Review 2011 season player reviews: Stake your claim in the BigFooty Annual.

Remove this Banner Ad

52. Cameron Johnston

Games - 0
Goals - 0
Best and Fairest votes - Surely you jest?

I was three quarters of the way through writing this profile when much like Cameron's football career everything collapsed around me and I was cut down in the midst of what I wasn't doing particularly well.

Acres of fluff written for the purposes of the Big Footy annual couldn't hide the fact that we never really knew Cameron. He played a handful VFL games, including the early Geelong debacle, and racked up 31 possessions in his last home and away reserves game of the season yet somehow found himself in the can after just one year as a rookie.

Did anyone ever see him play? Sure I was there for that Geelong game but anybody who saw it will attest to the fact that the guys in Casey jumpers that morning were not in any way playing the game that you'd recognise as AFL football. At one point during the carnage Cale Morton even won a hard ball get from a centre bounce. It was not a normal day, and to think we thought it couldn't possible get any worse in the main event. In years to come Cameron, Dean Bailey and Addam Maric will sit together and all reminisce about how that day wound up with them losing their jobs while Cameron Schwab hovers outside the window flicking two fingers at them safe in the knowledge that it somehow saved his.

Why did he only get one year? We'll probably never know. You've either got to do something terrible or have awful luck to get the boot as a rookie after one but as he's already taking up residency in the where are they now file with other failed speculative rookie selections such as Ryan Ayres, Thomas Marshall and Joel Campbell it's almost certain that we'll never know the true story. Clubs don't tend to go into too much detail about why they axe rookies that you've never heard of.

What did we really know about him? Well according to his draft profile he labelled himself as being like Ryan O'Keefe, Andrew McLeod or Brett Ebert and wound up being mostly like the last one if somebody had dropped a block of concrete on his legs. Maybe. It's really all just speculation. Even a Google search doesn't turn up much from after his drafting - and Google News only tells us that there's somebody of the same name making a mint in New Zealand by hand crafting cufflinks. At least somebody's doing their bit for the name. Twitter is similiarly unenlightening as Cam turned down the opportunity to join his teammates in telling us about his love for the Xbox. There is, however, this guy, who as a Cronulla signwriter and ex-kickboxer could actually lend more to our cause in the future than his namesake.

Still, he lived the dream ever so briefly - and even if he has to resort to Google to prove to his kids that for one year he was almost an AFL footballer at least the photographic evidence is there.

So, we draw the curtain on the brief, and admittedly not at all memorable era of Johnston. Rest assured though one day you will be flicking through the Herald Sun at work on a Monday morning, trying desperately to avoid doing any actual work, and you'll come across an obscure Geelong district game involving two clubs you've never heard of and one of the best players will be a certain Mr. C Johnston - and that's more than you've ever seen Thomas Marshall do.

Thanks Super.

Almost half the list is done & that includes most of the rookies. We also have 2-3 who have responded to me saying they would complete theirs by the weekend.

The rest however are back up for grabs. I'll update the OP & also post who we have left to review.

Thanks to all who have put in their reviews so far.

The players without a name against them are back up for review, the ones with a name against them have committed to completing their reviews.

Bail, Rohan
Bartram, Clint
Bate, Matthew
Bennell, Jamie
Blease, Sam - High Flying Flag
Cook, Lucas - ThePupperMaster
Davey, Aaron
Davis, Troy
Dunn, Lynden
Fitzpatrick, Jack
Frawley, James
Green, Brad - High Flying Flag
Jamar, Mark
Jetta, Neville
Macdonald, Joel
Martin, Stefan - sivart
McDonald, Tom
McKenzie, Jordie - ThePupperMaster
Petterd, Ricky - Eth
Rivers, Jared
Spencer, Jake
Tapscott, Luke
Warnock, Matthew
Wonaeamirri, Austin

Rookies:

Evans, Michael - Striker475
Lawrence, Kelvin
McNamara, Tom

So if you're interested in reviewing any of these players put your hand up & they are yours.

I have profile messaged a number of posters to see if the are interested or now in a position to do a review.

No worries if you not interested, just want to put the idea in front of a few posters.

