Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The new back six

What was up with Burgoyne, I thought he'd be playing as a pure midfielder for you when drafted. His clearance work is Elite up there with Judd and Ablett..would have liked him to have played more time in the mid than in the forward line or off HB!

Lost Gilham for the season; Stratts for most of it; & Schoey for a big chunk of it too. Needed a calm head with some class that had good disposal & created some run.
He played well HFF for the first 5 odd games until being shifted back.

I expect him to play more Mid/HF this year & see better results. Is very much a team player with us & doesn't stand out nearly as much as he did with Port. Filled the role well this year IMO.

I am not going to even attempt to put together a best 22. Someone I want in the side always misses out.

The only thing I will say is that I want to see Savage played at HF next season in place of Ozzie. We need to play him to keep him away from GWS at the end of next year. The kid has pace and knows where the goals are.........so I want to see him up the front end so he can inflict some damage on the scoreboard and make one of the opposition defenders accountable.

Re: The "How's he tracking for 2012" mega thread.

My first thought is that he replaces Whitecross actually. And that whitecross becomes part of the next generation of hawthorn midfielders. Particularly to replace Sewell.

Re: Savage and Bruest?

I'd argue Bruest isn't in the forward line yet either. He's played some games there, but because others were missing. I haven't seen much of Gunston, I'm wondering what the defensive side of his game is like...

On stats alone it's not great, he averages less than 2 tackles a game.

I don't see why Breust isn't a regular in the forward line . . . averaging 1.8 goals a game is pretty good, and with all the attention on the talls he's very good at finding space to take a mark and of course he's deadly with his set shots.

What was up with Burgoyne, I thought he'd be playing as a pure midfielder for you when drafted. His clearance work is Elite up there with Judd and Ablett..would have liked him to have played more time in the mid than in the forward line or off HB!

Was out of form so we put him at half back, though he has won a game or two for us coming into the midfield.

The defence this year more than any other will probably be interchangeable, and dependent on our opponents.

For example Boumann will probably play against West Coast who have a lot of talls and not against Carlton who don't have many.

I see a lot of posters naming Boumann in their Best 22 come Round 1 2012; often at the expense of Schoey &/or Gilham.

Is this a bit of naive optimism or is there a chance he is actually AFL ready & part of the unit in 6 months time?

Naive optimism I suspect. Notice the veteran Box Hill watchers don't see him as ready yet. However we don't know how quickly he will develop nor what opportunities will come through injuries/suspensions.

FB: Guerra Gilham Gibson

HB: Stratton Shoenmakers Birchall

C: Smith Mitchell Burgoyne

HF: Whitecross Franklin Gunston

FF: Lewis Roughead Rioli

Foll: Bailey Hodge Sewell

Int: Bruest, Shiels, Puopolo, Suckling

so i had to leave ellis out because he would be vying for a midfield spot.

Not far off my best. I may include Ellis at the expense of Bruest.

Team looking very very strong on paper, now just need to translate it into a great season performance and a premiership trophy;)

FB: Guerra Boumann/Gilham Stratton

HB: Birchall Schoenmakers Gibson

C: Burgoyne Mitchell Smith

HF: Gunston Franklin Hodge

FF: Rioli Roughead Puopolo

RUCKS: Bailey Sewell Lewis

Bench: Hale Whitecross Shiels SUB: Breust

Depth: Murphy, Gilham/Boumann, Osborne, Savage, Bateman, Bruce, Cheney, PJ, Young, Ellis, Suckling

I've found it really hard to squeeze in Ozzy, Murph, Sav and Suckling but no doubt they all have a place somehwere.:confused:

Question is, who would you take out of this side for them to replace????

It is quite amazing looking at the depth there. :eek:

The best thing is you can rotate players from depth and you can still have just a strong a side on paper. :thumbsu:

If Roughy can't ruck then we need to play Hale (until Lowden ready). IMO Hale is passable as a stay at home FF (better than that, perhaps) but can't play anywhere else so must play FF. I don't think we can play Hale, Buddy, Roughy & Gunner all up forward.

So:

FB: Stratts Schoey Goo

HB: Gibbo Roughy Birch

Ce: Smith Mitch Lewis

HF: WX Buddy Gunner

FF: Cyril Hale Popeye

Foll: Big Max Hodgey Burger Jnr

I/C: Shiels Murphy Sewell
Sub: Breust

Depth: Savage Ellis Gilhammer Ossie Young Boumann Suckling

Will we persist with the 5 man forward 7 man back structure now that we are chockers with tall options? If so...

