2011 Under 19's Division 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The 3 division set up looks great in theory but clubs will struggle to run teams in different locations, freedometospeak says it would be no big deal, but running U19s away from the rest of the club presents a whole list of extra dramas that some clubs will battle with, most clubs have limited helpers so they would have to split trainers, water boys, team managers etc over 2 locations.
in my opinion the NFL has made a huge mistake letting the tigers and doggies drop there teams down, this will open the door for any team wanting to go up or down during the season to get there way, the u19's more than any team can improve or drop off season to season as each batch of new kids come through and the older guys move on, so setting the divisions would be a nightmare and even more teams would want to change half way through the season.
The NFL have set the precedent now they have to live with the consequences. not sure what they will say if someome like Thommo comes to them and says that they want there reserves to drop down to divvy 3 as they are are getting beaten each week and there guys are losing interest. (not having a go at Thommo just had to use someone).

Ammos have run their U/19s seamlessly for years based on a combination of geography (north/south) and ability (Premier/Div1/Div2). They also usually play at the same time as the Seniors (2pm) and don't appear to have any problem with ground set ups and support staff when they play away from home, often as the only game at that particular venue. Also worth noting that they are also going through a mid season revision to even up the respective divisions.

The Horse's analysis has merit - we just need clubs to to move on from parochial arguments and embrace the bigger picture re player development/retention, particularly at the U/19 level - oh and the NFL has to become a little more proactive/forward thinking and not wait for clubs to take the initiative.

Divison 2 is a joke. Lower Plenty is that far and away better than any other side its ridiculous, they should be given the chance to play division 1 footy. The fact that they beat reservoir WHO SIT 5th, god knows how by 100 odd points to 0 .. They beat thomastown in round 1 by 6 goals with a half strength side. They have the flag wrapt up. I just hope my side can scrape into the top 6 and maybe win a final cos thats all us other sides can hope for

They definitely need a div 3 in the U19s. But it must also be understood that 3 divisions as a permanent setting is far too uncertain in the U19s as a whole team could possibly move on within 8 months. There may very well be 3 divisions one year and then 1 division the next (not that i think this will happen - just a hypothetical).

However having said that, as it stands, there should be 3 divisions in the U19s. The divs are just far too uneven at the moment IMHO. I largely agree with your ideas above, however there is absolutely NO way I agree with having 6 teams in one division (div 3) as this means a top 4 finals series would result in just 2 teams missing out on finals. Which means, for division 3, two of the bottom four teams in the WHOLE NFL U19s are making a finals appearance. With such lack of talent you may as well just have a top 2, which simply isn't plausible.

What the NFL really need to start implementing is:
1) U19 teams are no longer attached to their senior side(s) i.e. Montmorency doesn't have to be in division 1 because their seniors are.
2) Rounds 1-4 should be grading games
3) There should be 3 divisions of 7 teams with a final 4 finals series
4) Only umpires who are 18 years and older can umpire U19s games (I understand that this is easier said than done)

Then watch the quality of the U19s go up ten-folds.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the top 2 sides from both div 1 & 2 playing in a pre-season 2-week comp. Would go like so:
Round 1:
Game 1: 1st in Div 1 vs. 1st in Div 2
Game 2: 2nd in Div 1 vs. 2nd in Div 2
Round 2:
Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 2
Bit of an interesting concept which I think would be interesting to trial for a year or two.

Would also like to add that the NFL should really pursue their abandoned concept from about 2-3 years ago of playing all U19s games on a Friday night. would be something that no other leagues offers and would also generate some extra profits for each club. But, of course, the NFL just don't care.

But, of course, the NFL just don't care.

On what basis are you coming to that conclusion? Have they (NFL) expressed a 100% no to that idea to you? Did you Club actually ask the NFL for that option again, I know Clubs ask for some changes (Late 19s on a Sat, Sunday games etc)

You may like Fri nights and I remember them used a few years ago and personally did not mind them (they where cold though) but as a lot of people have stated on here this does involve a lot more volunteers.

Would also like to add that the NFL should really pursue their abandoned concept from about 2-3 years ago of playing all U19s games on a Friday night. would be something that no other leagues offers and would also generate some extra profits for each club. But, of course, the NFL just don't care.

Growing up, I would always stay after training to watch the 19s playing on a Friday night and when I found out they don't do it anymore, I was quite shattered. Really would love to experience a Friday night game.

I think you will find it was not the NFL who put a stop to the Friday night games but the local councils due to the lights not being upto par.

The posts above sound good in theory but the practicality of it all would never work. Clubs have limited volunteers who are already overworked and it would be very unfair to put that sort of extra load on to them.

I think you will find it was not the NFL who put a stop to the Friday night games but the local councils due to the lights not being upto par.

The posts above sound good in theory but the practicality of it all would never work. Clubs have limited volunteers who are already overworked and it would be very unfair to put that sort of extra load on to them.

Spot on, the councils have put a stop to it due to new lighting requirements, the requirements have been changed several times, we did up the lights at DeWinton to meet the standards about 6 years ago only to have the council requirements to change again.

Ammos have run their U/19s seamlessly for years based on a combination of geography (north/south) and ability (Premier/Div1/Div2). They also usually play at the same time as the Seniors (2pm) and don't appear to have any problem with ground set ups and support staff when they play away from home, often as the only game at that particular venue. Also worth noting that they are also going through a mid season revision to even up the respective divisions.

