BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

I was under the impression McDonald can't be taken this year?

Correct. Minidraft eligable technically but draft eligable in 2013 so another year to wait.

If future F/S selections could come into it I might have taken Darcy Moore but like with McDonald for North Melbourne too young.

Correct. Minidraft eligable technically but draft eligable in 2013 so another year to wait.

If future F/S selections could come into it I might have taken Darcy Moore but like with McDonald for North Melbourne too young.

Knighta that's a tad melodramatic. Moore is 15/16! If you read your notes it said players that could be taken as F.S this year (and McDonald can) were eligible. Its a quirk in this years draft and last bc of the GWS entitlement to the 17yo's. Thats why McDonald is eligible this year as a F.S (Fact). But as I said it doesnt appear to have been understood and clearly if it was people would have taken him earlier. I will change it so lets move on.

Knighta that's a tad melodramatic. Moore is 15/16! If you read your notes it said players that could be taken as F.S this year (and McDonald can) were eligible. Its a quirk in this years draft and last bc of the GWS entitlement to the 17yo's. Thats why McDonald is eligible this year as a F.S (Fact). But as I said it doesnt appear to have been understood and clearly if it was people would have taken him earlier. I will change it so lets move on.
He isn't available as a FS this year. Only the minidraft. 2 different things with different eligibility criteria.

Aren't you supposed to be the draft guru around here? A real wtf moment here folks.

He isn't available as a FS this year. Only the minidraft. 2 different things with different eligibility criteria.

Aren't you supposed to be the draft guru around here? A real wtf moment here folks.

There is no supposin about it. Snoop is the man just and is just having a bit of fun with it. No need to get sand in your vajayjay

chill brother. with respect he is eligible this year bc north can commit to him as Melb did with Jack Viney. Yes he goes in '13 but they can commit to him and as I already I was being a bit cute so will change it.

Can we now move on?

ROUND 5
# 80 GWS Oliver Johnson
# 81 Gold Coast Clay Cameron
# 82 Melbourne Brian Coleman-Broome
# 83 Bulldogs PASS
# 84 Port Adelaide Kyle Martin
# 85 Brisbane Andrew Stokes
# 86 Richmond Jackson Coleman
# 87 Carlton Josh Scott
# 88 St Kilda PASS
# 89 Fremantle Cameron Wohling
# 90 North Melbourne Clancie Wheeler
# 91 Geelong Tom Tyquin
# 92 Essendon Matthew Dick
# 93 West Coast PASS
# 94 Collingwood Darcy Fort
# 95 Hawthorn - PASS
# 96 Adelaide - Paul Marshall
# 97 Sydney - Lachie Hunter

If it came about that Carlton had 6 or picks, something I think is very unlikely, Carlton would probably leave a spot or 2 available to pick up Adrian Marcon and / or Kane Lambert. Carlton often does that and has a high probability of drafting kids it does invite down. Some, like Nick Heyne, don't work out. Others do.
Lambert and Marcon have been the standouts at the Northern Blues this year. As to whether the Blues would use ND picks on them would depend on how much interest there was in them from other clubs. I am aware that at least 1 other club has Marcon marked down, as that was seen at yesterday's VFL game.

Pick 81: Clay Cameron
Height: 192cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 27/05/1994
Club: Mt Gravatt (Qld)

Clay Cameron represents excellent value at this stage, he was my first choice pick for my fourth round pick, and am stoked and surprised he lasted this long. I rate him as a second round pick this year on talent, and think he could be an excellent AFL player. He plays predominantly as a KPF, but is also quite capable of playing as a CHB and have seen him play some solid games in that role. I hear that he has now grown to 192cm, am not entirely sure if this is 100% true, but I would like to see him add a couple more cm then he would be the perfect height. At the moment I liken him to Jack Darling of West Coast, but slightly more athletic, and obviously not as well performed at Junior level. I could see him becoming either a very good CHF/ third tall, and he is one player who I think has the potential to become a very good player which is what you want at this stage. He is zoned to Gold Coast at this stage, but I am unsure if they will take him it is probably 50/50 but he could be traded away (Brisbane hopefully).

He has had quite an average year, his U18 Champs were disappointing and he didn’t kick many goals, and had only one decent game at CHB against Tassie I think it was. But coming into this year he had struggled throughout 2011 with OP and this didn’t help so it is somewhat understandable his indifferent form.

