List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of FA we have done pretty well given who was available. Betts and Pods absolutely fill needs and cost nothing. I believe the fruits of our drafting / trading from the last 5 years or so have pretty much evolved and are now in place - essentially the core of our next flag tilt . CEY is perhaps the only one left with ? And the potential to be part of that group.

This season was an important step in weeding out some of those players who we were relying upon but would not step up, and in their place, the last group of kids have stepped up. We now have a nice spread of first round picks (+ a few who would have been - crouch/brown) as well as later picks who have blossomed ( Grigg/ Sloane). I think we have a very good side when all on the park.

I think where we are now deficient is really young kids with potential. I think all we have outside of CEY is Atkins and Siggins. Our reserves side is shaping as a semi dads army of depth players - Graham, Jaensch, Martin, Porps, Tambling, + some higher quality players who may be pressing but just missing out - Wright, Lyons, etc.

For the last few years there has been some real excitement in following developing players in the SANFL - but their time has pretty much come. Edwards will be a welcome addition in this regard. we've reached a point I believe , where our best side is more or less settled ( with some additions) and we need to be ready for a decent flush out next year and load up on draft picks.

Oh and bring back Gibbs as a FA.
Really good summary of our list. I touched on it a while ago, but this year should have been the ideal year to cut dead wood and replenish our list due to:
  • having finished low on the ladder,
  • having two rookie upgrades and
  • minimal retirements.
Unfortunately our draft sanctions put an end to that.

Christian Salem looks to be another good user by foot who might be around at 20 if we trade Bernie. I'd like either him or Battersby (or Freeman/Dumont if they slide) at 20.

Rory Lobb. Darcy Cameron or Rendell's nephew at 42.

I can't see Freeman getting picked at 20 he's probably in the top 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salem looks ok - would need to slide a bit, and he's a Vic Metro kid which is supposedly a no no for us.

But CC, if that's who we're into then well and good, they know their stuff

That kid Darcy Hourigan from the Panthers really impressed me during the U18's carnival, fair lump of a lad and a very accurate kick, would have thought he was KPF worth a look, don't know where he's expected to go in the draft but??? Would be interested where some of the draft "experts" see him going at??

We should have had $1.5 - $2 million a year spare in our salary cap if we delist Tambling and Stiffy, trade Bernie plus the $850K a year that was set aside gor $kirt. This doesn't include the extra cash freed up by front loading contracts last year.

We should have been able to make a grandfather offer to at least 2 if not 3 free agents (or matched the Sydney deal for Buddy but he would never come to Adelaide). We have spent an extra $100-150 K a year to get Eddie but seemingly have not moved on any of the other free agents. Either

a) our players are receiving well above their market value
b) we are not using 100% of the cap or
c) we have something huge planned next year (which will no doubt fall over).

My guess is that we will end out "saving" the money but Triggy will assure us that we have done everything possible to improve our list.
If this is the case the question needs to e asked if we are saving money to pay for the fines. I hope it is c) but I do doubt it.

I'd hope Danger has a decent cut of it, and Sloane. Hendo probably got a payrise on his 3 year deal. Still only partially covers it, but has to be included.

Vince isn't signed, sealed, delivered yet either.
But they all signed prior to Tippett leaving. They may have got more money but should only have been front loaded on their existing contracts.

But they all signed prior to Tippett leaving. They may have got more money but should only have been front loaded on their existing contracts.

If it doesn't get used immediately and id just distributed among current contracts it is essentially saved for use at a later time (e.g. $500k we frontload this year is $500k we don't have to spend next year).

I don't mind doing that if we have a plan to poach someone next year.

If it doesn't get used immediately and id just distributed among current contracts it is essentially saved for use at a later time (e.g. $500k we frontload this year is $500k we don't have to spend next year).

I don't mind doing that if we have a plan to poach someone next year.
I have been approached by the Club, and I am due a payrise.

Pick 20 for Bernie still feels like a 'dance with your sister' consolation prize...

I know theres alot of water to go under the bridge but surely, our doyen gurus in charge are orchestrating something big behind the scenes...

At the end of the day we need to be greedy and try to get another Brad Crouch.

Getting pick 20 doesn't cut it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back