Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Savage has played 17 games for 16 goals and Izzy Smith 16games for 20 goals which is a pretty solid return for wingmen. Smith certainly plays half forward as well.

I like Young's game when he can get on the park but his kicking for goal on the run from outside is great. I cannot really remember many of his set shots for goal but I have my reservations about his accuracy in that context.

It is interesting how opinions vary about players but for mine Savage and Smith show much greater potential than Young at this stage of their careers.

Agreed, in fact IDE go as far as to say youngie is one of the worst kicks at the club. Not confusing long kicks with accurate kicks of course.

Interesting & Different. Not many people are brave enough to put a very good fwd in Roughead at CHB. But as you rightfully did, if you have Hale at FF, you really need small fwds like Puopolo/Rioli hat his feet. It is also interesting you have gone with stratton at FB, not Gilham. I like the fact you have savage & young in there, good move. Young is one of the few who is accurate kick at goal from 50 m whether on the run or set shot. Savage was no inspiring with his run and carry and goal sense.

Are you joking or serious?

Young is one of the least accurate kicks at goal at our club, yes he has a booming long kick, but he has missed so many goals, whereas Savage is one of the most accurate shots we have, I remember earlier in the year he had a record of something like 10 goals and 1 behind.

Are you joking or serious?

Young is one of the least accurate kicks at goal at our club, yes he has a booming long kick, but he has missed so many goals, whereas Savage is one of the most accurate shots we have, I remember earlier in the year he had a record of something like 10 goals and 1 behind.

It is never a good thing to base your judgment on one game, the 08 prelim against St Kilda. In that game Young kicked two goals, both on and just outside 50 m and cleared them post high, very comfortably kicked them. I think savage/smith would be better about 30-35 metre mark. He also kicked to some of William's leads. He was also good at the back half, don't need Bruce. Obviously Savage/Smith both have more speed.

Obviously Young has had injuries last few years and it might have taken toll on his body, I got no idea on that, obviously you guys focusing on this year and that's fair enough.

Savage has played 17 games for 16 goals and Izzy Smith 16games for 20 goals which is a pretty solid return for wingmen. Smith certainly plays half forward as well.

I like Young's game when he can get on the park but his kicking for goal on the run from outside is not great. I cannot really remember many of his set shots for goal but I also have my reservations about his accuracy in that context.

It is interesting how opinions vary about players but for mine Savage and Smith show much greater potential than Young at this stage of their careers.

Sorry for the spelling mistake, I was meant to say savage's run and carry was So inspiring. I think savage/smith and Young are very different players. Both Savage/Smith have speed to burn, not so young. Also, probably watched too much of the Prelim 08 final, never a good thing to base judgment on one game, but if we do, then there is a spot for young.

As commentators said in the game and my memory of 08, bateman was the most important player, with his desperation and gut running. For me, savage probably resembles some similarities, now it is up to him for his body to be able to take those hits and having four quarters consistent football. His desperation in chasing down players, run and carry and goal sense were inspirational. He seems a complete package to me.

It is never a good thing to base your judgment on one game, the 08 prelim against St Kilda. In that game Young kicked two goals, both on and just outside 50 m and cleared them post high, very comfortably kicked them. I think savage/smith would be better about 30-35 metre mark. He also kicked to some of William's leads. He was also good at the back half, don't need Bruce. Obviously Savage/Smith both have more speed.

Obviously Young has had injuries last few years and it might have taken toll on his body, I got no idea on that, obviously you guys focusing on this year and that's fair enough.

Yeah that's fair enough, before the start of last season I remember thinking gee Young is so important to our team, yet we are now lucky to have savage and smith coming up. I still think Young has a spot there he can earn and show us why he was so important 2007-2008 years. His luck with injuries has been terrible, but it seems to me that smith has passed him and savage is about to.

I guess we can wait and see and hope all 3 are putting up huge cases to be in our best 22

Guerra Gilham Stratton
Birchall Gibson Murphy
Young Hodge Savage
Smith Franklin Rioli
Puopolo Roughead Gunston
Bailey Sewell Mitchell
Lewis Hale Sheils Whitecross
Osborne Bruest.