The thing that stands out about Cameron is his marking ability he has excellent hands, judges the ball well and really jumps and takes his marks well in front of his face and overhead. He is a good lead up player, he has very good pace and creates separation easily, he also can take marks one on one and has a very, very strong body. He also has an elite vertical leap and when he jumps at the ball he is hard to spoil, this helps him to play a bit taller than he actually is, which means he could play KP at AFL level IMO. Athletically Clay is very good, he comes from an athletics background, and performed at a high level in high jump, discuss and shot put I think as a junior and also did well in running so he should have no issues with this at AFL level.

Skills wise Cameron looks to have a good strong kick, he can roost the ball a fair distance, has a good set shot routine and can kick goals from limited opportunities. He looks to make good decisions, although this is a part of his game that could improve a little, but just nit-picking really. He has clean hands, rarely fumbles and when he gets the ball he generally uses it well. I think he could look to get himself more involved a little, work up the ground more, but he lacks a bit of fitness atm after OP so this is not a surprise, but once he works higher up the ground he will really start to influence the game more. I think he could take a couple of years to develop, needs to put on a few kilos and improve his fitness as well as game sense a little bit, but once he does he could be anything. I think he has the potential to become a top line CHF and is a real steal here.

Writeups (hah, i'm looking pretty clever after this week's TAC games, since one of my late picks kicked 5, and another kicked 4 and snagged a BoG! ;)

64: Nic Graham

Another pure footballer. 180cm midfielder, solid build, bores in hard and shows the way with desperation and attack on the ball. Decision making skills a strong point - very rarely does dumb things. Disposal solid by foot or by hand, but his selection of options makes it look damn good. Can play on the hbf as well, and he's a good option to set up, but I like him in the guys more where his slight one-pacedness is less likely to be explosed by having to run around chasing Harley Bennell's tail or something similar. Tackles ferociously, can kick a goal. Will not go this late in the real thing. Think Luke Parker.

82: Brian Coleman Broom

Express-pace forward line livewire from Qld. Possible eligible for some sort of wanky GC zone selection, but I don't really care about that stuff for the trial, so I'm picking him here. Taller than your stereotypical indigenous lightning bolt, I think he's 187 or 188cm - skinny, but I think he'd be able to fill out enough. Not consistent and I don't think he has much of a tank, but is capable of turning it on in breathtaking bursts. Made the NT side look genuinely slow at the champs, and that's not easy to do - he's seriously one of the quickest junior players i've ever seen. Nose for a goal, able to take the ball (or keep it in front of himself) even at full pace and swerving. Very very hard to lay a hand on. Handy enough skill-wise, but he's an instinctive player rather than a disciplined machine man at this point, and he'd need to adjust to the AFL style of playing footy. Immense upside though.

100: Spencer White

Another upside pick. Solidly built and agile 195cm power kpf, mobile around the ground, aggressive, can take a big mark and kick goals. Has I think four five-goal bags under his belt at TAC level this year, which is pretty respectable (even though I seem to recall two of them were against Eastern...). Noticed him as an underager last year, was a big fan of the way he kept his feet in the marking contest, then was able to keep going, crumb his own ball and wheel around - almost Buddy-like. Question mark with Spencer is his attitude - his best is exceptional but he's also capable of some of the laziest efforts you could ever hope to avoid seeing on a footy field. When he's having a down game he's absolutely invisible - won't contest, present, or tackle, and you only notice him when he gets frustrated and gives away dumb frees. Would depend on how he interviews etc and how the rest of his season pans out, but worth a shot.

118: Sam Critchley

Similar size and shape to White but almost the exact opposite in play style. Dogged, gut running kpp perhaps a shade lacking in brilliance but who'll work all day long and give his all. Mostly seen him played at CHB, where he ranges wide to give an option and positions himself well to meet the ball coming in. Solid overhead, uses it with discipline and respects his own limitations.

Writeups (hah, i'm looking pretty clever after this week's TAC games, since one of my late picks kicked 5, and another kicked 4 and snagged a BoG! ;)

64: Nic Graham

Another pure footballer. 180cm midfielder, solid build, bores in hard and shows the way with desperation and attack on the ball. Decision making skills a strong point - very rarely does dumb things. Disposal solid by foot or by hand, but his selection of options makes it look damn good. Can play on the hbf as well, and he's a good option to set up, but I like him in the guys more where his slight one-pacedness is less likely to be explosed by having to run around chasing Harley Bennell's tail or something similar. Tackles ferociously, can kick a goal. Will not go this late in the real thing. Think Luke Parker.