Defense - Birchall, Burgoyne, Suckling, Stratton, Schoenmakers, Gibson, Guerra.

Centreline - Bailey, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell

Wingers/Roamers - Smith, Gunston

Forwards - Franklin, Rough, Rioli, Whitecross, Breust

Interchange - Sewell, Poppa, Hale, Shiels, Murphy, Gilham, Osbourne, Savage, Changa... ????

Shit a brick :confused:

It is quite amazing looking at the depth there. :eek:

The best thing is you can rotate players from depth and you can still have just a strong a side on paper. :thumbsu:

Squirrel. That's a damn fine line-up. My only questions are:

1. Are we agreeing that based on our selection during the final series, Shoe is earmarked as our future CHB/FB?

2. Your side has little pace in the guts - Mitch, Sewell, Lewis

3. Is Pop a better 1-2 goal a game small forward who keeps the ball in or a small defender?

4. Is there enough run off the half back line? Think Collingwood with shaw and Davis.

5. Would love to find a spot for Suckers and Ellis (body being right)

6. Love the forward line if Rough is right to go and Captain would cause them nightmares and may extend his career (Hodge v Ossie in that position is a no brainer).

Lets touch wood and hope no more than 1 injury per game, as a fit Young on the other wing could also cause sides trouble.

Luv your work

FB: Puopolo, Gilham, Guerra
HB: Gibson, Roughead, Birchall
C: Smith, Mitchell, Savage
HF: Lewis, Franklin, Gunston
FF: Burgoyne, Hale, Rioli
R: Bailey, Hodge, Sewell
I: Shiels, Stratton, Whitecross, Sub: Bruest

Depth: Boumann, Suckling, Young, Cheney, Ellis, Young, Osbourne, Shoenmakers, Paul johnson (providing lowden isnt ready), Bateman, to a lesser extent bruce

Im happy with the depth we have its a good coverage of all posistions i also believe we should pick up fev in the rookie draft to add to the forward depth a bit more and keep roughead down back :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Puopolo Boumann Gibson
HB: Stratton Gilham Birchall
C: Savage Mitchell Smith
HF: Burgoyne Franklin Hodge
F: Rioli Roughead Gunston
Foll: Bailey Shiels Lewis
Int: Hale Sewell Breust Guerra

Unlucky: Young, Schoenmachers, Suckling, Whitex, Ellis, Murphy, Ladson, Osborne, Bateman, Cheney, Bruce and P.Johnson
Pleasantly suprised at the depth we will have nest season :thumbsu:

FB: Puopolo, Gilham, Guerra
HB: Gibson, Roughead, Birchall
C: Smith, Mitchell, Savage
HF: Lewis, Franklin, Gunston
FF: Burgoyne, Hale, Rioli
R: Bailey, Hodge, Sewell
I: Shiels, Stratton, Whitecross, Sub: Bruest

Depth: Boumann, Suckling, Young, Cheney, Ellis, Young, Osbourne, Shoenmakers, Paul johnson (providing lowden isnt ready), Bateman, to a lesser extent bruce

Im happy with the depth we have its a good coverage of all posistions i also believe we should pick up fev in the rookie draft to add to the forward depth a bit more and keep roughead down back :)

I like that side, but no Murphy even in the depth list...;)

Provided we have a fullish list to choose from down back, for me he wont/shouldnt break in next year.

Be great to see the back 6 of Rough, Birch, Gibbo, Stratts, Goo, Gillam...with Hodgey, Suckling, Burgs or Poo floating back aswell FTtT if needed.

Schoe, Cheney, Booman and Murph round out the depth.

I like that side, but no Murphy even in the depth list...;)

Provided we have a fullish list to choose from down back, for me he wont/shouldnt break in next year.

Be great to see the back 6 of Rough, Birch, Gibbo, Stratts, Goo, Gillam...with Hodgey, Suckling, Burgs or Poo floating back aswell FTtT if needed.

Schoe, Cheney, Booman and Murph round out the depth.
I forgot about Murphy haha yes his not the best defender but his also added to the depth list :) yes as good as our list is now im just as impressed with our depth and i think we are a very good chance at winning the flag next year

I forgot about Murphy haha yes his not the best defender but his also added to the depth list :) yes as good as our list is now im just as impressed with our depth and i think we are a very good chance at winning the flag next year

Yes we are building a very good squad of 30 odd players that will drive towards a flag chance in the next few years.

Not hard to forget a few, when putting the side on paper, great sign the depth is as good as its been for years, many years.

All we can do is get in the mix and hope the cards fall our way.