Stefan MARTIN
Luke+McPharlin+Stefan+Martin+AFL+Rd+13+Melbourne+fPEJoGJsoqGl.jpg

2011 STATS (Avg per game)
Games: 21

Disposals: 17.3
Marks: 4.6
Hitouts: 15.0
DT Avg: 82.7
SC Avg: 85.9
EXPECTATIONS 2011

After showing promise in his first few seasons, Martin really tailered off late 2009 & 2010. Coming into the season most people had the big guy on top off the delisting list. However the late bloomer still had the chance to prove himself at this level. Coming into 2011 this was him chance, sink or swim.
OVERALL PERFORMANCE:

What a big season he had, finally transfering his great athletic capabilities into on field performance. He played all but one match this season and he was mighy unlucky to miss that match too.
He started off the season well, but really stepped up a gear or two when the Russian went down and he assumed the number one rucking mantle. What we knew or at leasted hoped he could do, he started to show. With a fantastic 5-6 weeks he started taking good contested marks and running around with mobility for a big man which is rarely seen from men his size.

WHAT OF 2012:
Martin might not turn into a champion of our game, however he has the chance to make himself into a quality utility. But first of all he needs to show that last season wasn't a one off. He needs to keep improving, not rest on what he did in 2011. If he does this I don't see why he can't turn himself into a very good footballer

#14 Lynden Dunn

The Mo that Was - The Year that Wasn't

moustache.gif

Stats

Games - 11
Goals - 16
DT average - 63
Disposals: 11.1/game

Expectations

After a ripping finish to 2010, many a Demon fan wondered if Dunny had turned the corner thanks to his disgraceful moustache. Best 22s everywhere had him on a forward flank, playing the third tall/enforcer role with aplomb and chipping in with a handful of goals a game, usually via the hand-off long bomb. His hairy upper lip was to be a talisman for himself and the forward line at large. Big things awaited.

The Season

Unfortunately for Lynden, the lofty expectations of 2011 did not really come to pass. He played the first third of the year with form that was passable but uninspiring, much like the team itself. His contributions of a goal or two each week were enough to keep him in the team, but one feels he struggled in a forward line that lacked definition and was full of similar players to Dunn - Petterd, Green, Watts, Jurrah and Sylvia (and Bate at times) to be precise. An untimely suspension against the Roos in Round 8 (I think he kneed someone in the head?) saw him out for two weeks and then playing at Casey on his return.
In the Magoos he generally showed pretty good form up forward, but suffered from the above-mentioned abundance of medium-tall forwards in the Seniors, and also from having one B. Fevola taking up a large portion of the forward 50 entries. The emergence of Jeremy Howe certainly didn't help his case.
Dunn returned to the team for 4 games late in the year, again without massive impact - albeit in a side that had lost any form of confidence and ability.

The Future

There is a large unknown here for Dunny in the form of a completely new coaching set-up and associated game plans. He benefited from having signed a 2-year contract in 2010, and now has probably one year to prove himself versatile and consistent enough for a spot on the list in 2013 and beyond. While we all may have had him in our Best 22s at the start of the year, at this stage Lynden has his name firmly in the 'depth' category and he will need to work hard to get out of that. He showed some promise a few years back as a tagger, so perhaps that could be an area for reinvention.
With the trading in of Mitch Clark and the emergence of Watts, Jurrah and Howe, you'd think Dunn would be hard-pressed to find a permanent spot in the forward line, so it's realistically only the midfield which can be the saviour of the MFC's best and worst facial hair. But again, he will face stiff competition from the likes of Petterd, Bate, Sylvia, Tapscott and Morton for said position.
It's going to be a hard road back for Lyn-Dunn.

Guys, it's been a few weeks I know but we have some extra time to get these done so I encourage everyone who hasn't to get in on these & those who have done one or more to have another crack.

All players not listed as completed in the OP are available.

#15 - Ricky Petterd

Ricky+Petterd+AFL+Rd+7+Melbourne+v+Adelaide+ih1oxHurlz7l.jpg

Expectations for season 2011

Ricky got off to a real bang in 2010, kicking twelve goals in six games as a medium forward and almost winning the game off his own boot with four goals in the Round 2 thriller against eventual premiers Collingwood.

