List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say whilst I see the need to get in the second round and possibly Polec, and given his age he seemed a good candidate, trading Vince doesn't sit comfortably. We've lost too many players and now we've packed the bags of one of our favourite players.

We can all live in fantasy land and believe the spin that we haven't been shopping players but that's bullshit. We've said for a year that we want to trade into the early rounds, well how do you do that without trading players?

Players aren't dumb and if other clubs come knocking will their loyalty keep them here? Why, when we've shown we don't believe in it.

oh come one, FFS this board is bi-polar sometimes.

every other club in the comp trades players for some reason or another - ****ing hell, Collingwood is about to trade Heath Shaw.

The simple fact is that the Crows rightly don't see Vince as part of their future, Melbourne on the other hand need the Vince type of player.

The Crows would be stupid to offer Vince a deal of that magnitude and rightly let Vince take a better deal rather than hold on to him.

not everthing has to be a anti-afc conspiracy theory or some drama filled deterioration of Club unity.

every other club in the comp trades players for some reason or another - ******* hell, Collingwood is about to trade Heath Shaw.

The simple fact is that the Crows rightly don't see Vince as part of their future, Melbourne on the other hand need the Vince type of player.

The Crows would be stupid to offer Vince a deal of that magnitude and rightly let Vince take a better deal rather than hold on to him.

not everthing has to be a anti-afc conspiracy theory or some drama filled deterioration of Club unity.

Doesn't fit their agenda ;)

every other club in the comp trades players for some reason or another - ******* hell, Collingwood is about to trade Heath Shaw.

They do? I don't see too many contracted players being traded. Shaw is being traded for being a bad influence, the two aren't comparable.

Melbourne knew to target Vince because we invited them to.

And Peter J, do you think pick 23 is going to win us a flag?

This should just be the start of an overhaul of our list - over the next week and then the next 2 years we should be rid of Jaensch, Martin, Porplyzia, MacKay , Reilly, Rutten, Riley, Callinan , Thomson, Shaw ( unless he gets on the park), Graham, Johncock, - possibly McKernan and Tambling too.

Our reserves side next year will be an embarrassment - it won't be a development nursery at all, more like one of those second hand car yards on Main North Road.

They do? I don't see too many contracted players being traded. Shaw is being traded for being a bad influence, the two aren't comparable.

Melbourne knew to target Vince because we invited them to.

And Peter J, do you think pick 23 is going to win us a flag?
No by himself of course not. But Vince is the poster boy for a brigade of failed senior players that must be culled in order for us to win a flag.

Individually? Since 09 his possession count average has dropped every single year. Why should we accept that - because he's a good bloke?

It's funny that a lot of posters complaining that we were playing it safe with our trades, are now criticising the Vince trade.

Vince was one of my favourite players. Could win a game off his own boot. But let's be honest, those games are few and far between.

I didn't want to see him go, but for pick 23? For a 28 year old B grader? You do it in a heartbeat. Vince can easily be replaced, but getting back into the draft ensures we won't continually be punished for generations for the Tippett debacle.

We have a shot at one of the best 25 kids in the country. I'd take that over 3 more years of diminished returns from Vince thanks.

Wish him all the best and sad to see him go, but the Club made the right call.

Crows trade a player and people bitch about trading a favourite son (an under performing one with bad knees at that in a position in which we have a SURPLUS of players)

Crows don't trade and we're not proactive enough

**** me dead. Can't win

This is a win for ALL parties. Melbourne get experience, Bernie gets $ and we get a decent pick to play with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He favourited a tweet from his mate that was critisizing the Crows for giving Podsiadly a 2 year deal and only giving LJ 1. So people are guessing he's PO'd/sulking and will want to leave.

Right. Well if he was a half decent contested mark we may not have had to get JPod in. Seems to have attitude problems. Shame, can kick.

What shits me is that it's the players that wanted the system overhauled. The wanted to be able to chase $, so now we have players walking out left, right and centre - kids that have played 2 games walk out and nominate their club!!

So a player leaves for big $ and it's like - oh good on him, has to look after himself, not long in the game.

But shit, when a club is proactive in managing their list, suddenly it's all about loyalty - bullshit. It's a business and as always it's the employer who's always the bad guy.

So come end of next year and Vince has pi....ed away another season and we need money for Gibbs, we say sorry Bernard we need to cut your pay relative to performance - and GWS double it for 3 years - what will he do? He walks of course.

