Unofficial Preview 2013 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With the under 18 championships underway I thought it might be time to start up a draft watch thread! Obviously we will be taking Luke McDonald in the first round but I still believe there will be some very solid prospects available inside the top 50 or 60. It will be interesting to see which direction we go, as we have some definite needs. The first being a relentless and creative crumbing small forward and the second being a big bodied key defender.

I haven't had the chance to watch much under age footy at this stage but hopefully in the 2nd half of the year I'll get to a few games and start giving some feedback!

This from Sin City on small forwards:

Jack Billings, Dwayne Wilson and Christian Salem will probably increase their time in the midfield this year but they're all very handy goal sneaks when playing forward.

Clayton McCartney from Dandenong is one worth keeping an eye, very skilful and creative.

Willy Rioli is a very talented small forward, needs to work on his fitness and body shape but is one who could kick bags of goals.

Jay Kennedy-Harris starred in the TAC cup GF and will be very interesting to watch this year to see if he can display that form consistently.

Can probably put a line through Billings, he'll be gone. Kennedy-Harris might be there around our second pick. McCartney kicked six goals in the first match of the championships. Rioli could be anything. It'd be nice to have one, anyway.

Garlett will obviously be there for the taking. I'd love to see us take him. Very excited to be having the Duke finally join the team for real as well.

No room for two small forwards with the interchange cap coming in. And don't tell me that Lindsay can play up the ground. He can, but he shouldn't.

I wouldn't be too fussed if we traded away our 2nd pick. If not, I just want more blokes with skill.

This from Sin City on small forwards:

Can probably put a line through Billings, he'll be gone. Kennedy-Harris might be there around our second pick. McCartney kicked six goals in the first match of the championships. Rioli could be anything. It'd be nice to have one, anyway.

Garlett will obviously be there for the taking. I'd love to see us take him. Very excited to be having the Duke finally join the team for real as well.

Garlett isn't really a traditional small forward but has played that role at some stages. It would be a huge addition if we did go with Garlett. McDonald Garlett would be a pretty impressive 1-2.

I think we really need to add all round midfield prospects. Blokes who can play inside and out.

No room for two small forwards with the interchange cap coming in. And don't tell me that Lindsay can play up the ground. He can, but he shouldn't.

I wouldn't be too fussed if we traded away our 2nd pick. If not, I just want more blokes with skill.
Shit Freo are stuffed most of their forward line are small forwards..

Yeah tell that to geelong.
Thomas isn't a crumber - more of a small/medium forward.

Paging Pykie - thread has his name all over it.

Very interested in what people think we need more than who we should get.

Not sure what the clubs plans are for McMahon and Firrito are for our current playing list - do we need to draft in some medium sized defenders for the future?

There is if you don't play 3 talls in the forward line. We need crumbers and blokes that can lock the footy in. Because patch and wright aren't really doing a good job at it at the moment!

Shit Freo are stuffed most of their forward line are small forwards..

Walters and Ballantyne are different players to Thomas. They can be just as effective starting on the wing and running forward. Thomas isn't so much of a run and carry type.

There is if you don't play 3 talls in the forward line. We need crumbers and blokes that can lock the footy in. Because patch and wright aren't really doing a good job at it at the moment!

Almost every team in the comp either plays 3 talls + 1 ruck or 2 talls + 2 rucks.

Lindsay is a marking small forward. I reckon there is room for Eddie Betts type forward next to him. And it will help improve our press as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year when I went to Hobart for the Roos V Eagles game we had to go via Melbs & whilst waiting for our flight back to Adelaide I found a pretty much brand new Sherrin footy sitting on its lonesome outside the men's toilets near our flight gate. I watched it sitting there for over an hour & just as we were about to board I grabbed it & shoved it in my back pack.
The name written on the footy was William Rioli.

Lets get him.

So dose any one have the fixture, times and dates of the championships?

On the afl website somewhere.

Gee I reckon that Tom Boyd and Josh Kelly are going to be players just watched a few highlights then. Boyd will be a similar physical specimen to Patton once he fills out! Huge unit!

Kelly is smooth!

Hard to pick who will go number 1 this year. Everyone seems to think Aish but he has a few breathing down his neck especially with his recent injury concerns.

I'd jus like us to get the best player available. I think our list is pretty well balanced.
Should be together for a while yet. No glut of retirements coming up.

any free agents we thinkin about? of course, we'd all love daisy off half back, i reckon we should offer him big bucks to come join us. scott was around when daisy was at collingwood, maybe he likes brad?

Kennedy-Harris' game from the weekend:

Jay Kennedy – Harris :

Continues to impress with his run and carry, whilst finishing with 25 disposals at a disposal efficiency of 76%. Wins just at much contested ball as he does uncontested. Took 6 marks (1 contested), 3 clearances, 5 inside 50’s, 1 goal and 5 score assists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview 2013 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back