Prior to his unfortunate shoulder injury (against North at Etihad, of all places) he looked like a new player. He was marking and goaling and provided a lot of diversity and goal-kicking ability to our forward line, and I expected a 40-goal season from Ricky, as that would maintain his 2010 average of two goals per game. He also warded off speculation that he would return home by signing as an uncontracted player to Gold Coast by signing a contract extension with Melbourne mid-season, highlighting his commitment to becoming a focal point in our club going forward.

Key Statistics

Games: 15
Disposals: 223 (14,9)
Goals: 18 (1.2)
Marks: 79 (5.3)
Tackles: 59 (3.9)
Dream Team: 1182 (78.8)
Supercoach: 1176 (78.4)
Sub on/off: 1/0
Best and Fairest: 15th (102 votes)

Overall Performance

Ricky’s first three quarters of AFL...were spent on the bench against Sydney at the MCG, and he’ll go down in history as Melbourne’s first ever substitute (and it made me rage when I saw the teams pre-game, too). However, he came back on in 2010 form, with six disposals, four marks, two inside 50s and a goal assist in a quarter and without him, we probably wouldn’t have been able to draw the match. His next match against the Hawks, however, was disappointing (although to be fair most Demons were below par) and he was subsequently relegated to Casey, where he played until Round 7.

He came back with a bang against Richmond, racking up fifteen disposals, taking eight marks, kicking four goals and assisting another two, and all of a sudden I was proud of the fact that the number 15 was on the back of my Melbourne jumper - a wise decision indeed. His form then went on another downward spiral, kicking four goals in his next three matches and not doing much else, and considering the fact that the latter of those matches was the ‘bruise-free’ no-contest against Carlton, players had to go, and he was again dropped, and rumour was it was due to a lack of forward pressure.

Forward pressure - the press - was the new flood, or zone, and Ricky’s comeback reinvented it - his first match back was a stock-standard 18-disposal effort but against Richmond, he laid fourteen tackles, thirteen of which were inside Melbourne’s forward 50, a new record by a bloody long way - the next best recorded (since Champion Data began to record the stat, anyway) was seven, held by a number of players. He had previously recorded eight tackles in the area in his seven matches so far, so to say it was an awesome performance is one hell of an understatement.

To catch the media’s attention once again, he took what should have been the Mark of the Year six days later, in a performance consisting of 18 disposals, six marks and two goals - and what a mark it was.

Ricky+Petterd+AFL+Rd+15+Western+Bulldogs+v+FLldQI_3REkl.jpg

With an even better effort (true Mark of the Year aside) against Port Adelaide in Darwin, Ricky looked set to get better as the year went on. Of course, he followed the form of the Dees and only kicked another three goals in five games, a 23-disposal, ten-mark effort against West Coast in Round 21 aside. He suffered a ‘quadriceps’ injury - nothing was made of it - and missed the final two games of a rollercoaster season for both Melbourne and Ricky.

Overall, I’d give him a C - his best was fantastic and his worst was...well, Melbourne’s worst.

What of 2012?

Ricky can go two ways, in my mind. One: he can maintain his inconsistencies, frustrating us Demons supporters once again (and we’ve been frustrated enough), and two: he can hit his form consistently and become our 40-goal medium forward or our goal-a-game midfielder. Naturally I’m hoping for the latter of the two scenarios, but it’s all about being consistent, and with Mark Neeld at the helm who should love working with Ricky, I reckon that hope can become a reality.

We’ll just wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have submitted the current reviews that have been completed to admin & the player review should be out soon.

I would suggest that as you read through any reviews, either from our board or any other board & enjoy the style of writing or information & insight provided that you visit the posters profile & leave a visitor message saying as much.

Some have put a huge amount of work into these so some credit where due would be good.

We have basically completed the Brisbane, Geelong and Carlton Annuals. Carlton are lucky enough to have a good photographer who has kindly let us use his photos for the Annual - they look great.

I'll put together what we have so far for Melbourne and make a copy available to existing authors for review.

For those who did a review I will be posting a link via the BF Dees twitter account to the players twitters of their review.

If they have twitter that is. Might also link in the MFC twitter too.

I saw those CA. Good work.

I'm new to the world of twitter. Do the players often respond to tweets from supporters?