82: Brian Coleman Broom

Express-pace forward line livewire from Qld. Possible eligible for some sort of wanky GC zone selection, but I don't really care about that stuff for the trial, so I'm picking him here. Taller than your stereotypical indigenous lightning bolt, I think he's 187 or 188cm - skinny, but I think he'd be able to fill out enough. Not consistent and I don't think he has much of a tank, but is capable of turning it on in breathtaking bursts. Made the NT side look genuinely slow at the champs, and that's not easy to do - he's seriously one of the quickest junior players i've ever seen. Nose for a goal, able to take the ball (or keep it in front of himself) even at full pace and swerving. Very very hard to lay a hand on. Handy enough skill-wise, but he's an instinctive player rather than a disciplined machine man at this point, and he'd need to adjust to the AFL style of playing footy. Immense upside though.

100: Spencer White

Another upside pick. Solidly built and agile 195cm power kpf, mobile around the ground, aggressive, can take a big mark and kick goals. Has I think four five-goal bags under his belt at TAC level this year, which is pretty respectable (even though I seem to recall two of them were against Eastern...). Noticed him as an underager last year, was a big fan of the way he kept his feet in the marking contest, then was able to keep going, crumb his own ball and wheel around - almost Buddy-like. Question mark with Spencer is his attitude - his best is exceptional but he's also capable of some of the laziest efforts you could ever hope to avoid seeing on a footy field. When he's having a down game he's absolutely invisible - won't contest, present, or tackle, and you only notice him when he gets frustrated and gives away dumb frees. Would depend on how he interviews etc and how the rest of his season pans out, but worth a shot.

118: Sam Critchley

Similar size and shape to White but almost the exact opposite in play style. Dogged, gut running kpp perhaps a shade lacking in brilliance but who'll work all day long and give his all. Mostly seen him played at CHB, where he ranges wide to give an option and positions himself well to meet the ball coming in. Solid overhead, uses it with discipline and respects his own limitations.

I like all of these late picks a lot. The only one I am still a bit of a ? on is White. I know people rate him but when I have seen him i just haven't seen it. Just seems gulf between best and worst is big.

Critchley is one I don't think many people have taken notice of yet but come draft day he will be talked about a lot more. He is going really well at the moment and BCB just has some tricks that will excite drafters. Nic Graham is one of our local boys and just a class act. Reads game well, tough and makes good calls with the ball. High hopes for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a smokie for sure would have to be Daniel Bartlett from Perth aswell

He's next year isn't he?

Clever goal kicking winger/half forward. Pretty slight build and his right foot is seemingly only there for balance, but theres plenty there for clubs to be interested considering he has another year of colts footy left. Is up there in theleading goalkickers for the season too.

Pick 87: Carlton
Josh Scott
DoB: 8th March 1994
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 76 kg
Club: Gippsland Power / Lakes Entrance
Scott is a forward with more than a little X – factor. He is known for his tendency to fly for speckies. At 190 cm he isn’t that tallest, but he moves well, he usually kicks straight and he does something few Blues can manage at the moment: he takes contested marks. He attacks the ball pretty well and is highly motivated. He drives a long way each week to play and train and just lives footy.
At this point I don’t think he gets enough of the ball, but forward don’t usually rack up the numbers midfielders do.
I don’t think he’ll be a key forward at AFL level: 190 cm just isn’t quite tall enough these days. However, he does have enough pace to fill in the 3rd forward role quite nicely. He could fill the role Andrew Walker did in 2011, as he does take the big marks.
At this point he body is relatively undeveloped. I reckon it will take 2 preseasons before we see him at his best. He needs that time to put on the muscle he will require for his role.

Pick 51: Carlton
Jackson Thurlow
Height: 189 cm

Weight: 79 kg
DOB: 28/03/1994
Club: Launceston

Thurlow is an exciting prospect. He reads the play very well and is known for his rebounding and interceptions. Thurlow is not the tightest defender going around, although he concentrate on a man pretty well when he must. His typical play is to run off his man and be the 3rd option in a contest or intercept a forward move with his strong marking. He runs hard and can get on the end of play and even kicks goals from defence. His kicking is solid on both sides, but by no means elite and he does have quick hands in close.
He looks to be another half back flanker, but I expect him to play further up the ground. He has played in the midfield and on the wing. LemmingMaster described him as a midfielder hiding in defence: he could well play a similar role to that of Tom Bell. Just not yet. Unlike Bell, Thurlow doesn’t have the physique to handle that role yet.
The other thing of interest (to me, anyway) is how he goes in the speed tests at the Draft Camp. He runs pretty well but I’d like to have a decent measure of EXACTLY how fast he can go when he has to.