The Horse's analysis has merit - we just need clubs to to move on from parochial arguments and embrace the bigger picture re player development/retention, particularly at the U/19 level - oh and the NFL has to become a little more proactive/forward thinking and not wait for clubs to take the initiative.

Worst idea ever having the thirds follow the ammo`s and play at the same time as the 1`s! Alienates them from the rest of the club! Could never understand why the ammo`s do this. We try to encourage the senior players and the club as a whole to support the future stars of the club, and in return the thirds are big supporters of the 1`s and 2`s, which would be impossible under the ammo`s system!

Worst idea ever having the thirds follow the ammo`s and play at the same time as the 1`s!!
Perhaps not clearly articulated by me Brutus - not advocating the U/19s playing away from the senior group (unless unavoidable). Merely noting the Amateur multi divisional structure has operated successfully over time (promotion/relegation and now mid season re-grading). With a few tweaks shouldn't be too hard to modify for NFL requirements.

Say again the overall aim is providing incentive by being competitive and thus retaining players - worth noting that without the introduction of 3rd Division in the Seniors, clubs such as Heid West, Reservoir may not exist.

I know that it was the council's decision to pull the pin on Friday night games, due to the standard of the lighting and insurance purposes and blah blah blah. BUT I think it's represented a valuable opportunity for the NFL to do something about it. While I very well know that it just not feasible for the NFL to personally fund for all U19 teams to upgrade their lights, they could very well work towards grants, assistance funding, rebates, etc. for the footy clubs upgrading their lights. Friday night footy is, IMO, what most clubs want ATM for the U19s. Whilst it does mean more volunteers, it does PROMISE more profits (from a healthy and strong history). The NFL should really be making this one of their primary goals ATM and make U19s footy a really spectacle. But, from the outside looking in, it seems to have almost fallen to the bottom of the pile.

On what basis are you coming to that conclusion? Have they (NFL) expressed a 100% no to that idea to you? Did you Club actually ask the NFL for that option again, I know Clubs ask for some changes (Late 19s on a Sat, Sunday games etc)

You may like Fri nights and I remember them used a few years ago and personally did not mind them (they where cold though) but as a lot of people have stated on here this does involve a lot more volunteers.

I am basing it on perception, TBCH. While, of course, this is not the strongest basis to be making any sort of claims, perception is everything to an organisation. It is my perception (and may others I've spoken to) that the NFL are completely careless with everything they do/ take in to consideration.

Yes, I'll admit, the NFL responds well when it comes to, say, changing the venue of a game, or the time of a game, etc, etc. But i feel they do NOT respond well to less immediate calls from their fans and members (i.e. put U19s back on friday nights - just one example). Instead of actually LISTENING and CARING about these sometimes unanimous thoughts/ calls, they get on their 'high horse' and do whatever they want with the attitude of 'if it isn't broken, why fix it?'. What the NFL need to wake up to is the fact that there are many things broken in the league ATM, their relationship with their fans and clubs being one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am basing it on perception, TBCH. While, of course, this is not the strongest basis to be making any sort of claims, perception is everything to an organisation. It is my perception (and may others I've spoken to) that the NFL are completely careless with everything they do/ take in to consideration.

Yes, I'll admit, the NFL responds well when it comes to, say, changing the venue of a game, or the time of a game, etc, etc. But i feel they do NOT respond well to less immediate calls from their fans and members (i.e. put U19s back on friday nights - just one example). Instead of actually LISTENING and CARING about these sometimes unanimous thoughts/ calls, they get on their 'high horse' and do whatever they want with the attitude of 'if it isn't broken, why fix it?'. What the NFL need to wake up to is the fact that there are many things broken in the league ATM, their relationship with their fans and clubs being one of them.

Hey Reggie, maybe your comments have been/were taken into account and that maybe that's why there has been/was a change in the office personnel. Expect the incoming boss to be a lot more receptive and proactive to situations and 'growing the league'.

Hey Reggie, maybe your comments have been/were taken into account and that maybe that's why there has been/was a change in the office personnel. Expect the incoming boss to be a lot more receptive and proactive to situations and 'growing the league'.

Yeah I saw on the website the other day that there's a new CEO and I really do hope that he can come in and do as you said.

all im saying boys, is that reservior will win at least 10 games this year! all u blokes said we were no good but things change in football. mernda made a prelim last year and this year carnt kicked more than 4 goals a match! thomo were no good last year and now thier the best team in it!

Rezza is a decent side but need to work on lot of their skills. We are a new team that is still learning about each other.

Played in my biggest lost of my career yesterday, it was very shattering to have sat out the last 2 quarters with a concussion and a black eye.

Don't suppose you were at/ played in the game? From the score line it seemed like it was a cracking match?[/QUOTE

Bit to old to play but I have a bit to do with the u/19's at Thomastown. We had our chances in the last quarter but couln't put them away. Lower Plenty are a well drilled unit. Great game of footy.

Thommo got up in a slow starting game today. struggling early with accuracy in front of goals. started to get there shit together in the 2nd half and won out easy winners over a very unfit and undisciplined Mernda side.

Thommo got up in a slow starting game today. struggling early with accuracy in front of goals. started to get there shit together in the 2nd half and won out easy winners over a very unfit and undisciplined Mernda side.

How's the side looking DT? Many injuries?

It's just about 100% that it'll be a Thomo v Lower GF so do you think you can match them come finals time?

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Under 19's Division 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back