Happy days ahead :thumbsu:

Backs:
Murphy
Gilham
Gibson
Stratton
Schoenmakers
Birchall

Midfielders
Shiels
Mitchell
Lewis

Forwards
Burgoyne
Franklin
Rioli
Puopolo
Roughead
Breust

Rucks
Bailey
Hodge
Sewell

Interchange:
Guerra
Smith
Hale
Suckling (Sub)

No spot for...

Cheney
Osborne
Bateman
Ellis
Young
Bruce
Savage
Boumann
Gunston
Johnson
Whitecross
Ellis Cheney Young Gunston Boumann & Savage should force their way into our best 22 at some stage next season.

Backs:
Murphy
Gilham
Guerra
Stratton
Schoenmakers
Birchall

Midfielders
Shiels
Mitchell
Lewis

Forwards
Burgoyne
Franklin
Rioli
Puopolo
Roughead
Breust

Rucks
Bailey
Hodge
Sewell

Interchange:
Suckling
Smith
Hale
Whitecross (Sub)

No spot for...

Cheney
Osborne
Bateman
Ellis
Young
Bruce
Savage
Boumann
Gunston
Johnson

Ellis Cheney Young Gunston Boumann & Savage should force their way into our best 22 at some stage next season.

Gibson goes alright

B: Gibson Boumann WX
HB: Stratton Shoe Birchall
C: Smith Burgoyne Savage
HF: Rioli Buddy Gunston
F: Hodge Roughy Breust
R: Bailey Mitch Sewell
Int: Lewis Shiels Puopolo Sub: Ellis

I'm thinking more about a round 1 team at the moment. The idea of the best 22 evolves over the season, at this stage you look more at a squad of 30 or so. I'm going to assume that Gilly and Roughy are not available for round 1.

Gibson - Boumann - Stratton
Suckling - Schoe - Birchall
Savage - Mitch - Smith
Rioli - Buddy - Gunston
Bruest - Hale - Puopolo

Bailey - Hodge - Burgoyne

Lewis - Sheils - Sewell - Whitecross - Guerra - Murphy

Gah, so hard to fit everyone in. It's a good thing, as it means there will be huge pressure to retain spots. I reckon our 'bottom 6' has improved loads and loads since 09/10. Back then it was about which not-quite-ready players had to be thrown into the mix, now it's about which deserving players will have to miss out. It's a damn-fine looking team no matter how you look at it. I have a feeling, though, that maybe some players will want to persue opportunity at other clubs by the end of next year. If we're going to move some guys on, that would be the time to do it - maximise our picks in the super-draft to set us up for the longer term so we don't bottom out at any stage.

I'm very happy we kept Thomas Schneider, i never actually saw him play for BHH or BHH reserves, how ever i did see him play in perth in the NAB Cup although he is a midfielder. He did look promising as a small HFF type role. Do any of you reckon he will play senior footy next year? I hope he does plenty of upside!

Tactics 2012

So we are a LONG way off the start of the season but with the sub rule and and other factors like "the press" etc creeping into the game what will be or should be our tactics that will work to our strengths next year and continue to help us stay in front of the pack?

One thing I would like to see is a starting line-up that included Hale FF, Bailey Rucking and Roughy CHB with each of them rucking in their respective area's throughout the game.

The idea being that Bailey and Hale could rotate, negating the need for as much bench time and would mean neither of them would have to enter the defensive 50 to ruck as roughy would do it all.

Whoever is rucking would only take bounces and throw in's between the 50 arcs as both 50's would be covered by the other big men.

Would also mean the 4 players on the bench could be all running/mid types and we would still have 2 KPF's and 2 rucks that can be interchanged throughout the game.

Thoughts on this tactic or any other tactic's people have?

Re: Tactics 2012

I would like us to set up with 3 tall forwards, Franklin Roughead Gunston. 3 small forwards. Breust Rioli Puopolo. 3 tall defenders Boumann Schoenmakers Gilham, with Gibson Birchall & Stratton as the other 3 defenders. Bailey as our no.1 ruckman. With Hale starting on the bench. But as for tactics, our focus should be tackling pressure, & kicking more then we handball should be our focus. We have the best kickers in the comp.

Re: Tactics 2012

Not for me - we need to look 'back to the future' (along with some modern innovation) to see how best to set up our rucks.

That for me is Roughie at FF leading out to the play, Hale CHF and towards the middle providing a target and ruck support leading towards the goals, the CHB playing on their CHF, and the nominated ruck a kick behind the play and generally filling the hole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back