Pick 10: Carlton
Lachlan Plowman
Height: 191 cm,

Weight: 86 kg,
Club: Calder Cannons

Does Carlton need another key defender? Good question, with McInnes and Watson now showing considerably more than what they did earlier in the season. However, with Henderson and Jamison being injury prone, another option could be very useful.
Plowman is one of the best defensive options in this cohort. He takes a very good mark and is attacking from even FB. He reads the play very well, has excellent composure and excellent skills on both sides of his body. He has good agility and is known for his ability to take on a man and not get caught. In that respect he is more like a midfielder.
His marking and reading of the play is good enough that he could go forward and his kicking good enough that he could kick a goal or three, but at this point I’ve only ever seen him play in defence.
Taking on a big bodied forward would not be his strength at the moment: he’d probably need 2 preseasons to put on enough muscle to make that reasonable, but he has a lot more pace than Matty Watson.

beowulf, hopefully you have no computer issues at the real draft so you can make your own selections.

I was aiming for someone other than Plowman at Carlton's first pick, but all my preferred options dropped off the list. It was almost a case of pick the best option.

Plowman is a LOT different to the likes of McInnes and Watson, he will play the more Mackie styled defender. Could be a great replacement for Duigan in years to come. If in the real draft, if one of the more highly fancied inside midfielders or quick outside runners is around, I think Carlton may head in that direction.

beowulf, hopefully you have no computer issues at the real draft so you can make your own selections.

I was aiming for someone other than Plowman at Carlton's first pick, but all my preferred options dropped off the list. It was almost a case of pick the best option.

Plowman is a LOT different to the likes of McInnes and Watson, he will play the more Mackie styled defender. Could be a great replacement for Duigan in years to come. If in the real draft, if one of the more highly fancied inside midfielders or quick outside runners is around, I think Carlton may head in that direction.

When you took Plowman didn't you chicken out of taking someone else? Keen to know who it was?

I should be right, unless Telstar throw me something else weird.
I can also understand your frustration: I noticed my favourite players dropping like flies more than once over the last couple of mock drafts: usually just before I can grab them.:p Hopefully I can get in first come the real thing.
I can pass on some very favourable responses from some people who are a lot closer to SR and WH than I probably ever will be. It makes me wonder if we are looking that way again.

Pick 51: Carlton
Jackson Thurlow
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 79 kg
DOB: 28/03/1994
Club: Launceston

Thurlow is an exciting prospect. He reads the play very well and is known for his rebounding and interceptions. Thurlow is not the tightest defender going around, although he concentrate on a man pretty well when he must. His typical play is to run off his man and be the 3rd option in a contest or intercept a forward move with his strong marking. He runs hard and can get on the end of play and even kicks goals from defence. His kicking is solid on both sides, but by no means elite and he does have quick hands in close.
He looks to be another half back flanker, but I expect him to play further up the ground. He has played in the midfield and on the wing. LemmingMaster described him as a midfielder hiding in defence: he could well play a similar role to that of Tom Bell. Just not yet. Unlike Bell, Thurlow doesn’t have the physique to handle that role yet.
The other thing of interest (to me, anyway) is how he goes in the speed tests at the Draft Camp. He runs pretty well but I’d like to have a decent measure of EXACTLY how fast he can go when he has to.
Interesting on Thurlow, as we know tassie played him as a defender in the carnivals where he did well BUT it sounds like he is a true all round utility type. I have an uncle that follows his club side Launceston in the Tasmanian State league who says he can play HF and midfield as well. He has been dominating in the midfield with Launceston since returning form carnival - has been getting consistent high 20's over last 5 weeks and kicked 3 goals in 2 of last 3 games from midfield. Apparently last year as a 1st year player played in Launceston state league premiership side as a goal kicking HF and was in best in prelim and GF.

