Rumour 2014 Season Fixture Discussion Thread - Round 1 V Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically we get Sydney + next years bottom 4 (St Kilda, GWS, Brisbane, EssenSADA) twice.

Our interstate trips are against mediocre/beatable sides in West Coast, Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS and Brisbane with a tougher match against Sydney (which is at ANZ rather than the SCG:eek::eek:).

We play all the stronger non-Vic teams in Melbourne, hosting Fremantle, Port, Sydney. No trip down to Geelong. Crows at Adelaide oval is good for me too.

Only negative is getting North under their precious roof, rather than at the G.

We've cleaned up.

The draw is lovely, and if we continue to develop we could be top 4. From there it all depend on how we have learnt from this year and how other teams are travelling. I reckon Freo will be better and the Hawks about the same. We match well with them so we are in there with some sort of an outside chance. Looking forward to 2014.

Agree with the thoughts of most... quick skim over it with my pessimist's hat on (i.e. gave us none of the 50/50's) and ended up on around 12 wins.

I reckon I'd be more cautious about the Lions than most, particularly the game up there. Having Leppa on board means they will have pretty good insight into our weaknesses, and where to beat us. That said, I'd still expect 2 wins.

Realistically expect 14+ wins, ideally 16 and top 4, which is much better than I was thinking prior to the release of the fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goes to show what a farce the AFL is. Gives us an easy draw 'cause we are on the up and when we are up gate $$$ rolls in. Don't get me wrong, I'll take what we got any day of the week, but somehow the AFL sometimes just looks, well, dodgy. Can't wait until we play every team twice - if this ever happens. Until then, I guess we'll just have to deal with the AFL's continuous spin doctoring to fill up their coffers.

In fact it would be interesting to see hypothetically (and objectively) where teams would end up on the ladder should they play each other twice in 2014.

Goes to show what a farce the AFL is. Gives us an easy draw 'cause we are on the up and when we are up gate $$$ rolls in. Don't get me wrong, I'll take what we got any day of the week, but somehow the AFL sometimes just looks, well, dodgy. Can't wait until we play every team twice - if this ever happens. Until then, I guess we'll just have to deal with the AFL's continuous spin doctoring to fill up their coffers.

AFL gets the money for finals and us making the finals gave them a massive payday...They want to make damned sure we get there again, at home, so they give us a draw to ensure we make top-6.

Internally, club aimed for top 6 last year after finishing 12th the year before. Publicly, they hinted at top 8 but didn't commit to that being the goal.

This year, publicly finishing 5th is considered a 'floor' on our expectations and we must get better. Internally, we must be aiming for top 3 I would imagine. Maybe Hardwick is challenging the boys to finish top 2 with a strong run into finals.

For years we've talked about realistic expectations and I think there's strong evidence to suggest the club is setting top 3 as their goal and a prelim as the minimum. As a player, I'd feel pretty motivated by that too, it's not always a burden to have high expectations on yourself.

At the same time, there won't be any repercussions if we stagnate for a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2014 Season Fixture Discussion Thread - Round 1 V Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back