people look more for the Spanghers, the McKinleys, the Nicoskis, the Embleys, the Mastens (though i think he'll come good), the Mcginnitys, the Hansens and the Lynches in our list, while they over look the Shueys, Kerrs, Naitanuis, Kennedys, Leccas, Strijks and Hams' (and more) on our list.

As I said, I can't complain, but if anyone is willing to disagree I don't mind submitting a best 22. It's young, but that only adds further to my point.

1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Bulldogs
4. Geelong
5. Hawthorn
6. Adelaide
7. Carlton
8. Fremantle
9. Sydney
10. Melbourne
11. North Melbourne
12. Port Adelaide
13. Essendon
14. Brisbane
15. West Coast
16. Richmond
17. Gold Coast

Fairly boring ladder. The same top 4 again, lol.

1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Bulldogs
4. Geelong
5. Hawthorn
6. Adelaide
7. Carlton
8. Fremantle
9. Sydney
10. Melbourne
11. North Melbourne
12. Port Adelaide
13. Essendon
14. Brisbane
15. West Coast
16. Richmond
17. Gold Coast

Fairly boring ladder. The same top 4 again, lol.

You can say that again.

I believe I'm right in saying that 2010 was the first time that the top 4 remained unchanged from the year before.

What's the liklihood of it happening a third time ?

You can say that again.

I believe I'm right in saying that 2010 was the first time that the top 4 remained unchanged from the year before.

What's the liklihood of it happening a third time ?

Virtually nil. And predicting that Collingwood won't get a hangover AND Geelong won't be seriously affected by it's losses AND St Kilda won't be damaged by missing out 3 times in 2 years AND the Dogs won't slide is very low percentage guessing. Imo I think 2 of the 3 non Collingwood top 4 will drop.

Mmm. To be fair, I don't expect opposition supporters to have an in depth knowledge of our list but I seem to think people look more for the Spanghers, the McKinleys, the Nicoskis, the Embleys, the Mastens (though i think he'll come good), the Mcginnitys, the Hansens and the Lynches in our list, while they over look the Shueys, Kerrs, Naitanuis, Kennedys, Leccas, Strijks and Hams' (and more) on our list.

As I said, I can't complain, but if anyone is willing to disagree I don't mind submitting a best 22. It's young, but that only adds further to my point.

Kerr is past it, Natanui is the most overrated player there has ever been. He isn't going to be as good as everyone else says he will be. I would say that the only player up to par on your list (that has proven to be) is Lecras, and I would want to see another good year from Kennedy, Hams etc before I would consider them to be A grade players.

Is that you Gary?

1. Collingwood
2. Hawthorn
3. Carlton
4. St. Kilda

5. Fremantle
6. Adelaide
7. Geelong
8. Sydney

9. Bulldogs
10. Melbourne
11. North Melb
12. Gold Coast
13. Essendon
14. Port
15. Richmond
16. West Coast
17. Brisbane

Big call is that the Bulldogs won't make the finals. I think they are done. Brisbane for the spoon, a few foul moves from voss has destroyed them, lost a few of their core players...

Richmond and West Coast to be down for another year. West Coast have such a bad list, it is hard to see where any improvement can come from, especially with the coaching staff they have.

Geelong will still make the finals, but will be first week fodder. Hawthorn to finally get back on track after 08, Carlton to finally see their draft picks pay some dividends.
I agree with the hawks comment. I think Kruezer may take 12 months to get his mojo back so i'd swap the Dogs and Carlton. Doggies addressed some weaknesses in trade week and I can see them being up there again. Unless something outrageous happens I can see Nth winning as many as we lose again so if that good enough to scrape in I'd swap us and Adelaide as I thought their trade period was poor. Gave away all their picks for a couple of players who haven't ever been dominant in a game as yet.
On the Pies I'm not sure if they'll finish on top but up there all the same. Its a whole different ball game when you become the hunted as opposed to the hunter(see Ess on 01 and Hawks of 09). So after all that I'll put my nads on the line with this ladder.

