VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port has had the first 7 shots with the breeze. 2.5.

Faz playing at half forward and has been involved.

Shenton took a nice grab 30 out, but somehow had it taken off him for a push.

The kicking of Wilkes and Dowler out of defence has been a feature (for the wrong reasons). Generally we have been poor with our kicking.

Finally on the board via Mini with a goal. 1.0 to 3.5. But Port answer immediately. Again they are much cleaner with their hands inside.

Some shocking umpiring sees 2 frees missed for us, then they get one and kick the goal.

Galea kicks his third for Port after easily slipping the Dowler tackle. 1.0 to 6.5

Winmar, Ross and Cockie seem to be the only ones who can kick the thing properly. Shenton has butchered a couple of opportunities.

Bastie showed some good pace to put pressure on a player running to 50m for a shot.

1.2 to 6.5 at qtr time. Curren and Ferguson not playing. Lever looks like he played the early game. Maybe Staley too.

Ray, Gram and Polo start in the middle. Wilkes forward.

Ray floats back to take a good grab infront of the pack.

Winmar playing well.

Newnes has done some good work (still a little small).

Shenton kicks a goal from 55 after good work from Wilkes. 2.2 to 7.8

Sikora follows a minute later from 50.

Brilliant right foot pass from Ross sets up Markworth 25m out. Goal makes it 4.2 to 7.8.

Quick hands from Ray and even quicker snap from Grammy is another one. Great goal.

Another one to Lourey and its 6.3 to 7.6.

Bad bit of ball-watching by Dunell, but Port player drops the mark. Dunell manages to lay a good tackle and is rewarded 35m out. You know what happens next.

Unfortunately Port answer and its 7.3 to 8.6

Nice left foot snap by Faz for another one.

Lovely mark 10m out from Shenton and its raining goals.

Another one. Markworth marks in the pocket, and runs around to snap truly.

Now its pouring. Wilkes kicks one from a tight angle.

11.3 to 8.7 at half time.

What a quarter!

What do we take from the fact that Gram, Ray and Wilkes are all lining up for the Zebs rather than playing last night?

Not in contention for round one or are the playing their way back in calculations?

Third quarter:

2 early goals to Mini, including a very nice crumbing effort.

Gram was very influential, but went off injured. Soft tissue, but he looked very uncomfortable and went straight to the rooms. Doubt he'll see much action for a few weeks.

Dowler got absolutely towelled by Galea, who would've kicked 10 today.

A super slick handball (very clever) from Dunell set up Mini (makes it 4 or 5 goals to 3 qtr time?).

Last term:

Ray - cuts off a pass inside 50 and slots it from an angle.

Wilkes works hard and scrabbles one over the line from 2m after Dunell cocked up a snap at goal.

Dunell plucks a strong grab (he's a bit of a one-touch, although he did drop one later in the quarter). Converts from 50m.

Ross sharks it after a dodgy bounce and bursts through the pack and pokes it through from 5m.

Newnes a brilliant intercept and pass to Wilkes, who kicks truly from a tight angle.

Strong bullocking by Wilkes before a deft tap by Dunell to Shenton on the run, who goals from 35m.

Polo goes left in the pocket, but then ducks back on the right and snaps it through.

Great kick by Mini to Wilkes, who could have had a shot but passes to Shepheard 20m out directly in front.

Final score 24.8 to 20.9

Well, I think that sorts it out. Wilkes is a much better forward than defender. Congrats to those who got there earlier than I did. Had a real impact today and kicked well for goal.

Seb Ross - hello! OK, now I see it. Thought he was a little slow, but he stepped it up today and showed plenty of intensity and dash. Made good decisions. Plenty of the ball.

Jack (Newnes) - he's very small, but also showed alot today. Can see the good AFL player there. Just need to be patient until he bulks up. Did many 1%ers off half back today.

Is someone going to tell me that Mini was our last rookie pick? :thumbsu:

The others:

Gram had some real quality touches. Real shame, as he would definitely have been pushing for a spot in the Saints team.

Ray was good. Solid game.

Dunell is a handy type. Doesn't need much of the ball to hurt the opposition. Seemed a bit uncertain as to whether to go for his marks, and when he stayed down he didn't really get into it. Needs to be used as the lead up forward. He's got a few tricks, and the give-off to Mini was all class (and then proved it wasn't a fluke with a deft tap to Shenton for another goal assist).

Shenton is a handy VFL standard player. I'm not really sure whether I see AFL in him if I was honest, but he can certainly contribute at this level.

Winmar was good today, but did have a terrible kick-in which gifted Port a goal.

Polo had the fumbles a few times, but played OK. Did a fair amount of bullocking around the stoppages.

Andreoli did a job. Not great, although his kicking is normally pretty sound.

Crocker had a couple of good touches when we was able to run onto the ball, but overall didn't play well. Markworth worked hard but had no impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I reading right that Faz played across half forward? Would like to see him there for the red white and black.

Started there, but played a fair few minutes off a wing (floating back and forward).

Great reports Squiz.

To be honest, by the sounds of things, Faz, Gram and Wilkes had decent games. But is it too little too late. The reason Wilkes played forward is probably because he is a liability in defence atm. Having Faz play in the forward line is ridiculous considering he would proabably be one of our worst kicks under pressure and Gram, well, no one questions his talent but he has too many deficiencies to play seniors in his current form.
I would be surprised to see these guys play seniors round 1. Possibly Wilkes has a better chance maybe in the forward line but I can't see Faz or Gram starting round 1. Theres just too many players that need to be squeezed into the starting line up. Simpkin, Ledger, Sipposs are all going to start IMO. Maybe even Cripps.

sounds like watters is going to go with youth. the top ended talent of our senior players will see their careers out but the mid tier role playing seniors will probably only come in when the younger players are rested.

looking forward to watching a midfield of mcevoy, ledger, steven, ross in a couple years time.

Great reports Squiz.

To be honest, by the sounds of things, Faz, Gram and Wilkes had decent games. But is it too little too late. The reason Wilkes played forward is probably because he is a liability in defence atm. Having Faz play in the forward line is ridiculous considering he would proabably be one of our worst kicks under pressure and Gram, well, no one questions his talent but he has too many deficiencies to play seniors in his current form.
I would be surprised to see these guys play seniors round 1. Possibly Wilkes has a better chance maybe in the forward line but I can't see Faz or Gram starting round 1. Theres just too many players that need to be squeezed into the starting line up. Simpkin, Ledger, Sipposs are all going to start IMO. Maybe even Cripps.
For what it's worth I think you are spot on. Our middle tier played a role and the Saints nearly won it, but that is history now and it is time to move on. Players like, Winmar, Siposs, Ledger, Stanley, Simpkin, Cripps and to a lesser degree Ross have to play.
If they don't, then we are in for, a slow boring slide.

Here's a team with a blend of experience, youth ,flexibility, speed & clearly making a statement to the list..!!

B: Goddard, Dempster, S.Fisher,
HB: Simpkin, Koschitzke, Gilbert,
C: Montagna, Dal Santo, Steven,
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Stanley,
F: Siposs, Wilkes, Milne,
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones,

Int: Saad, Ledger, Cripps, & Milera (Sub)

Unlucky to miss out , injured or simply require work on their game..

Armitage, Blake, R. Clarke, Gram, Geary, Gwilt, Polo, Peake, Ray, Ross, Winmar,

Watters has already said Kosi is a FORWARD who can run through ruck if needed. He will not be reinvented in another position, so anyone thinking he will are just dreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back