Does anyone think that either of Smith or Savage (or perhaps Young) could play HBF?

After his 2011 season, Birchall has his spot sewn up, but I wonder which runners could/would fill his spot is he was unavailable. I am thinking more of a running rebounder type, not 3rd tall type of HBF as are Stratton/Gibson.

I must say, I am quite excited about our possible line-ups for the back 6 (or 7) in 2012. I know I favour Roughy at CHB, but I do love looking over the backlines posted by others & anticipate watching them run out in 2012.

FB: Puopolo - Schoenmakers - Guerra
HB: Stratton - Gibson - Birchall
Ce: Smith - Hodge - Lewis
HF: Ossie - Franko - Whitecross
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Breust

Ru: Bailey
RR: Mitchell
Ro: Sewell

I/C: Hale, Burgers, Shiels + Bateman

Emerg: Savage, Gunston, Young, Suckling, Murphy....

FB: Puopolo - Schoenmakers - Guerra
HB: Stratton - Gibson - Birchall
Ce: Smith - Hodge - Lewis
HF: Ossie - Franko - Whitecross
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Breust

Ru: Bailey
RR: Mitchell
Ro: Sewell

I/C: Hale, Burgers, Shiels + Bateman

Emerg: Savage, Gunston, Young, Suckling, Murphy....

I have often thought about Schoey at FB when working on Best 22's etc. If nothing else you have an attacking Back 6!

It's a good sign when you look through this thread and can't find an identical lineup (that i could see).

For me:

Defense:
Stratton - Gilham - Guerra
Gibson - Schoenmakers - Birchall

Depth: Murphy, Cheney, Suckling, Langford

Midfield:
Shiels - Sewell - Smith
Hodge - Mitchell

Depth: Ellis, Young, Lewis, Burgoyne, Bateman,

Ruck:
Bailey - Hale

Depth: Lowden, McCauley, Grimley, Pattison

Forward:
Whitecross - Franklin - Rioli
Osborne - Roughead - Gunston

Depth: Breust (s), Puopolo, Savage

*Bolded are interchange players

Even I'm not completely happy that I left out Suckling and Savage. Murphy could replace Guerra, so could Suckling or Cheney.

It's a good sign when you look through this thread and can't find an identical lineup (that i could see).

For me:

Defense:

Depth: Murphy, Cheney, Suckling, Langford

Midfield:
Shiels - Sewell - Smith
Hodge - Mitchell

Depth: Ellis, Young, Lewis, Burgoyne, Bateman,

Ruck:
Bailey - Hale

Depth: Lowden, McCauley, Grimley, Pattison

Forward:
Whitecross - Franklin - Rioli
Osborne - Roughead - Gunston

Depth: Breust (s), Puopolo, Savage

*Bolded are interchange players

Even I'm not completely happy that I left out Suckling and Savage. Murphy could replace Guerra, so could Suckling or Cheney.

I like that Back 6! :thumbsu: Boumann is another Defender that gives us depth. But where is Bruce? Good Forward/Midfielder/Defender Utility to have on our list! :thumbsu:

For me:

Defense:

As with buddylebo,

I like the look of that Defensive 6.

I have the same guys in the same spots.

I know most don't find it a popular choice but Murphy would be unlucky (IMO) not to get a gig on the bench as the 7th defender.

Could a fit/in-form X Ellis play a defender role as effectively as Tom Murphy, but increase flexibility by also being able to play other roles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late last year we made a structural change bringing in a defender (Stratton) for a forward (Bruest).

With a forward (Roughead) to come back in I think we'll reverse this change and leave out a defender. The defender to be left out should be a small-medium defender. We've plenty of those.

And with another semi-tall defender possibly available (Gilham, if he gets back to his best) we could release Gibson or Stratton from playing on the talls and leave out a second small-medium defender.

I can see why we let go small defenders Sierakowski and Ladson.