Hawthorn (surprising but Hale gives them options, Rioli,Hodge,Buddy stars)
Collingwood (teams will dissect them now but still very good)
Bulldogs ( Still a great midfield with Cooney to come back)
Geelong ( enough great players to win most games)
St Kilda ( now everyone knows pace trouble them, will help others)
Freo ( good again but rely on Sandilands to play every week to be great)
Sydney (could very well finish higher if Bradshaw plays most games)
NM (had to put them in, Petrie, Anthony and Ziebell back will help)
Carlton (key backs are their achillies, midfield strong though)
Adelaide ( Like Hale, Tippet isn't a full time FF)
Melb (could easily swap spots with us, injury, momentum etc...)
Port (new coach will improve them but lack depth in the ruck)
Ess (Hird will provide hope but a lack of kicking skill will hurt)
Rich ( I think the last year this low for a while as they have something)
Bris (Fevola and Brown in 1 side just can't see a spoon happening)
WC (to win the last 3 in a row, they will climb to much talent not to)
GC (reality check, you can't debut a dozen players and get within 50pts)

1. Collingwood - 18 wins - IMO the best list in the league, also one of the youngest as well. Don't expect them to drop off at all.
2. Fremantle - 16 wins - This will no doubt surprise, they play 12 games in WA and should win them all, and they have shown they can win away as well.
3. Saints - 16 wins - Unlike some I don't think they will slide too far.
4. Hawthorn - 15 wins - Should be top 4 if they get the act together from the start of the season.
5. Geelong - 15 wins - Still good enough to be thereabouts, but will drop back a few spots as they regroup.
6. Carlton - 12 wins - Despite all the reported problems the Blues finished in the 8 this year, should do so again next year.
7. Swans - 12 wins - Always seem to be thereabouts, see no reason to change that.
8. North - 11 wins - Scott should get them in to the 8 next year.
---------------
9. Melbourne - 11 wins - Could sneak in, but I reckon they will fall just short. Not sold on their ability to kick enough goals.
10. Western Bulldogs - 10 wins - Sorry Dogs fans just don't see where the improvement will come from.
11. Adelaide - 10 wins - Similar position to this year as they bring the kids up to speed.
12. Port - 9 wins - Should win abour the same number as this year
13. Brisbane - 8 wins - Voss embraces the kids and turns over the list.
14. Tigers - 8 wins - Hardwick to continue on the path he started this year.
15. Essendon - 6 wins Hird will get a few wins as he looks over the list.
16. West Coast - 4 wins & a First round PP and a new coach.
17. Gold Coast - 4 wins and an prior to second round PP. Gold Coast to play the system to a tee. With their swag of compo picks and another pick in the 20's they'll rape the draft again.

1. Collingwood
2. Fremantle
3. St.Kilda
4. Adelaide
5. Geelong
6. Sydney
7. Melbourne
8. Hawthorn
9. Western Bulldogs
10.Richmond
11.North Melbourne
12.Gold Coast
13.Carlton
14.Essendon
15.West Coast
16.Port Adelaide
17.Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Collingwood - thanks AFL yes we would like to play all 22 games at MCG

The big gap

2. St. Kilda - not done with yet
3. Western Bulldogs - their recruits will actually make them better
4. Adelaide - On a big push back up the ladder.
5. Sydney - Still got enough
6. Carlton - somewhere near but not good enough
7. Fremantle - Reality setting in
8. Geelong - Internal trouble brewing
9. Melbourne - Moving in the right direction
10. North Melb - See Melb have some quality kids
11. Richmond - Up and down which Richmond is the real one?
12. Port Adelaide - Will be competitive most of the time. Injuries will be crucial
13. Hawthorn - President led implosion
14. Gold Coast - some wins, but too many kids at this stage
15. Essendon - Welcome to real life Hird
16. West Coast - Will try not to win too many games
17. Brisbane - do they have anybody left?

