North Melbourne
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Essendon
West Coast
Gold Coast
Brisbane

Lol not after that leg break. You'll be lucky if he plays more than 11 games.

possibly but from all reports its very similar to the way michael voss broke his leg in 98 and he played 20 games the following year...further more you'd like to think our grasp of the medical practice is leaps and bounds ahead of where we were 12 years ago so i hold high hopes of a big season from the man that nobody wanted 12 months ago but everybody wants right now.
the best thing is, even if he does only play 11 games, i'd still bet my house that he accumulates more votes than any of the poor souls on the west coast eagles list......

COLLINGWOOD – Still young, good depth and were head and shoulders above the rest this year. Doubt they’ll have a hangover like the Hawks.
WESTERN BULLDOGS – The Doggies have had a dream trading/drafting period. Secured Wallis and Libba Jnr, who are both elite young talents. Plus their speedy recruitments from other club. More games into Cordy, Grant, Reid, Ward, Roughead etc. I can only see them improving.
SYDNEY – Paul Roo’s has put together a brilliant list for Longmire to work with. Their young players were brilliant this year, as were the more experienced types in Goodes, Bolton, McVeigh and O’Keefe. They have built a solid midfield and should improve again this year.
FREMANTLE – Providing Barlow comes back and plays some consistent footy, I think Freo will be right in contention again this year. Sandi and Pav are a year older, but they should continue to provide strong service again this year. Their young midfield should keep improving and hopefully they can cover the loss of Tarrant in the backline.
CARLTON – Could push into the top 4, but I think somewhere around 5th-7th is more realistic. The key is to get a solid defence happening. Gibbs and Yarran should spend more time in the midfield. More games into Henderson, Lucas and hopefully Kreuzer will provide more consistency. An injury free Murphy and Bower will be helpful, along with Walker providing an option up forward and through the midfield.
NORTH MELBOURNE – Brad Scott has put together a brilliant young list and their young midfield has a lot of grunt. Defence is looking good. Daniel Wells needs to have a big year, playing as a ball carrier to add some speed and class to their working class midfield, and they need to find more goal kickers. Petrie receiving stronger delivery will help that.
ST KILDA – Rely too much on Hayes, Riewoldt and Goddard. I think their game style will get found out and some younger sides will start overtaking them. Not a lot of young talent coming through, need to draft well this year and next to sustain success.
GEELONG – They had to drop sometime. Losing Ablett and key players like Ling, Scarlett, Milburn and Corey not getting any younger will drop down the pecking order a bit. Showed they lacked leg speed in the prelim against the Pies, but a new coach could surprise and rejuvenate this champion group.
Adelaide – Lost a lot of experience at the end of this year, a good chance to make the 8 in 2011, but I see them just missing out.
Melbourne – Promising young group that will keep on improving, and I think they could really make the eight, but it’s just too hard to drop any other teams out. One more year in the bottom eight and they should start making a name for themselves.
Hawthorn – Average side with a few stars, Hodge and Franklin are the only ones doing any work.
Port Adelaide – Bit of a nothing side, are a few years off making the eight. Hope to see John Butcher get a few games.
Richmond – Could really surprise everyone and make the 8, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Essendon – You can recruit all the coaches you want, but if you haven’t got the players…
Gold Coast – Ablett, Bock, Harbrow, Rischitelli, Brennan, Swallow, Toy etc. too good to finish last.
Brisbane – Rabble.
West Coast – Need to keep playing the kids.

possibly but from all reports its very similar to the way michael voss broke his leg in 98 and he played 20 games the following year...further more you'd like to think our grasp of the medical practice is leaps and bounds ahead of where we were 12 years ago so i hold high hopes of a big season from the man that nobody wanted 12 months ago but everybody wants right now.
the best thing is, even if he does only play 11 games, i'd still bet my house that he accumulates more votes than any of the poor souls on the west coast eagles list......

He got less votes than priddis this year.

There might be some truth in your post though about him playing more than 11 games.
Look at palmer though with his knee reco. And brown after his leg break.

Wouldnt expect too much from barlow in 2011.

Youth means improvement is to come.

Port is neither young nor good and therefore in a poor position.
Youth is an excuse used by coaches and clubs to keep supporters on side. It doesn't guarantee improvement.

You wouldn't know anything about Port's list except that Boak is half decent and Gray can play a bit so what point is there in discussing that?

A poor position would be bottom of the ladder and without pick one.

I already wish I'd never entered this thread.

