Sydney: 25,406 (6)
Melbourne: 25,204 (8)
North Melbourne: 24,675 (8)
Brisbane: 22,848 (7)
Western Bulldogs: 21,992 (6)
Gold Coast: 12,411 (7)
GWS: 9,414 (8)

It's supply v demand.
With a 100,000 seat stadium, supply wins.
If our stadium held 40K, it would be full every week and impossible to get tickets.

No, your crowds would be well under capacity and you'd be complaining that your supporters hate it and it's got no atmosphere, even though it's just down the road and has a roof.

No, your crowds would be well under capacity and you'd be complaining that your supporters hate it and it's got no atmosphere, even though it's just down the road and has a roof.
Yeahnah.
Victorians are fussy because we have choice and can be.
It would be a different mindset if capacity was an issue.
If Freo had a 100,000 stadium, crowds would be up and down as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest ever home and away crowd for a Adelaide crowd. Great turn out by both fans. Would of been 45,000 Collingwood fans and around 8-9,000 crow fans who made the trip. Helped that it is still school holidays too

The crowd was 85,197, a touch under the 86,179 that attended the 2008 fixture.

The last 11 Hawthorn V Geelong home and away fixtures have now drawn an average crowd of 73,200...

If you pool together the two Geelong V Hawthorn crowds for the season it's a chance to be the highest drawing fixture for the season (161,497 across two fixtures). As far as the discussion on rivalry is concerned it probably needs a major knockout final and/or another Grand Final to solidify itself as an enduring major rivalry...

It was a great crowd that's for sure, but Geelong/Hawthorn has 0% chance of being the highest drawing fixture for the year, given that it's already behind Collingwood/Carlton.

Hawthorn v Geelong: 76,300 + 85,197 = 161,497
Collingwood v Carlton: 84,247 + 78,224 = 162,471

Fixtures with a realistic chance of topping these are:

Richmond/Carlton: need a further 81,501
Richmond/Essendon: need a further 78,238
Collingwood/Essendon: need a further 69,098

Collingwood and Hawthorn would need a tad over 90K which is out of reach.

For context, the 2 Geel/Haw games this year are currently the second highest combined total ever not to feature Collingwood. Only Carlton/Essendon in 1995 is higher (161,753).

Port Adel vs Hawthorn - 23,748
Geelong vs Melbourne - 23,172

Pretty good turnout at Simonds today considering the very wet conditions - compared to a game played in similar conditions last year vs Port only had just over 13,000

Port Adel vs Hawthorn - 23,748
Geelong vs Melbourne - 23,172

Pretty good turnout at Simonds today considering the very wet conditions - compared to a game played in similar conditions last year vs Port only had just over 13,000
Fans must be loving that rebuilt stadium.

Richmond v GC - 11,197
Carlton v StKilda - 30,949
Brisbane v North - 18,131

The Cairns match was the highest of the three played there. All 3 games were basically sold out. Obviously a niche market that is well worth someone giving it a go next year now that Richmond are done.

Mayb
Richmond v GC - 11,197
Carlton v StKilda - 30,949
Brisbane v North - 18,131

The Cairns match was the highest of the three played there. All 3 games were basically sold out. Obviously a niche market that is well worth someone giving it a go next year now that Richmond are done.

Maybe Melboure could look into it

The smallest ever Carlton V Saints attendance at the Dome. Losing to the Pies disheartened the Blues.

It would appear so I think. Although a win last night may have rejuvenated a few fans. We're getting to that time of year when teams' crowds will start to drop off when finals hopes are dashed etc. If North had've won last night I would've said next Friday could've drawn 40k+. Now, that may be out of reach.

Next, 18k at the Gabba? Looked like a terrific crowd :confused: The crowds there are so hard to read....

Here are some (probably) irrelevant stats that I found interesting in terms of % increase/decrease from last years crowd:
Brisbane (+9.4%), Essendon (+8.9%), Fremantle (+5%), Geelong (+34%), Port Adelaide (+31.6%) and Richmond (24.6%) have all sean significant increases whilst,
Adelaide (-10.3%), Gold Coast (-9%), GWS (-13%), Melbourne (-12%) and Western Bulldogs (-5.7%) have all seen significant decreases.

Another example that good form/expectations of finals/wins will result in bigger crowds, and vice versa.
The only outlier I can see is Gold Coast. But when looking at who they've played, they've had all low-drawing opposition, except the Lions, which was played in horrendous conditions. Games against Collingwood and Carlton in the next two weeks should be enough for their final season average to be up slightly.

The smallest ever Carlton V Saints attendance at the Dome. Losing to the Pies disheartened the Blues.
The rain would have been the main factor. Would have been 35-36,000 if the weather was more reasonable. Wait til you see today's Essendon V Bulldogs crowd. Bulldogs home game, rain, live FTA and no appeal will mean a shocking turnup. If Collingwood can only get 32,000 against the Dogs and the Tiges 29,000 on a Sat night I struggle to see any possibility of 30,000+ today.I don't know what the record low Bulldogs V Essendon Dome crowd us but it will probably be today. Only a week ago 41,000 to Port for Sunday twilight won't be repeated today! How the factors impact attendances I guess.

The rain would have been the main factor. Would have been 35-36,000 if the weather was more reasonable. Wait til you see today's Essendon V Bulldogs crowd. Bulldogs home game, rain, live FTA and no appeal will mean a shocking turnup. If Collingwood can only get 32,000 against the Dogs and the Tiges 29,000 on a Sat night I struggle to see any possibility of 30,000+ today.I don't know what the record low Bulldogs V Essendon Dome crowd us but it will probably be today. Only a week ago 41,000 to Port for Sunday twilight won't be repeated today! How the factors impact attendances I guess.

I think it will get 35,000 easy. Will be a big Essendon turnout today.

They played in an indoor stadium rain has nothing to do with it well it shouldn't and it wasnt that bad like torrential rain....
Who knows what the turnout will be for bombers V dogs perhaps around 35k, the tiges v dogs got around 30K and pies v dogs 32K but as its essendons home ground too i think it will b around the 35K mark...
Last week u guys got 40K against port which was a terrific crowd....

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back