VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gwilt has 8 touches, Winmar 7 and a number of players with 6

Worst quarter of footy by the Zebs this year by a long margin.

3.10 (28) to 8.7 (55) at half time.

Took us 15 minutes that quarter to kick our first of the match (Hallahan from 55 on the boundary after missing the lot from 35m directly in front 5 minutes earlier).

A minute later Ledger left it behind after trying to bounce, but Sippa pounced and banged it through from outside 50.

Gram's kicking has been excellent, and he kicked a goal from 40m on an angle after a nice baulk. Nearly got another from 50m towards the end of the quarter after taking on a couple. Several good passes in general play when others couldn't hit the side of a barn.

The kicking into F50 hasn't been precise, and Wilkes has been forced to compete against a couple of opponents too many times.

They threw Archer (who's still struggling) in the ruck to no effect. No idea why they don't persist with him in the backline.

Siposs had a few good plays, including some strong body work in contests early in the quarter, although kicked one out on the full. Had a shot after the siren from 60m - kicked it well but the breeze dragged it across for a point.

Shenton has presented well in the air, but again his kicking is letting him down.

Ray alot quieter, but a few more possies.

Many of the other Saints were very quiet.

Huge improvement. 6.12 (48) to 11.10 (76) at the final change.

Archer kicked a freak goal which started a bit of momentum. Set shot on the boundary with the wind basically giving him no chance.

Cockie had been shut out of the game, but he exploded into action. Kicked a 50m goal into the wind.

Wilkes contested all over the ground, and started to clunk a few - kicking a goal with a strong contested mark 10m out.

Ledger struggled but found it 5-6 times in the second half of the quarter.

Ray has sparked up, and Gram has again done well. Gwilt is still performing solidly down back.

Had quite a few chances, and that sort of intensity could see a big comeback with the wind.

First 3 goals to Zebs - Cockie, Peake and Cook. Wilkes has been a huge factor.

67 to 82.

Brilliant snap by Wilkes. 74 to 82.

Dunell misses from 25m directly in front, but Ledger nails it from 45m. 82 to 89.

Another late one to Willy (the wind has died and its pouring) and its all over.

@TrueZebras: Final Score: @sandyzebs 11.16.82 lost to @WilliamstownFC 15.11.101 #GoZebs #fb

Wilkes dropped more marks than I could count. Even some chest marks. Took a couple of nice ones as well but the dropped ones were frustrating.

Ledger and Siposs didn't do their selection chances any harm. Ledger's work inside was pretty good and his outside stuff was good as well. Takes the game on and uses his speed which he has plenty of though sometimes he got himself into a bit of trouble. Siposs' had some nice kicks. You'd think it would just be a matter of time until those two are in the team.

Wilkes was double teamed all day. He might dropped couple marks but he always brought ball to ground & followe up with a contest. His 2nd & 3rd efforts were outstanding & that's what he brings to table over Kosi. Not to mention its hard to mark ball with those conditions!

Ledger didnt do great deal IMO. Had or burst but didn't notice him. Siposs floated in & out of game.

Gram & Ray probably best of Saints.

Thought Wilkes was excellent. In the end, the Zebs started kicking everything to him as he'd either mark it or bring it to ground. His contesting at ground level and tackling was important, and he was instrumental (along with Cockie and Cook) in Sandringham getting into the game.

The snap over his shoulder after the ball came off the hands of players in front of him was top shelf.

Whilst he'll need to keep biding his time, as Riewoldt/Kosi/Rhys seem to be working together well, I liked his game again.

Sandringham 0.2 3.10 6.12 11.16 (82)
Williamstown 5.4 8.7 11.10 15.11 (101)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Cockie 2 Wilkes 2 Peake Ledger Archer Cook Hallahan Siposs Howes

BEST:
Sandringham: Wilkes Dowler Cook Cockie Ray Gram

Not really. Ledger & Siposs are there abouts but would be extremely surprised if any of others got a game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was Gwilt? Rusty or didn't miss a beat? Is he likely to get a spot in the side in the next few weeks? That extra defender who is strong in the air and uses it well by foot will be extremely important for the next few rounds so I hope he's good to go soon enough.

Plus I love watching that hair style move about the ground

In one piece of play he switched across goals and kicked it out on the full (missed the target by 30+ metres and nearly kicked a point), but some of his kicking to teammates was a delight to watch (on a day where we missed targets with gay abandon). Sounds funny, but he looked short on the field - maybe he hasn't got the full confidence to jump 100% at the ball yet. But his opponent did nothing, with Gwilt always seeming to have the better body position. Didn't really run around much, but can't say I was expecting an explosive performance. Next week will be a big test (recovery from this game along with getting through the week of training).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ul-return-in-vfl/story-e6frf9jf-1226335685157

James Gwilt returned to footy yesterday eight months after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament, having 16 disposals in Sandringham's 19-point loss to Williamstown at Trevor Barker Oval.

Gwilt, who sustained the injury in Round 17, collected eight touches in an impressive first quarter before doctors restricted his game time to 80 minutes.

