Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying this for weeks. Didn't get elevated again this week despite a spot opening up in their midfield with Hannebery's injury.

On the plus side, the Swans did select Chunk Jones's younger brother Zac to debut.

Wouldve been mitchell's if he didnt injure his ankle :(

I've been saying this for weeks. Didn't get elevated again this week despite a spot opening up in their midfield with Hannebery's injury.

On the plus side, the Swans did select Chunk Jones's younger brother Zac to debut.
He is injured at the moment... before that I suspect he may have been learning some more defensive play in the 2nds. That said, how much can you really learn flogging the West Canberra U14s in the NEAFL every week? I suppose they just run really deep through the midfield so he has to bide his time.

Throwing in my two cents...

Areas to address:
  1. 1 - A grade Midfielder
  2. 2 - Two polished flankers, HF + HB
  3. 3 - A player to replace Jamar (if Gawn isn't that player)

1. 1 - I think we throw whatever we have at a player like David Mundy, Rory Sloane ect
  2. 2 - Okeefe from Sydney would be nice floating on the HF line to allow players like Kent to develop the correct way through the VFL. Secondly try to bring home one of GWS' young defenders, high potential player who will hopefully flourish as our list progresses.
  3. 3 - Hopefully Gawn is our man, if not Johnathon Griffin from Fremantle is a ready to go option behind Sandi & Zac Clarke.

Areas to address:

1. 1 - I think we throw whatever we have at a player like David Mundy, Rory Sloane ect
  2. 2 - Okeefe from Sydney would be nice floating on the HF line to allow players like Kent to develop the correct way through the VFL. Secondly try to bring home one of GWS' young defenders, high potential player who will hopefully flourish as our list progresses.
  3. 3 - Hopefully Gawn is our man, if not Johnathon Griffin from Fremantle is a ready to go option behind Sandi & Zac Clarke.

Agree with the areas to address in principle. Definitely don't want O'Keefe. He's finished. I think Kent and Salem can be really good half-forwards who will eventually progress into the midfield.

Not that keen on Mundy, doubt Sloane will be a chance to leave the Crows but I definitely agree we need to add a class midfielder asap - something Roos said this week.

Agree with the areas to address in principle. Definitely don't want O'Keefe. He's finished. I think Kent and Salem can be really good half-forwards who will eventually progress into the midfield.

Not that keen on Mundy, doubt Sloane will be a chance to leave the Crows but I definitely agree we need to add a class midfielder asap - something Roos said this week.

Very wishful thinking that we can pick up an A grade midfielder. Okeefe is still getting 30 possessions and snagging a few in Sydneys reserves week in week out. He knows the Roos system and could be a great leader.. Plus potential coaching role post career

Very wishful thinking that we can pick up an A grade midfielder. Okeefe is still getting 30 possessions and snagging a few in Sydneys reserves week in week out. He knows the Roos system and could be a great leader.. Plus potential coaching role post career

What league do Syd reserves play in though? Is it NEAFL? Cause the standard ain't real high (spoke to a mate of a mate who played there for a while)

What league do Syd reserves play in though? Is it NEAFL? Cause the standard ain't real high (spoke to a mate of a mate who played there for a while)

Sorry to intrude.

yeah our ressies do play in the NEAFL and it is woeful. What is impressive with ROK is that he is getting tagged by usually two opponents as away to learn.

Really hope he gets picked up by another team if he wants to continue his career

While getting a truly A-grade midfielder is very tough, we basically got a future one in Tyson, so there are gems to be found in trading. Roos wants to add class midfielders and I trust him to go out and get the best one/s we can.

O'Keefe is plugging along pretty well in the NEAFL but he's lost all his pace and I actually don't think he'd get a game with us next year. Great warrior but not needed for us (unless as an assistant coach potentially if he wants to go down that route).

O'Keefe is plugging along pretty well in the NEAFL but he's lost all his pace and I actually don't think he'd get a game with us next year. Great warrior but not needed for us (unless as an assistant coach potentially if he wants to go down that route).

His game was never based on pace, I think getting him for a year or two as a type of 'player-coach' could be a good idea - even if he's not a regular best 22 (which I reckon he would be).

Areas to address:

I reckon Gary Rohan is worth a look. Depending the Dees don't have to give too much for him. Could be that classy flanker they need.

Okeefe is a waste of time as a player
Would be pushing Tappy/Kent/Salem out of the side for no real reason
Okeefe is a great servant to that club and considering they are in flag contention again if he cant get a game over the likes of B.Jack, Jones and Lloyd then that tells me the swans think he is done

As for this bloke above the swans are lacking pace already no way they get rid of Rohan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure I heard this properly, but last night after the richmond game they were talking about WCE and how Cox won't be there next season. What are the thoughts of the board in regards to getting him on as a ruck coach or even as a player for a season or 2?

I'm not sure I heard this properly, but last night after the richmond game they were talking about WCE and how Cox won't be there next season. What are the thoughts of the board in regards to getting him on as a ruck coach or even as a player for a season or 2?
There would be a massive queue of teams after his ruck coaching services. Can only try.

Ruck coach maybe player **** no
We have Jamar we dont need another +30 ruckmen

Ruck coach maybe player **** no
We have Jamar we dont need another +30 ruckmen
While I too have this train of thought - it's Big Cox. Get him on the list for a year or so then slip him into a coaching role to develop Gawn and Spencer - Seems like a positive step to atleast get him within the fold.

While I too have this train of thought - it's Big Cox. Get him on the list for a year or so then slip him into a coaching role to develop Gawn and Spencer - Seems like a positive step to atleast get him within the fold.

If I were goldcoast then I would chase him as that option because he has 1 year in him at best

Cox will retire an Eagle, no chance he goes anywhere else to play.
If another club gave him the opportunity to get to 300 games with further financial security (i.e. a coaching gig) I reckon he could be tempted.

Areas to address:

I wouldn't be against O'Keefe for a year or Mundy for 2 - but we can't even talk to these guys until Frawley signs.

I wouldn't be against getting ROK to the club. Seems like the Daniel Cross situation to me, only he's a tad older in a much stronger team. He should still be a good for a year of footy. Is a great locker room guy if nothing else.

If Frawley goes I wouldn't be signing anyone that's not a delisted FA, as it would dilute the compensation we get. Would rather take a top 5 pick and trade it for a young gun like Tyson than sign a FA that'll just retire in a couple of years.

I wouldn't be against getting ROK to the club. Seems like the Daniel Cross situation to me, only he's a tad older in a much stronger team. He should still be a good for a year of footy. Is a great locker room guy if nothing else.

ROK is done. He was a great player for the Swans but his body has really slowed down this year.

On another note I would not be remotely surprised if the Swans end up with your first round pick. I am not sure what the trade would be but with the Swans strong midfield and the Demons needing more talented midfielders (along with Paul Roos obvious link to the Swans) I am half expecting one or two of our players to be traded to you guys for your first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back