Review Dees v Maggies at the Last Chance Saloon: the Good, Bad and Season Ending

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's Mitch Robinson telling us we're a bruise free footy side? Because that's what we are now. This Pies game was worse than the Freo game. Because we huffed and puffed all week after getting smashed in the media, then we dish up a goalless first quarter and let Maynard and co. Pretty much do what they want. Norf by 35 points next game. We are back to being a soft football club again.
Tbh that's what I hate most about our evolution over the last few years. Back when Goody started we actually used to play with a bit of mongrel and physicality. Not to mention we would always fly the flag.

Now we really are the stereotypical cliche of Melbourne - gentlemanly soft hipsters.

I'm not advocating going out and sniping people. But play with some aggression for God's sake. Stick up for your teammates. Make sides fear playing against you because you are hard and tough and give no quarter. This is the Melbourne I want to see, win, lose or draw.

Tbh that's what I hate most about our evolution over the last few years. Back when Goody started we actually used to play with a bit of mongrel and physicality. Not to mention we would always fly the flag.

Now we really are the stereotypical cliche of Melbourne - gentlemanly soft hipsters.

I'm not advocating going out and sniping people. But play with some aggression for God's sake. Stick up for your teammates. Make sides fear playing against you because you are hard and tough and give no quarter. This is the Melbourne I want to see, win, lose or draw.
Bring back Biffin!

Absolutely, we have lost all dog in our team - Viney, May, Petty, Pickett etc. They're toothless now. I'm concerned we have taken too much of Picketts agro out of his game, he did need to tone it down a bit but it's flat out non-existant now

Absolutely, we have lost all dog in our team - Viney, May, Petty, Pickett etc. They're toothless now. I'm concerned we have taken too much of Picketts agro out of his game, he did need to tone it down a bit but it's flat out non-existant now
It's really noticeable isn't it. We're not supporting each other as a team anymore. Lack of high fives or getting around each other fior 1 percenters. It all seemed to happen around the time May got belted by Milkshakes. I wonder if there was just too much division after that? Not sure, but talent has pushed us into finals last 2 years. Now that's running low, it's all falling apart and the lack of unity is really telling.

Last edited:

I can remember in the EF against Geelong back in 2018 we played like absolute campaigners and we totally bullied them. Our players (especially Harmes) got stuck into Selwood like there was no tomorrow.

The difference between that side and our current one is staggering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back