2011 Top 8 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

im almost positive that we had a better year in 2010 than the hawks of 08

Full credit to them, they were terrific and took their opportunities when they were there. However even Al Clarkson admitted they were lucky with how poorly geelong converted on GF day...doubt anyone can say the same of collingwood this yr

I seriously doubt the Hawks of 08 would "easily account" for the 2010 pies. However to each their own.
/quote]

You had a 0.5 game better year but were not a better side, as stated.

Geelong & the Bulldogs were better sides in 2008. The saints were still a force yet the Hawks put them all away quite convincingly in the end. The sudden exit of our best Ruck & CHB on top of Crawf meant we were always going to be on the backfoot in 2009.

Some could argue the Pies were lucky there was no extra time on GF day.

But as you say...each to their own.:thumbsu:

without injuries

1.Collingwood - no brainer
2.St Kilda - cant see why they would slide down, solid list
3.Bulldogs - injury free season should see permit success
4.Geelong - the decline begins but still hav gun players like bartel & selwood
5.Sydney - With goodes and a future superstar (K.Jack) they'l be up there
6.Carlton - underrated team imo, i ******* hate them tho
7.Freo - will win home games and lose away games
8.Hawks - great individual players, should be higher but wont be

9.North - probably one more year before really making an impact
10.Adelaide - ....they could finish anywhere from 4th - 14th, no idea
11.Richmond - younger players will only get better, hoping for 10 wins
12.Essendon - they beat stkilda TWICE last year, cant be a rabble
13.Port - dont really have a huge upside imo, average forward line (schultz)
14.Brisbane - Brown, black, power and fev will win a few off their ability
15.Gold Coast - need time, wont be terrible
16.West Coast - Have bottomed out
17.Melbourne - just because

hahahaha

He's there's for insurance. Dunno why Melbourne got rid of him with such a midget forward line. 80% of your options are 6'2" lol. You only have Watts who's a true key position height. Dunn and Bate are 3rd and 4th medium talls. You are the new Bulldogs, just too short to challenge :cool:

Bate (192 cm), Dunn (192 cm) and Watts (196 cm) are our current half-forwards IMO.

Petterd (185 cm), Jurrah (190 cm*) and Green (184 cm) play much closer to goal, all three play their best there, and all three kick goals there.

Wonaeamirri (176 cm) Maric (176 cm) are small forwards who are currently competing for the forward pocket. But they can still improve, as they're 22 and 20 respectively.

We also have Jamar (199 cm) who can take ripping pack marks (not that Green, Jurrah and Petterd can't) and Fitzpatrick (200 cm) developing, as taller players take longer - we all know that.

Newton (193 cm) is insurance.

We also look like we're taking Callum Sinclair (201 cm) with our second rounder unless the FD think he'll slip to pick 49.

Divide by 12 and the average age is 22 years 9 months, and the average height is a touch over 190 cm. I'll take that. And note that Green and Jamar blow the average age out a fair bit.

Who says we have a height problem?

*Assumption - Footywire and MFC site say 188 cm, but he seems to tower over Green

Interesting.

North by comparison:

1. Brent Harvey - 32
1, Brady Rawlings - 29
3. Andrew Swallow - 23
4. Leigh Adams - 22
5. Daniel Wells - 25
6. Michael Firrito - 26
7. Nathan Grima - 24
8. Levi Greenwood - 23
9. Todd Goldstein - 22
10. Ryan Bastinac - 19

We compare very favorably to Melbourne on the age factor.

Strangely, many pundits favor Melbourne over North in their 2011 top 8 predictions because North supposedly rely too heavily on the old blokes.:confused:

8th is between North, carlton & Demons. I've gone the Dees because they have an easier draw and are quicker then both North & carlton. With zones becoming the norm, you need to be able to spread well and quickly. North have a really tough fixture and if they make the 8 that is a tremendous effort. Between carlton & Demons but Dees are a bit quicker and have a better backline.

In no particular order:

Pies - MMs last year. He'll keep them focused
Freo - Some really talented kids to go witht he best ruck and one of the best KF in the game
St.Kilda - Still have a strong gameplan
Dogs - Cooney, Higgins, Griffen, Ward all missed chunks of the season or carried injuries at important times. Still top 4 material
Hawthorn - Cyril, Hodge & Franklin make them dangerous but lack of depth makes them inconsistent
Cats - Want drop that far
Swans - Some good young kids but will need Goodes & Bradshaw in form to push for top 4.
Demons - as above. Very talented list on the rise.

Crows I expect to bounce back, but not sure if they can make the 8

I'm gonna stick up for my team a little here. People suggesting Port to rebuild, well it has already started.

Suprisingly our team is getting closer to the games played to make finals, we are probably light on for depth however. Boak, Salopek, Gray, Rodan, Pearce, M Thomas, M Broadbent should be at their peak or just striking. Throw in hamish hartlett if he can stay injury free with support from Kane and Dom the midfield is getting there. The problem for us is 3 of those key players are severely injury prone.

The backline of Chappy, Bobby, P Stewart, J Surjan are also hitting the games played, with the man who doesn't need experience requirements to threaten all and sundry J Trengove, not sure who our 6th back will be yet, perhaps A Moore or Chad, supposedly his pre season work is inspring.