1. Collingwood - thanks AFL yes we would like to play all 22 games at MCG

The big gap

2. St. Kilda - not done with yet
3. Western Bulldogs - their recruits will actually make them better
4. Adelaide - On a big push back up the ladder.
5. Sydney - Still got enough
6. Carlton - somewhere near but not good enough
7. Fremantle - Reality setting in
8. Geelong - Internal trouble brewing
9. Melbourne - Moving in the right direction
10. North Melb - See Melb have some quality kids
11. Richmond - Up and down which Richmond is the real one?
12. Port Adelaide - Will be competitive most of the time. Injuries will be crucial
13. Hawthorn - President led implosion
14. Gold Coast - some wins, but too many kids at this stage
15. Essendon - Welcome to real life Hird
16. West Coast - Will try not to win too many games
17. Brisbane - do they have anybody left?

Jimmy is in touch with reality, but I'm pretty certain you aren't.

Kerr is past it, Natanui is the most overrated player there has ever been. He isn't going to be as good as everyone else says he will be. I would say that the only player up to par on your list (that has proven to be) is Lecras, and I would want to see another good year from Kennedy, Hams etc before I would consider them to be A grade players.

Can't say Kerr's past it, when he's been able to get on the park he has been pretty good. Was absolutely outstanding in some games of 2009.

Over-rated or not, Naitanui will be an excellent player. I'm not going to get into a "Naitanui - will he be good?" debate but it would be churlish to suggest that at the very least he won't be a very serviceable ruckman.

I didn't mean to suggest that Hams and Kennedy were A graders just yet, but Kennedy will be there very soon.

In the midfield, just off the top of my head I'd say that Shuey, Swift, Stevens, Scott Selwood and Sheppard have the potential to be A graders in the future. Shuey will be there first. And I know it's not much to go by but I'd say it's more than likely we're going to get a decent midfielder with pick 4 anyway.

I'd also say Hurn is about a B+ player at this stage and will improve when we improve as a whole. One of our most important players. Strijk is a gun too.

1. Collingwood
2. Hawthorn
3. St Kilda
4. Cats
5. Sydney
6. Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton
9. Melbourne
10. Adelaide
11. Lions
12. GC
13. Kangaroos
14. Port Adelaide
15. Bombers
16. Richmond
17. West Coast

1. Collingwood
2. Hawthorn
3. Geelong
4. Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. Fremantle
7. St Kilda
8. Richmond
9. Carlton
10. Bulldogs
11. North Melb
12. Sydney
13. Pt Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. Gold Coast
16. West Coast
17. Brisbane

1. Collingwood
2. Fremantle
3. Hawthorn
4. Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. North
7. Melbourne
8. Geelong

9. Port Adelaide
10. St.Kilda
11. Richmond
12. Bulldogs
13. Carlton
14. Brisbane
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Essendon

1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Fremantle
4. Carlton
5. Geelong
6. North Melbourne
7. Melbourne
8. Hawthorn
9. Richmond
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Port Adelaide
12. Adelaide
13. Sydney
14. Gold Coast
15. West Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Essendon

Jimmy is in touch with reality, but I'm pretty certain you aren't.

I reckon he has it pretty right. The crows were surprising low finishers in 2010 after being a top 4/top 8 team for a long time. But most of that was to do with the number of players missing alot of preseason. So half of their team was struggling for fitness in the first 5 weeks of the season, hence the bad start. I think they'll be back in the 8 next year with a better preseason. Bombers will be bottom :cool:

Ok here's my second effort:

1 - Collingwood 18 - 21 wins.
Easily the best gameplan and one of the best lists in the competition, will have Collingwood one step ahead of the pack in the H&A.

----------------------------

2 - St Kilda 14 - 17 wins
Despite now having missed out 3 times in 2 years they are simply the best of the rest. Have one year more of being a Top 2 team and will gradually slide down from there unless of some dramatic changes at Moorabin.

3 - Western Bulldogs 13 - 17 wins
I originally had them on the Cusp of the 8 but a strong trading period and the additions of Wallis and Liberatore have seen me change my opinion. Need to win this year, otherwise they are looking at more years of wait.

---------------------------

4 - Fremantle 12 - 16 wins
Injuries permitting we should see the Dockers ascend into the Top 4 and put their premiership aspirations into 3rd Gear. The youth is one of the best in the competition and with Pavlich, Sandilands, Mundy and Duffield providing experience they will be in good stead for a few years to come.