Guerra Gilham Gibson
Birchall Stratton Burgoyne
Smith Lewis Shiels
Whitecross Franklin Hodge
Rioli Roughead Puopolo
Bailey Sewell Mitchell
Boumann/Schoe + Ellis/Savage + Hale/Gunston + Bruest/Osborne

Backline: Guerra Gilham Stratton

H/Back: Gibson Schoenmakers Birchall

Centre: Hodge Mitchell Smith

H/Forward: Puopolo Franklin Gunston

Forward: Rioli Roughead Breust

Ruck: Bailey Sewell Shiels

Interchange: Lewis Burgoyne Hale Sub: Whitecross

Depth: Osborne, Bateman, Young, Ellis, Savage

Tonka with regard to the backline, great players but stratton is not tall enough for the CHB position. The thing I love about this selection process is there is no way to fit everyone in. There is no weak link just match up dilemnas. It is good to be a hawk.

Tonka with regard to the backline, great players but stratton is not tall enough for the CHB position. The thing I love about this selection process is there is no way to fit everyone in. There is no weak link just match up dilemnas. It is good to be a hawk.

I Agree. I put Boumann/Schoe on the bench rather than at Centre Half Back as they are the most junior (and unproven) of the back seven.

It is a great time to be a Hawk. Still - the area not covered yet....CHB. As you say Strats not tall enough and there are Concerns with Shoey. I just hope I'm not watching Shoenmakers with gritted teeth again in 2012!

Many are talking him up as Gold for 2012. If he can maintain composure for the bulk of the year, could be the catalyst for ultimate success. Fingers crossed.

Baz Hawk, I can't believe you have Pops as depth? Thought he had a better year than Ossie TBH.

He has him on the bench, which is not a bad idea actually. Puopolo is a good burst player. Although I can't recall him ever starting a game on the bench.

The Forward line would be like this IMO

Breust Franklin Rioli
Gunston Roughead Osborne

With Hale Puopolo Burgoyne Hodge rotating there from time to time. Exciting times ahead! :thumbsu:

It is a great time to be a Hawk. Still - the area not covered yet....CHB. As you say Strats not tall enough and there are Concerns with Shoey. I just hope I'm not watching Shoenmakers with gritted teeth again in 2012!

Many are talking him up as Gold for 2012. If he can maintain composure for the bulk of the year, could be the catalyst for ultimate success. Fingers crossed.

Driftyhunter, the difference this year with shoey is he will be supported by Gilham/Bouman against the other big guy who can both be supported by the likes of Gibson, stratton and Birchall in terms of a timely punch etc.
Last year he was the only bigger player with the rest punching above their weight. Last year and even this year he may struggle 1 on 1 against some but with the above support will be more than adequate.

He has him on the bench, which is not a bad idea actually. Puopolo is a good burst player. Although I can't recall him ever starting a game on the bench.

The Forward line would be like this IMO

Breust Franklin Rioli
Gunston Roughead Osborne

With Hale Puopolo Burgoyne Hodge rotating there from time to time. Exciting times ahead! :thumbsu:

I love that I couldn't fit breust or Ossie, suckling or young as well ellis or changa in the side as any one of them could come in and make the team better. That murphy is not there as well is amazing. He is a gun 5th or 6th back but it is hard to find him a spot. We are now positioned to rotate a few players to manage the year as a campaign timed for the finals and Clarko is just the tactician to manage it.

I love that I couldn't fit breust or Ossie, suckling or young as well ellis or changa in the side as any one of them could come in and make the team better. That murphy is not there as well is amazing. He is a gun 5th or 6th back but it is hard to find him a spot. We are now positioned to rotate a few players to manage the year as a campaign timed for the finals and Clarko is just the tactician to manage it.

I don't have Suckling in my best 22. As good as he was I still couldn't fit him in! I'd hate to be on the selection comittee!

Backs: Guerra Gilham Gibson
Half Backs: Stratton Schoenmakers Birchall
Centers: Shiels Mitchell Lewis
Half Forwards: Puopolo Franklin Rioli
Forwards: Gunston Roughead Osborne
Rucks: Bailey Hodge Sewell

Intechange: Burgoyne Hale Smith Breust (Sub)

Emergencys: Suckling Savage Murphy

Depth: Bateman Ellis Young Cheney Bruce Lowden Boumann Whitecross McCauley Pattison Schneider.