Up forward Schulz played well after being de Richmondised, Westhoff, Ebert all have the experience, D Stewart, Butcher and Hitchcock are light on for games. But the necleus is there to winning 8-12 games depending on injuries IMO

Lol. Poster puts own team in top 8 and apparently this makes him 'biased'. Give it a rest. Everyone knows Melbourne are coming, unlike Carlton who are shooting blanks.

I wonder, do you hear that alot in another context? :cool:

west coast
essendon
brisbane
port adelaide
adelaide
gold coast
north melbourne
melbourne

/Agrees :thumbsu:

Wait...what? :D

1)Collingwood
2)Fremantle
3)St Kilda
4)Hawthorn
5)Geelong
6)Adelaide
7)Bulldogs
8)Sydney
---------
9)Melbourne
10)Carlton
11)North Melbourne
12)Port Adelaide
13)Richmond
14)Essendon
15)Brisbane
16)Gold Coast
17)West Coast

17. West Coast - No upside. Good players too old, kids not up to it. Sad end to a good coaching stint for Worsfold.

****ing lol. Ridiculous reasoning.

Which of our good players are old?

Actually. Which of our old players are good? Priddis? Lol.

You're in for a shock next year when Shuey, Selwood, Sheppard, Masten and Swift start to break out.

Brad Green had his first really good season as a forward and he's 30. He'll be retired soon ;)
I'll take Reiwoldt and Morton thanks :cool:
Griffiths and Post have shown something, just like Watts has played 3 good games :)
Taylor could be a gem for all you know and Kingy is pretty decent as a forward. Miller will be on the rookie list and may not get a game if Griffiths and Post are fit. He'll have to rely on a season ending injury to have a chance of being elevated

Kingy is a pretty decent midget and that is about all. The fact that he is in your best 22 says bucket loads about your list.

How many other teams would have the midget starting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

****ing lol. Ridiculous reasoning.

Which of our good players are old?

Actually. Which of our old players are good? Priddis? Lol.

You're in for a shock next year when Shuey, Selwood, Sheppard, Masten and Swift start to break out.

so are you if you really think the weagles won't get the spoon in 2011.

--------------------Certainties--------------------------------
1. Collingwood (Should remain the best team in the AFL comfortably)
2. St. Kilda (Last 2GF, sould get to a 3rd, but hopefully not)
3. Western Bulldogs (could finish between 3-6, put them at 3 cause i can)
4. Hawthorn (With a fully fit team, should really start to become the team we are expecting
5. Geelong (loss of Ablett and Thompson will hurt, but still are capable of being the best)
6. Fremantle (Sandilands and Pav + good young kids, can see them climbing high in the next few years)
--------------------Capable-----------------------------------
7. Carlton (Amazing midfield, lots of talent but still ???)
8. Melbourne (good young list continually improving)
9. Sydney (With Goodes anything is a possiblity)
10. Adelaide (Lots of experience gone, will through up surprises)
11. North (good list, not great, not yet anyway)
--------------------Unlikely------------------------------------
12. Port Adelaide ( On the Slide)
13. Essendon (Young side on the rise, will take a bit more time with Hird)
14. Brisbane (Mass exodus, something is rotten, but Brown is still worth the price of addmission)
--------------------No Chance---------------------------------
15. West Coast ( ? in a lot of places, esp fitness and age of there best, more time given to youngsters)
16. Gold Coast (New team, tough year)
17. Richmond (Reiwoldt and Deledio and who else?)

I started to think I should post some reply to so many people not having Carlton in the top 8 when there is no real reason we will be worse next year.

Then I realised, it doesn't matter, nobody had us in finals for 2010 and we made it, very few had us for 2009. People call us overrated but are clearly underrating us in the process, because our results are outstripping their expectations.

I started to think I should post some reply to so many people not having Carlton in the top 8 when there is no real reason we will be worse next year.

Then I realised, it doesn't matter, nobody had us in finals for 2010 and we made it, very few had us for 2009. People call us overrated but are clearly underrating us in the process, because our results are outstripping their expectations.

Too true.

We won't kick enough goals next year anyway because let's not forget we lost our 1 man-forward line at the end of 09.

The Collingwood team of 2010 was better than the Hawthorn team of 2008, and the Hawks lost key premiership players that they still have been unable to replace.

Collingwood ... should be even stronger next season ... and I don't expect Collingwood to rest on their achievement as the Hawthorn players and coaches did in 2009.

Fair point on the Hawks losing players in 2009. They also had a string of injuries and a Premiership hangover that were probably more important. You can not discount the possibility of that happening. Are your players out partying hard?

The number of people predicting a second flag to Collingwood seems a bit odd when consecutive flags are relatively rare.

Carlton overrated? Are you serious? at least half the people i know and people on this thread think that carlton will miss the 8, don't think that makes us overrated. Just like last year barely anyone tipped us for the 8 after Fev left and we did. Next year i can see no reason why we would get worse.

I put the Gold Coast in the top eight to contradict all those putting them in the bottom 5. Your team drops by one spot from 2010 which is kind compared to the predictions of most on here for the Swans. Your team has lots of top picks but the team is still very dependent on Judd. If they step up next year, you'll go up the ladder. Ryan O'Keefe had a groin injury this year that made him play almost as bad as Judd in his last year with Eagles. If Judd goes down with an injury in 2011, where will Carlton be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back