Zebras coach Simon McPhee said Gwilt's solid return would give the Noble Park recruit confidence.

"I thought he was really promising," McPhee said. "It looked like he'd missed a bit of footy (and was) a bit rusty but, once he got into it, he was good."

Saints rookie* Beau Wilkes booted two goals while Farren Ray and Jason Gram improved their claims for a senior recall.

McPhee will review the game before blaming poor discipline for the defeat. The Zebras conceded 45 free kicks which McPhee said stalled attacks at crucial periods.

* another quality bit of Daily Filth research (and not sure why you'd refer to him as "the Noble Park recruit" when he was drafted in 2004!)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dolphins-topple-tigers-20120422-1xf3x.html?skin=text-only

Gwilt ... collected 16 disposals (12 kicks and four handballs) in 80 minutes of game time. Zebras coach Simon McPhee described Gwilt's comeback game as "a bit rusty".

Farren Ray (25 disposals), Jason Gram (20) and Beau Wilkes (two goals) were among the best for the Zebras.

The Zebras conceded 45 free kicks which McPhee said stalled attacks at crucial periods.

and about 40 of them were disgraceful decisions.

Oh and ive been deciding whether to post this or not but decided that i would.

Nicolas Winmar is quite possibly worst player on our list. How this bloke continues to get named as EMG for Saints is beyond me. He should be playing in reserves after performance yesterday.

Not sure what his problem was yesterday but he had cracked the sh1ts and was having go at Siposs, the trainer and then coaches box!

I still havent seen him show anything that backs up his high selection, or even his long contract extension last year or whenever it was.

Fair. :(

I think he is incredibly talented, and I've previously defended his contract extension, but he frustrated the hell out of me too.

Whilst Curren had a very ordinary game, he's at least got some strong form in previous games.

Winmar just cruised around at 80%, but fumbled a few times in traffic and didn't kick anywhere near his capability.

Clearly he's doing some good work on the track, and the coaches rate him, but he's never taken a game by the scruff - and puts in the occasional "lazy" performance.

I'd still hope that consistency of effort will come, and he'll be deserving being on the cusp soon. Possibly it will be like Gwilt, who to me never seemed to have enough urgency in his game but then became a completely different player the following season - showing dash and aggression that I'd never seen (consistently) before.

Asn an aside, just further to thunda's comments about hearing some of the younger players get "rested" (to hit the gym) it was good to see Staley and Webster walk past with cheery faces - rather than looking glum because they'd missed a game through soft tissue problems. That strategy of the club is an absolute winner for mine, and it's a shame we didn't use it for Crocker and Ferguson in previous seasons.

Watched a bit of Crock in the ressies. Just doesn't seem to be clicking for him, which is a real shame for a player who can hit kicks like he can.

Markworth really has a long way to go, and it's hard to watch him not react to the play - for a guy who's obviously intelligent and with blistering pace. Hopefully he'll start reading it better over time and maximising his natural talents.

I'd love to think the Mini injury is precautionary, but he was in huge pain for a long time. Maybe it's a dislocated knee that went back in?

Would you guys say that Wilkes has been among the top forwards in the VFL so far or would that be an exaggeration?

His WAFL form of 2011 wasn't a flash in the pan - and the suggestion that the WAFL and SANFL are slightly better comps might not be far off the mark (most people who watch the VFL and AFL can see the gap is very sizeable). Agree with thunda, in that his ability to contest at ground level after competing strongly in the air (sometimes against multiple opponents) puts him right up there as far as VFL forwards go.

Fair. :(

I think he is incredibly talented, and I've previously defended his contract extension, but he frustrated the hell out of me too.

Whilst Curren had a very ordinary game, he's at least got some strong form in previous games.

Winmar just cruised around at 80%, but fumbled a few times in traffic and didn't kick anywhere near his capability.

Clearly he's doing some good work on the track, and the coaches rate him, but he's never taken a game by the scruff - and puts in the occasional "lazy" performance.

I'd still hope that consistency of effort will come, and he'll be deserving being on the cusp soon. Possibly it will be like Gwilt, who to me never seemed to have enough urgency in his game but then became a completely different player the following season - showing dash and aggression that I'd never seen (consistently) before.

Maybe worst on our list was bit harsh but close to it :(

Agree he just wanders around and looks for cheap possession at times, seems afraid to put his body on line. Will cut him little slack as he did miss fair chunk of preseason with injury, but he'd want to be showing some nice signs in coming weeks.

seems afraid to put his body on line

A few times he had the opportunity to use his ample top-end speed to get to the contest early, but was seemingly reluctant. I think he still goes when required, but why not make it easy for yourself?

Farren Ray showed far more intensity - even though he's a lopey sort of runner too.

I'll try and plead a case for him, and his thought process?

Been on the list for 2.5 years, for 2 games.

Safe to assume that he probably put in at times with no reward for effort?

He has watched all the other guys from his era get opportunity (sometimes undeserved and out of neccessity) or move on to other clubs where they are, and he is still playing at Sandy?

Sure, pull out your finger and demand selection some will say, but he may of been there done that over the journey. Might just need some Scotty love...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back