List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely random (and almost certainly stupid) idea I had floating around in my head earlier today, which I haven't thought about enough to recognise the problems with it, but how does this sound.

Get rid of trade week altogether (other than free agency), or only allow picks to be traded. If a player wants to leave a club, they nominate for the draft, and whatever pick a club takes them at, the player's previous club gets an immediate selection afterwards. That way you can be pretty sure the club is getting market value in terms of the pick receives. The player can nominate contractual conditions, just as before.

Of course, you lose some fluidity with this system - clubs don't have the option to swap picks when trading for a player, or whatever. But that would probably make things simpler anyway.

Not that the AFLPA would ever allow it to happen.

You're right, the AFL PA would never go for it but it makes sense.

The only problem I can see at this stage would be the location the player ends up at. Most players ask for a trade to go home. If the player who was entering the draft could nominate a state they wished to play in would help remove that unknown location of where they would end up at.

Let's use Polec as an example. If he could nominate SA, I can still see the Brisbane Lions getting between pick 20 and 30 as if the crows passed him at pick 23, I doubt Port would pass him at 30 as I get the feeling both clubs want him.

It would also increase the market value if some if a bidding was to happen as clubs would try and grab that player with their first pick.

Would that constitute restraint of trade ?? I like the idea though.

All they need to do is remove the ability to choose a specific club and only enable them to identify a state to play in, they could give preferences(for those moving in Vic) but the player would not need to sign off on the trade for it to be complete. This would only need to occur for out of contract non FAs.

Player signs trade agreement nominating a state.
Player nominates contract terms
Teams indicate if they would match the terms
Negotiations occur between teams
Best deal wins.

I don't mind that players can, in some ways, choose their club. They don't get to choose where they're drafted and, let's face it, they are the reason we watch the game. They deserve some control over where they ply their trade.

Though, free agency definitely needs tightening up. That Hawthorn can only get pick 19 for a player worth over a million a season, is absurd. Now they're talking about scrapping the compo pick altogether. Imagine losing a Danger or a Sloane in a couple of years and getting nothing in return. Horrible.

That's bullshit, Alex.

Don't fall for the gospel of one of the members of the Port Propaganda Machine (Tredrea and Rucci).

Noble said on Trade Radio that Melbourne approached Vince with a 4 year deal which set him up for the rest of his football career. Roos confirmed that. As Vince was a free agent at the end of next year the club advised Melbourne that it would trade Vince for a fair deal, as it would get nothing for him if he left the year after.

Noble is not a liar

Apparently he is if you listen to Bernies old man.

My dad wouldnt know about my job movements until after i made them, i am sure many other people are the same.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My dad wouldnt know about my job movements until after i made them, i am sure many other people are the same.
And I'm sure many other people are different. No real knowing whether the story is true or not, Vince would be one of the few with the answer and I doubt we'll be hearing that from him.

Can't see it really makes much difference at this stage. It's a rare win-win-win trade.

Melbourne gets the experienced midfielder with elite disposal skills they were looking for.

Bernie gets the contract and financial security he wouldn't have got at Adelaide, as well as the chance to lead a talented young midfield.

Adelaide gets pick 23 for an inconsistent 28-year-old with dodgy knees who would be our 5th best midfielder at the very most and a free agent at the end of next year.

It might be an apparently thin draft but it's a good year for SA kids and we've picked up pretty good players (Sloane, Grigg, Kerridge) with lower picks than 23 in recent years.

Trading is about needs, not being fair and equitable.

He would be annoyed at certain people no doubt but ultimately he has made the move and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't want it. My only concern is that Bernie is a much loved figure internally and also by most fans, I doubt its a major destabilising factor but it could be.

Its probably been mentioned but if Dayle Garlett is around at pick 23 do we take the punt ?? In the unlikely event of gaining a top 15 I pose the same question. Or do we take the best available regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be annoyed at certain people no doubt but ultimately he has made the move and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't want it. My only concern is that Bernie is a much loved figure internally and also by most fans, I doubt its a major destabilising factor but it could be.

Its probably been mentioned but if Dayle Garlett is around at pick 23 do we take the punt ?? In the unlikely event of gaining a top 15 I pose the same question. Or do we take the best available regardless.
It's been said that the Sainters are looking taking him with #24 or #25, although that sounds like the worst club for him to go to with all their previous issues.

I have heard that Vince is pissed off at the AFC.

Yeh well I'm not sure the AFC would have been thrilled with Bernie doing three fifths of f-all since winning our B&F so...swings and roundabouts.

Glad we are shot of him and I hope it's made very clear to the players who remain that you're either 100% in, or you're out.

Yeh well I'm not sure the AFC would have been thrilled with Bernie doing three fifths of f-all since winning our B&F so...swings and roundabouts.

Glad we are shot of him and I hope it's made very clear to the players who remain that you're either 100% in, or you're out.

I disagree with that. If you watch a lot of games Bernie is one of the hardest players at the ball and he is a tough as nails tackler. If it makes you feel better about him going by bagging him go ahead. but he was a far better then average player.

I disagree with that. If you watch a lot of games Bernie is one of the hardest players at the ball and he is a tough as nails tackler. If it makes you feel better about him going by bagging him go ahead. but he was a far better then average player.

My problem was not necessarily with his effort from siren to siren. There is a lot more to getting the best out of yourself than having a crack for two and a half hours on a Saturday arvo.

Also, our best and fairest rankings suggest that our coaching staff did not consider him a far better than average player.

Guys like Bernie don't leave their clubs often. He LOVES the club, is loved, loves his home and was desperate for a flag with Adelaide. Desperate.

I want to think that it was a straight line matter of life security for him, but I am quietly worried. We've just lost far and away one of our most popular and marketable players, and a quintessential crow with all of his roots here and on the Peninsula. But we sign Reilly for another two seasons. It is a little disconcerting.

At his best he was better than average. We just didn't see that consistently other than 09. That's what made him an average player

Guys like Bernie don't leave their clubs often. He LOVES the club, is loved, loves his home and was desperate for a flag with Adelaide. Desperate.

I want to think that it was a straight line matter of life security for him, but I am quietly worried. We've just lost far and away one of our most popular and marketable players, and a quintessential crow with all of his roots here and on the Peninsula. But we sign Reilly for another two seasons. It is a little disconcerting.
Wasn't desperate enough on the field IMO.

give it a rest.

Danger,Sloane, Walker, hell even Jenkins has become as popular and as marketable if not more so.

you can't hang on to players just because they might look good in the yearly calender.

Have to say whilst I see the need to get in the second round and possibly Polec, and given his age he seemed a good candidate, trading Vince doesn't sit comfortably. We've lost too many players and now we've packed the bags of one of our favourite players.

We can all live in fantasy land and believe the spin that we haven't been shopping players but that's bullshit. We've said for a year that we want to trade into the early rounds, well how do you do that without trading players?

Players aren't dumb and if other clubs come knocking will their loyalty keep them here? Why, when we've shown we don't believe in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back