Youth is an excuse used by coaches and clubs to keep supporters on side. It doesn't guarantee improvement.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Youth alone doesn't guarantee improvement. In fact, it is possibly going to cost improvement.

To get improvement, you want the outgoing players to not cost you much in performance from the current year. Check that for the Crows ... only the loss of Goodwin is going to hurt. You can't count on much from new incoming players with zero experience (i.e. draftees), the improvement if any is going to come from players who at the end of 2010 were in the 20 to 70 games experience range.

Any less than 20 games experience they are still raw rookies ... likely to be a liability.

Any more than say 70 games experience they are likely to have "got it" by now, and aren't going to improve all that much after that point.

Having a number of good, promising players with between 20 to 70 games experience is the "sweet spot" for improvement, as long as your outgoing players don't carry away too much performance.

You wouldn't know anything about Port's list except that Boak is half decent and Gray can play a bit so what point is there in discussing that?

A poor position would be bottom of the ladder and without pick one.

I already wish I'd never entered this thread.

Woosha is The wce coach. You dont need to talk to me about that.

Truth can Hurt.

Other than Boak and a few highly rated draftees you picked up last year who haven't performed yet you aint got much going for you.

You have good youngish KPD's, An old and mediocre midfield, a terrible forward line, and a almost non existent ruck division for next year.
The mastenlike failure to date of your highest ever draft pick has hurt your list dramatically and most of your best players are terribly aged.

He got less votes than priddis this year.

There might be some truth in your post though about him playing more than 11 games.
Look at palmer though with his knee reco. And brown after his leg break.

Wouldnt expect too much from barlow in 2011.

a reco is totally different to a leg break and brown's break wasnt clean, it splintered which caused complications further down the track.
the only realistic injury we can go by is voss' as it was extremely similar. therefore we can hold high hopes of a solid return next year. from what we have seen from barlow leads me to believe that if anyone was gonna come back from this injury it would be this guy!!!!

1. Hawthorn
2. Collingwood
3. Adelaide (not being biased)
4. St. Kilda
5. Geelong
6. Fremantle
7. Carlton
8. Bulldogs
9. Gold Coast (will be competitive)
10. Richmond
11. Sydney
12. Melbourne
13. North Melbourne
14. Port Adelaide
15. West Coast
16. Essendon
17. Brisbane

Hahaha Adelaide thats funny

1.Collingwood. Did well in trade week
2.St Kilda. List stays same why wont they do same as this year
3.Bulldogs. Picked up a few lost no one
4.Geelong. On the downhill
5.Fremantle. Barlow back freo guns
6.Sydney. Solid still
7.Hawthorn. Can challenge come september
8.Melbourne. On the rise quickly

9.Carlton. Can push for the 8.
10.North Melbourne. Good young list
11.Gold Coast. Dont underestimate the list scott clayton is putting together
12.Essendon. Interesting to see how they go with hirdy
13.Adelaide. To many retired players to push next year
14.Richmond. Should have a bit more confidence than this year
15.West Coast. Crap
16.Port Adelaide. Crap
17.Brisbane. Crap

a reco is totally different to a leg break and brown's break wasnt clean, it splintered which caused complications further down the track.
the only realistic injury we can go by is voss' as it was extremely similar. therefore we can hold high hopes of a solid return next year. from what we have seen from barlow leads me to believe that if anyone was gonna come back from this injury it would be this guy!!!!

Some truth again to all of this but still not expecting much from barlow come 2011. Especially not a brownlow.

Barlow is pretty well placed to come back from such an injury but not because of his spirit/personality. That can take you only so far. Pace is often the most effected attribute with such injuries. Followed by kicking skills. Barlow's strengths are neither of these hence why it took so long for him to be drafted. Barlows strength lies in his footy brain, height, fitness and ability to win contested ball none of which should be badly effected by such an injury. Still that that double break was the worst ive seen since browns.

Woosha is The wce coach. You dont need to talk to me about that.

Truth can Hurt.

Other than Boak and a few highly rated draftees you picked up last year who haven't performed yet you aint got much going for you.

You have good youngish KPD's, An old and mediocre midfield, a terrible forward line, and a almost non existent ruck division for next year.
The mastenlike failure to date of your highest ever draft pick has hurt your list dramatically and most of your best players are terribly aged.

Who are Port Adelaide's best players then.

Posts like these show that some don't pay attention to AFL beyond their own local paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are Port Adelaide's best players then.

Posts like these show that some don't pay attention to AFL beyond their own local paper.