5 - Geelong 12 - 15 wins
One of the harder teams to place Geelong have had a huge shift in terms of players and coaching staff and this could cause internal problems. They have the quality in their team to justify another year of contention but I think this great team are now past it and need to prepare there youth if they want to remain competitive.

6 - Sydney 11 - 14 wins
This will be a stabalising year for the Swans with a new coach and captain. The Roos/Kirk era has left and now John Longmire has the reigns. The midfield youth is an exciting prospect for the Swans with Jack, Kennedy, Hannerbery and Jetta looking like guns of the future. The forward line will determine whether they are going to contend and they will rely on Bradshaw to kick at least 40 goals.

7 - Hawthorn 11 - 16 wins.
Another team which I struggled to find a spot for. What I liked is that they had a big clean out of their list and are looking for improvement in their list. The top end of their list is immense quality but it falls away very quickly. Could be anywhere in the top 8 and will be a big danger to the Top 4 come finals.

8 - Carlton 11 - 14 wins
Once again I had trouble placing the Blues but the difference between 4 - 8 will be very small and I can see any of these teams advancing to a Preliminary Final. The midfield one again will be key for the Blues and the forward looks to have got its act together. Kreuzer and the backline will be the worried for the Blues, Kruezer is paramount to their success and without him firing they won't be able to match the top 4. The backline has been exposed on numerous occasions and will need to be fixed.

9 - North Melbourne 10 - 13 wins.
The reason for not having them in the top 8 is because I am not sold on their midfield. After Harvey and Swallow the midfield is quite young and in expierienced. Adams, Bastinac, Cunnington, etc. are a bit of a unknown in high pressure situations and whether they will be able to stand up when a finals berth is on the line is debatable. Up forward and back they are very strong and the ruck combo is as good as any other. They should be looking to add midfield skill and speed in this draft period.

10 - Adelaide 9 - 13 wins
Had no idea where to put them but I have settled on 10th as suitable for the Crows. They will be looking to stabalize after a huge amount of players having left the club or retired. The forward line and backline is very solid and they have midfield stars in Thompson and Vince but there depth is lacking and I can see them being mid table for a year before another surge up the ladder.

11 - Port Adelaide 8 - 12 wins.
Port have a decent list but I'm not sure from where the improvement will come from. There rucks are ageing and Brogan doesn't have long left before he hangs up the boots. Their backline is there strongest area and will be key to their success. The midfield and forward line are developing and have quality but not great depth. They will be a top 8 team circa 2012/3.

12 - Melbourne 7 - 11 wins
Not sure they will rocket up the ladder as some have suggested and I have feeling they will have to take a step back before going forward into the Top 8. All over the park you see youth and potential but at some point they will run into trouble if certain players don't perform. Not sure on their ability to kick goals.

13 - Richmond 6 - 9 wins.
Have a bucketload of potential and will be looking for finals footy in the not too distant future. They are probably one step behind the teams in positions 9 - 12 and should be a team who on their day can challenge most teams. Their midfield is shaping up as one of the best and with Riewoldt up forward they are in good shape. The defence and ruck will need some work and look for them to draft this way.

14 - Gold Coast - 4 - 7 wins.
They will struggle in their first season but will have enough top end quality to get some wins at home and against lolwly teams. The forward line will be a problem and they will struggle to kick scores against the good defences.

15 - West Coast 4 - 6 wins
The depth and their coaching staff is really bad and they will struggle outside of WA to get wins. Will need their midfielders to step up with the likes Shuey, Swift, Selwood and Ebert all needing to have breakout years.
LeCras and Kennedy will need service to kick them winning scores.

16 - Essendon 4 - 6 wins
James Hird has no coaching expeirince and alot of problems to fix, this is not an ideal situation for the club. The KPP talent is there but the midfield after Watson is just not up to scratch. Will need to add alot of mid quality in the upcoming drafts to become competitive.

17 - Brisbane 3 - 6 wins
Really not sure whether the coach, team moral or lack of quality will be there downfall next year. It could be a combination of all three, with the players not having faith in Vossy, the club or the other players. They are stairing at the abyss and with the compromised drafts coming they may tumble straight down.

Rip it to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back