Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Slight bump ;)

So how do people see our teams best 22 going forward into the finals? Where do we play Hodge? Do we play the 3 rucks allowing Roughead to go back when a forward gets on top of us? Who is our ideal sub?

This is my effort...

FB Guerra - Schoenmakers - Gibson
HB Birchall - Stratton - Suckling
CE Burgoyne - Mitchell - Whitecross
RU Bailey - Sewell - Shiels
HF Hodge - Franklin - Lewis
FF Rioli - Roughead - Breust
IN Hale - Young - Smith
SU Gunston

I don't like it, IMO I think the negatives far out weigh the positives of playing 2 ruckmen. I don't think any side currently plays with 2 pure ruckmen....
If we're looking at West Coast, they play Cox and Natanui. Essendon Belchambers/Hill and Ryder.... Natanui is versatile agile and quick he plays more like a ruck rover.....ditto with Ryder, they do not lose anything at ground level when playing these combinations. Our answer to Natanui and Ryder is Roughead....whos' not as good in the tap outs department but superior when it comes to ground level and clearances.

Pro's of playing two pure rucks.

*If one Ruckman goes down we have another back up....and it won't affect our structure.
*an ability to play Roughead in a permanent role. either Back or forward.

Cons of playing two pure rucks.

*Less rotations of our onballers/flankers and running players means tiring out later in games.
*Taking away Gunston from our forward line, reliable set shot, taking away an avenue to goal = Weakening our greatest strength.
*We become too top heavy ie slow.

It comes down to Hale's versatility and around the ground ability vs Bailey's tap out ability. We cant carry both. Its a real dilemma.
I really want to have a good look at Bailey again.

FB Guerra - Schoenmakers - Stratton
HB Birchall - Gibson - Burgoyne
CE Smith - Mitchell - Whitecross
RU Hale - Sewell - Shiels
HF Rioli - Franklin - Lewis
FF Gunston - Roughead - Breust
IN - Hodge - Suckling - Poo
SU - Young

How many continuous quarters of VFL would you expect from Ellis to prove that his body is actually right? He seems to have played stuff all football this season, and rarely completed 4 quarters playing at sub AFL level.

I see a lot of X love around here, though i cannot think of a single player in last weeks starting 22 that deserves to lose his position for Ellis, and would argue there are even a few outside the 22 ahead of him to cover for our one necessary change - possibly even Franklin.

I would prefer giving Savage more of a run, or giving Cheney or Hill a little more experience - at least those two are more likely to get through the next 7-8 weeks without breaking down. Even Gilham, Murphy or an extra ruckman should get some more gametime, they are more likely to be needed in the run home.

IMO Ellis just needs to get back into shape, show he has enough resilience, and aim at getting back into the side for round1 2013 - The back to back season.

Think you will find with Shiels going out, Savage gets a full game under his belt.

I'm a huge fan of Hill as a sub. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the wide open spaces of the Cats game. Now that Goo is back, doubt we will see Cheney/Murphy.

So, its out of Hill/Ellis/Bateman for the sub for mine.

Think you will find with Shiels going out, Savage gets a full game under his belt.

I'm a huge fan of Hill as a sub. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done in the wide open spaces of the Cats game. Now that Goo is back, doubt we will see Cheney/Murphy.

So, its out of Hill/Ellis/Bateman for the sub for mine.

In regards to Hill i don't think he is ready, not sure how he would have coped in a seriously contested battle. Especially in the last.

In regards to Hill i don't think he is ready, not sure how he would have coped in a seriously contested battle. Especially in the last.

Fair enough response but how did Savage do in the seriously contested battle?

Fair enough response but how did Savage do in the seriously contested battle?

I didn't think he was as bad as many made him out to be....I thought he played his role, When Motlop first went on to the ground he had an influence, Savage was then moved onto him and he didn't touch the ball again.....one thing I liked about Savage was he actually went in pretty hard and provided a contest.

He finished on 4 disposals 2 contested 2 tackles and 1 inside 50
His direct opponent had 3 disposals 1 contested and 1 tackle 0 inside 50's

He finished with more tackles in 1 quarter than Young in 4 and the same as Sewell Roughead Birchall Guerra Suckling Gunston Gibson and Stratton.....
He also had more possIes In the last than RIolI, mItchell gunston guerra lewIs bIrchall gIbson stratton shoey and sucklIng and the same as whItecross and breust .................Savage had a go.

FB: Stratton - Gibson - Guerra
HB: Burgers - Schoey - Birchall
Ce: Young - Lewis - Shiels
HF: Rioli - Franklin - Whitecross
FF: Hodge - Roughie - Breust

Ru: Hale
RR: Sewell
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Smith, Suckling + two of Bailey, Gunston, Puopolo and Savage

Have no idea on the last two and the sub, probably depends on the opposition.

IN: Franklin
OUT: Savage

B: Guerra Gibson Stratton
HB: Birchall Schoenmakers Burgoyne
C: Young Mitchell Lewis
HF: Gunston Franklin Breust
F: Puopolo Roughead Rioli
R: Hale Hodge Sewell
INT: Whitecross Suckling Shiels Smith (Sub)

EMG: Ellis Gilham Savage

and that is your best 22! :)

I still think Ellis is a good shot if he can get his body right. By no means is that a small if and I have no idea who he would replace (possibly Puopolo) but I think he is too valuable to keep out when up and running.

Has the word "if" been associated more with any other player than Ellis?

I still think Ellis is a good shot if he can get his body right. By no means is that a small if and I have no idea who he would replace (possibly Puopolo) but I think he is too valuable to keep out when up and running.

Has the word "if" been associated more with any other player than Ellis?

Dowler & Muston :'(

Picture it.. 2012 AFL Grand Final.. Hawthorn vs Geelong.. After a shot after the siren by Buddy, Hawthorn win the match by 3 in front of 100,000 screaming fans.. 12.10.82 def Geelong 12.7.79..

This, in my opinion, is our best team to make that possible..

B: Guerra Gibbo Stratts
HB: Suckling Schoenmakers Birchall
C: Lewis Hodge Shiels
HF: Rioli Buddy Gunner
F: Breust Roughie Puopolo
R: Hale Mitchell Sewell
Int: Burgyone Young Whitecross Sub: Smith
Emg: Bailey Murphy Savage

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back