* In BOLD, Did not play against Collingwood in the PF.

I believe there is still a spot for Young Ellis and Suckling for a spot in our team if they play to their best.

A perfect Back 6 would be: 3 Talls Gilham Schoenmakers Birchall and 3 smalls Gibson Guerra Stratton.
A perfect Forward 6: 3 Talls Franklin Roughead Gunston and 3 smalls Breust Osborne Rioli.

Yes that Back 6 might look Tall on paper, but Guerra Birchall and Gibson provide plenty of Drive out of defence with their run and carry and lethal left foot! :)

In my 12 years so far as a Hawk supporter I rate this current list at the moment as the best list going into a season we have ever had! The Depth is looking quite strong! Especially considering I couldn't fit Suckling and Murphy and Whitecross in the team who all played in the PF. :thumbsu:

Defense:

I like that Back 6! :thumbsu:

As with buddylebo,

I like the look of that Defensive 6.

Are you guys serious?

Each to their own and all that jazz, but that back 6 is way too tall IMO. Would absolutely get smashed at ground level by a team with 2-3 pacey small/mid forwards. Teams would just load up on smalls in their forward line if we used that back 6.

Gibson, despite what some seem to think, will still be needed to help out with the opposition's KP forwards this year. Schoey, Stratts and to a lesser extent Gilham aren't able to completely hold out a decent KP forward without some sort of help the way we know Gibbo can do it basically on his lonesome. So either Gibbo plays on the big forwards or helps out with the chop outs and takes a 3rd tall, either way, it then really only leaves Birchall and Guerra from your back 6 who can play on the smalls/mids - and you'd wan't one of them to be your main rebounding weapon coming out of defense too, which would leave their opponent open for much of the game.

So, one of Gilham or Schoey has to be left out IMO, for a more agile player who can apply tackling pressure like a Puopolo, Whitecross, Murphy or possibly a Suckling type. Between Gibson, Stratton and one of either Schoey or Gilham (depends on if your view is to start getting the experience into Schoey now, or go with the more experienced Gilham at the expense of developing Schoey), they should be able to handle any opposition tall forwards, which allows us to utilize 3 smaller, more agile and attacking players down back to compliment these big men.

Are you guys serious?

Each to their own and all that jazz, but that back 6 is way too tall IMO. Would absolutely get smashed at ground level by a team with 2-3 pacey small/mid forwards. Teams would just load up on smalls in their forward line if we used that back 6.

Gibson, despite what some seem to think, will still be needed to help out with the opposition's KP forwards this year. Schoey, Stratts and to a lesser extent Gilham aren't able to completely hold out a decent KP forward without some sort of help the way we know Gibbo can do it basically on his lonesome. So either Gibbo plays on the big forwards or helps out with the chop outs and takes a 3rd tall, either way, it then really only leaves Birchall and Guerra from your back 6 who can play on the smalls/mids - and you'd wan't one of them to be your main rebounding weapon coming out of defense too, which would leave their opponent open for much of the game.

So, one of Gilham or Schoey has to be left out IMO, for a more agile player who can apply tackling pressure like a Puopolo, Whitecross, Murphy or possibly a Suckling type. Between Gibson, Stratton and one of either Schoey or Gilham (depends on if your view is to start getting the experience into Schoey now, or go with the more experienced Gilham at the expense of developing Schoey), they should be able to handle any opposition tall forwards, which allows us to utilize 3 smaller, more agile and attacking players down back to compliment these big men.

I am with you 100% illnino. Too cumbersome up back. Need a mop and bucket small attacking defender in that mix. Wouldn't it be nice if Amos Frank is a ready-made small forward and we could thrown Cyril up back.

A lot of assumptions being made that Gilham will be the player he was when he comes back. If he has lost any agility and speed following his knee reco he could be cooked as he can't afford to lose any.

I have Schoey in the side ahead of him. Other than the chest mark blunder Schoey was very solid in the prelim. He will only get better and better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2012 - your best 22's, your forward structures and team set-ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back