I assure you i dont read the paper.

ATM? your best players in MY OPINION obviously yours and others will differ are:

1. K Cornes
2. Boak
3. Cassissi
4. Carlisle (rate more than most)
5. Rodan (rate most damaging midfield player per disposal in the comp)

HM many of which most are players people rate more than me
Pearce, Chaplin, Gray, Surjan

Brogan i am completely ignoring due to age and the fact he is extremely close to retirement. Chad is probably finished.

After cornes and boak your team is extremely even and is hard to order. Thats your teams problem no stars most just reasonable middle aged players. My team has a similiar problem atm except is younger.
Everything about port atm screams mediocre to average. So many of your players can be good but never consistently are.

Laughable?

I'd suggest your post is.

Any club with the top end talent of Hawthorn is capable of a top 4 finish, and in 2010 we showed great form against the teams that you suggest we'll get nowhere near in 2011.

Centrebet prices for 2011.
Code:
COLLINGWOOD    3.00 
ST KILDA    4.50 
[B]HAWTHORN    7.00[/B] 
GEELONG            8.00 
WESTERN BULLD'S 10.00 
FREMANTLE    14.00 
CARLTON         17.00 
SYDNEY          21.00 
ADELAIDE    26.00 
MELBOURNE       26.00 
NORTH MELBOURNE 51.00 
BRISBANE    67.00 
ESSENDON    67.00 
PORT ADELAIDE    101.00 
RICHMOND    101.00 
WEST COAST    101.00 
GOLD COAST    126.00
We both know that's a BS argument. See 2009, or 2010 ladder prediction threads.

Same story EVERY year.
Top 5-6 at the Hawks is fine.
But the rest of the list = nge.
As proven by the last two years. Smacked by us FFS! Lost what... 6 straight?

And given you've thrown picks at a player who won't *really* make a difference, I can't see you making any strides, unless you hit 3 or 4 late pick, or rookie, gems.

Any side is *capable* of doing almost anything... it's *possible* gumby will kick 80 next year, Stanton will make a huge step up, Myers will have a freak year...
it's much more *likely* tho, that we'll continue to be inconsistent, average, and not win many more or less than we did this year; and Collingwood et al will win shitloads more...

I think 2011 will be one of those transitional years where no one is a clear favourite, kind of like 2005.

Geelong, St.Kilda and the Dogs to drop down.

Collingwood to get a premiership hangover.

Hawthorn and Freo to move up.

Hawthorn v Freo GF. Dockers will just be happy to be there and will get thumped.

2011 Premiers: Hawthorn

Thanks to trade week, the Pies have widened the gap between us and our next competitor by about 4-6 goals.
Can see them having an Essendon 2000 or St Kilda 2009 dominant kind of season.

Thanks to trade week, the Pies have widened the gap between us and our next competitor by about 4-6 goals.
Can see them having an Essendon 2000 or St Kilda 2009 dominant kind of season.

Surely you'd want a season more rewarding than that.

Oh God are people posting predictions that differ from my personal view? I must comment on them and point out how there prediction is, of course, wrong.

Says who? Beig young doesn't guarantee impovement and improvement doesn't always occur naturally. Young players stagnate or go backwards all the time before they end up at a good level of performance.
True enough. Perfectly correct.

However, having said that, given two groups of ten players, the younger group having between 20 and 70 games experience, and the older group having between 130 and 180 games experience, in general it is valid to expect that in general on balance the older group will have better current performance but the younger group on balance will improve more in coming seasons.

Says who? Beig young doesn't guarantee impovement and improvement doesn't always occur naturally. Young players stagnate or go backwards all the time before they end up at a good level of performance.

It doesn't guarantee improvement but is strongly correlated with it.

the two youngest teams last year by quite a distance were WCE and Richmond. You saying you dont expect either of these teams to improve over the next few years? Or GC who will most probably be the youngest team this year to not have improved in a few years time?

Dont be so petty and ridiculous.

The oldest most experienced teams nearly always finish higher than the younger teams.

It doesn't guarantee improvement but is strongly correlated with it.

the two youngest teams last year by quite a distance were WCE and Richmond. You saying you dont expect either of these teams to improve over the next few years? Or GC who will most probably be the youngest team this year to not have improved in a few years time?

Dont be so petty and ridiculous.

The oldest most experienced teams nearly always finish higher than the younger teams.
That's circular tho.
You get help (picks) for being on the bottom.
And once old sides start to drop, the old guys pull the pin one after another and they're soon enough a young side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back