First Round of the draft will definitely include:

Daniel Giannini (180 cm,relatively unknown, but big bodied midfielder with elite ball winning skills. Missed a lot of footy this year but if taken, would be a steal. rumors of interest from Port Melbourne, and if not taken this year will definitely play VFL in 2013)

Chris Keenan (180 cm also, overlooked at Calder due to attitude problem, but silky smooth skilled outside mid with pace to burn. can change a game when on song, and has been nicknamed 'magnet' due to his 34 disposal average at senior level!)

Apologies for the delay in my write-ups but here goes the remainder.

#41 Matthew Wallis

A quality young tall from Norwood, was very good for SA in the recent Under 18 Championships at full back. Particularly strong 1 on 1 and spoils well, and can run off but not known for huge possession games. He is also versatile and not limited to Full Back, he can play CHF or FF and kick bags of goals from time to time with good contested marking.

The crows will need a key defender or two, especially with the losses of Bock, Davis and soon Rutten and Wallis would be a good get here at 41. Quality young key defenders are hard to find and will take some time and patience and Wallis would probably need 2-3 years to develop properly in the SANFL before being exposed to AFL footy but I am confident he will make a solid AFL player in time.

#60 Jarrad Lienert

I'm not sure how other people feel about this bloke but if he went this low in the real thing, I'd be doing a song and dance. I think he has potential to go top 20, he's got a lot of AFL attributes.

Didn't play a huge amount at the champs but I saw him against the NT and was very impressed. Has continued his form with some solid games for Sturt Under 18's. Can play back or forward, flank or key position. Probably better suited to a flank in the long term but will have a good sized body. Great overhead mark and interceptor. Cuts off a lot of attacks and can set up new ones swiftly without having to think much, he just knows. Unsure on his engine but he can find a fair bit of the pill for a big bloke so may translate into a Gilbert/Mackie/McPhee type at AFL level, the consumate utility perhaps.

I like him in defence over attack but has kicked a couple of 5 goal hauls whilst playing forward this year. Once he builds his body he could become quite a machine of a footballer and a real bolter. Dark horse and one to watch to see how much potential gets realised.

#78 Jack Hannath

A couple of years older than the current crop but ruckman do take time to come on and that's ok. Has been learning his craft at Central District, firstly with some prominent reserves performances but has quickly established himself in 2012 in the league side as the #1 ruck ahead of Sutherland who has been injured and down on form.

Jack reminds me of a young Primus, very similar kicking style and ruckwork in general. Not your usual handball off to a midfielder ruck, he prefers to kick and get involved in the field play and is a very strong mark and is a threat resting forward. His frame is still filling out and in 2-3 years time he will be quite mature and strong and ready to make a big impact at AFL level. He is fast becoming too good for the SANFL and probably will be the best SANFL ruck next year at the rate he is going. Taps fairly well to his midfielders and has good skills, defensive efforts are also competent for a big man. Would make a very handy pair with Sam Jacobs at the crows for pick 78, that is another bargain.

#96 Paul Marschall

Now for someone to add some real skill to the side and Marschall has it in spades. Just his first full SANFL year and is quickly becoming one of the best players at Central District. The club will not be happy to lose him, he is like O'Hara before him but a better footballer, stronger body and more AFL suited. Has a beautiful kick, penetrating and long and mostly accurate. It at times can be his downfall as he much prefers to kick than handball and gets excited with the odd schank. But that aside wins his fair share of contested footy, and constantly rebounds with aggression. Big fan, arguably my fav non-rookie and is ready-made for AFL now.

#114 Mason Middleton

Could be a bargain get? hard to say, he is quite inconsistent but does impress when on song. Young key forward who is a powerful overhead mark and will take contested marks. Not seen a huge amount of the kid but comes from the country with big wraps. Early days yet but is tall around 197cm with a lot of development ahead of him. May explode in the right environment and develop in a genuine AFL key forward.

#132 Luke Habel

I just flicked a list to snoop for these last picks and he was on the list. Not sure how AFL ready he is but is a goer, mature age and yet another Central District player. Has been in and out of the league side due to the depth but is far too strong for SANFL reserves. Starting to play some really good footy in 2012, as an attacking goalkicking midfielder/wingman. Neat skills and a good finisher.

Watched Marshall vs Wests and have to say was very good. He is AFL capable for sure. For a club that needs a running back with great foot skills either side you would have to think he or Motlop would be the two standout state league players along with Hams.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back