I have tweeted about 8 links to the reviews done:

Gawn
Moloney
Sylvia
Watts
Nicholson
Jones
Trengove
Petterd

The rest don't seem to have twitter accounts.

Be sure to retweet them.

I saw those CA. Good work.

I'm new to the world of twitter. Do the players often respond to tweets from supporters?

Not sure really, The Ox replied a couple of times but I'm not much of a twitter person just keep the Dees account updated.

Every player not on this list is up for grabs to review.

Our Completed reviews:

Addam Maric - #19
Brent Moloney - #22
Cale Morton - #10
Cameron Jonhston - #52
Colin Garland - #20
Colin Sylvia - #12
Daniel Nicholson - #49
Jack Grimes - #16
Jack Trengove - #9
Jack Watts - #4
James Strauss - #47
Jeremy Howe - #38
Jordan Gysberts - #5
Liam Jurrah - #24
Lyndan Dunn - #14
Max Gawn - #37
Michael Newton - #29
Nathan Jones - #2
Ricky Petterd - #15
Robert Campbell - #26
Stefan Martin - #34
Tom Scully - #31

Brisbane & Carlton have completed all their reviews & they will be published soon for all to download.

Have a look at then once they are done & it might give you some motivation to get the rest of ours done.

If we don't complete them, the reviews might be opened up for non MFC supporters to complete. Personally I'd rether we get them all done ourselves but we will see.

CA, I'll have a go (starting at the top) with Rohan Bail.

Just a disclaimer, I only went to 3 MFC matches in 2011 so possibly not particuarly qualified. Will do my best.

Excellent! All we ask is that you give it a go.

Look forward to it.

# 44 – Rohan Bail

Expectations for season 2011:

Bails first seasons in 2009 and 2010 were both derailed by injury after being selected in the 2008 AFL Draft at pick 64 as a slightly mature aged player hailing from Mt Gravatt, Queensland. He was Melbourne’s last pick in this draft behind Watts, Blease, Strauss, Bennell and Jetta. Despite this, and his constant injury troubles Melbourne offered him a two year contract extension which he signed towards the end of 2010. Coming off a strong finish in 2010 where he played 6 of the last 7 games (for a total of 9 games in 2010), most expected Rohan to push hard to be selected week in week out in the best 22. This was confirmed after a strong preseason and NAB cup campaign. His strong body is something that we lacked in an inexperienced midfield, not to mention his ability to run and carry the ball through lines.

Key Statistics:
Career
Debut: 2009
Career matches: 18
Career goals: 5

Matches: 8
Goals: 1
Kicks: 83
Marks: 25
Handballs: 62
Disposals: 145 (18.13 average per match)
Tackles: 40

Overall Performance:

Rohan started the year playing run with roles, his hardness and obvious hard work won him many fans. He did some fantastic jobs playing the first 8 games with distinction. Along the way he played on and beat amongst others Sam Mitchell, Simon Black and Daniel Wells. On more than one occasion he was named in the sides best players. Rohan’s games were particularly notable for his ferocious tackling and ball carrying ability. Rohan’s role went beyond that of a traditional tagger, he won several possessions and often in the final quarter was allowed to go free once his opponent was too tired to affect the match. At times his disposal was disappointing, this is something he needs to work on going into the 2012 season.

Unfortunately towards the end of the round 8 game against North Melbourne he injured his knee, this meant he missed the next 12 weeks. Coming back into the side through the VFL reserves in round 20 he showed his class building up game time before he was selected to play for the Demons in the final game of the season. Without starring in this game he did enough to show he is a player we can be excited about seeing next year.

Rohan came 19th in the Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy immediately ahead of Tom Scully this despite playing only 8 games for the season.

Where to go??

Whether he is better than a tagger, the role he has been playing remains to be seen. Without downplaying the importance of this position, I think he is a solid player and deserves a chance to play on a wing where his pace, supreme carrying skills and ability to break lines will be well utilised. With a new coach who has publicly stated his desire for a tough team I feel Rohan will be given every chance to shine on the big stage. Some improvement in his disposal skills will see him consolidate his position as regular starter and he won’t be far from the best week in week out.
While we started 2011 with two ‘Bails’ we only finished with one, something dramatic would have to happen for this one not to play a big part in our future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2011 season player reviews: Stake your claim in the BigFooty Annual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back