Nah - support the club 100% with this call

No but holding onto players who could walk for nothing next year when we give them a one year contract extension isn't either. Do we continue to be nice and not hard edged...Collingwood is going to clean up again at the trade table for the second time in two years because they are prepared to move players on who won't win them a flag...like Shaw.

I hate it that it had to be Bernie that was the one to show that we mean business, but that's the way footy is going like it or not. We have seen contracted players move. NDS to the Saints just the other day. It will happen more and more often especially when they take away the compo picks for FA in the next couple of years. Bernie's dad had it right that our sanctions from Muppet and Trigger have had something to do with him leaving, but only a small part.

As for Johnston...be POed about a one year deal. If you get the shits up it will be the last year of AFL footy you'll ever play. Take it as well Pods is here I'm 10 years younger I'll work my ass off and keep him out of the side or take his place in the side/

No but holding onto players who could walk for nothing next year when we give them a one year contract extension isn't either. Do we continue to be nice and not hard edged...Collingwood is going to clean up again at the trade table for the second time in two years because they are prepared to move players on who won't win them a flag...like Shaw.

I hate it that it had to be Bernie that was the one to show that we mean business, but that's the way footy is going like it or not. We have seen contracted players move. NDS to the Saints just the other day. It will happen more and more often especially when they take away the compo picks for FA in the next couple of years. Bernie's dad had it right that our sanctions from Muppet and Trigger have had something to do with him leaving, but only a small part.

As for Johnston...be POed about a one year deal. If you get the shits up it will be the last year of AFL footy you'll ever play. Take it as well Pods is here I'm 10 years younger I'll work my ass off and keep him out of the side or take his place in the side/

I would be spending a lot of time picking his brain, never stop learning!

I would be spending a lot of time picking his brain, never stop learning!

If he has any...yes exactly. Should be happy he got offered a 1 year deal, works hard in 2014 and gets it extended. Pods has already stated if younger players are demanding his spot he'll step aside. Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't running the fitness side of things by 2016.

When I call you a peanut, what's my agenda?

I presume:
  • Item 1: Spark conflict between BigFooty Adelaide Crows board members regarding Bernard Vince trade to Melbourne FC for Colin Sylvia compensation pick.
  • Item 2: Ensure spexau is fully aware that his status of BigFooty forum participant is equal to a peanut.
  • Item 3: Write itemised agenda.

It's clear that Vince was our Betts this season - we wanted to keep him, but not at the price he wanted after the offers from Melbourne and others. He was given a choice to make, and he made it, same as Betts did.

However, unlike Betts we had warning - this enabled us to trade him now, for a real draft pick, whereas if we had let it go on to next season we faced the prospect of getting a second round compensation pick, or even worse nothing at all for him in the event that we haul in another free agent or compensation is removed from the system.

Simple business, I guarantee you nobody is upset or angry about it, and at most Vince would be a little disappointed we didn't want him ($for$) as much as the Demons.

Completely random (and almost certainly stupid) idea I had floating around in my head earlier today, which I haven't thought about enough to recognise the problems with it, but how does this sound.

Get rid of trade week altogether (other than free agency), or only allow picks to be traded. If a player wants to leave a club, they nominate for the draft, and whatever pick a club takes them at, the player's previous club gets an immediate selection afterwards. That way you can be pretty sure the club is getting market value in terms of the pick receives. The player can nominate contractual conditions, just as before.

Of course, you lose some fluidity with this system - clubs don't have the option to swap picks when trading for a player, or whatever. But that would probably make things simpler anyway.

Not that the AFLPA would ever allow it to happen.

I see your thinking, in trying to solve the problem of establishing market value for FA compo

Only thing is I don't see it as actually a problem that needs solving. its a solution without a problem to fix

Yeh well I'm not sure the AFC would have been thrilled with Bernie doing three fifths of f-all since winning our B&F so...swings and roundabouts.

Glad we are shot of him and I hope it's made very clear to the players who remain that you're either 100% in, or you're out.

To be honest if we gave Bernie a 4 year contract $450,000 we would all be whingeing. Even the lobotomy like AFC apologists Mattrox and The Crows Bullshit wouldn't be happy about that one.

Yeah whilst I wanted more from the trade (think Vince>Sylvia) I am happy with the club for making a hard choice. Even if it was motivated by trigg (think this is why we got slight unders) we need to be proactive. We got more for Vince this year than we would have next. And there is still some movement to come next week I think.

If we don't secure any more players or extra picks in the last week of trade period. I hope we try and exchange draft picks to move us up the draft order

Examples

Gws get pick 23 in exchange for pick 21

Hawthorn get pick 21 in exchange for pick 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back