List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was enquiring about greenwood?
IMG_4619.JPG

Not really sure how how Higgins and Waite improve us.

What position does Higgins play in our side? And as for Waite, I can see how he can potentially come good, but just way too much risk involved there - plus, he's 31.
What risk? What have we given up?
Higgins will play between wing and half forward I'd say. Much needed outside run and running goals.

We still have to pay him, and it stalls the development of the likes of Wood. He's 31, why bother?
At the very least depth.
You can't say he wouldn't have been handy earlier in the season when Black was struggling & Tarrant was injured. Brad Scott himself said there was nobody else that could come in.
I would hope that Brown continues to improve & Wood gets a crack but there's no guarantees with either of those guys either.
Tarrant may never come good & the end of Petrie could happen in the blink of an eye.
With our 'window' now open players like Waite are handy to have on the list.
I can't stand the prick, but without having to use a pick or trade players I can see why the club would put an experienced ready to go player like him on the roster.

Eligible for the pre-season draft if he wants to end up at St Kilda.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.
Players who are not in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for unrestricted free agency if they have served at least eight years with the club.
1. Mate a free agent is anyone who is out of contract, if he wants to sign a contract with another club it'll be because North haven't offered him that amount of $$, so why would he sign a contract with another club for North to say, alright we're going to match, when they weren't willing to offer that contract in the first place.
2. You can not trade a free agent, the reason it's called free agency is because it gives the player the choice to leave to whichever clubs they want.
3. A sign and trade occurs when a club wants to sign a player but can't fit them under the salary cap, so if Richmond couldn't afford to straight out pick up Levi Greenwood with pure cap space that would be the option used. Richmond would then offer North a player in exchange for Greenwood to free up cap space, but I'm assuming Richmond would have cap space available as they're in a similar mold to our club.

Clubs cannot make a formal offer to Higgins until the free agency period opens on Friday.
Lots of "Just say we were to..." and "Hypothetically speaking..." going on.

gold...

“A lot of people liked my trade suggestion to get Patrick Dangerfield to the Pies. It involved nine AFL teams, two WAFL teams and most of the SANFL.”

“It also got me blocked by a lot of people on Twitter, but I guess that just comes with the job. You know, tall poppy syndrome and all that.”

most of the sanfl hahaha:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never really liked Higgins. I wonder what position we have offered him that will entice him to join us.

Forward/Back/Wing? He has pace which is good for us, and averaged 20 touches this year which is pretty good. I won't be holding my breath for him to come in and make an impact though, soft as butter and after watching us lose to Sydney because we couldn't stick a tackle, this doesn't seem like the move we should be doing.

26 years old though is the right age bracket I think we should be chasing.
I know soft as butter is a metaphor, but its a bad one to describe any footballer. What proof have you that Higgins in soft?! He's been a really good player for the dogs, even while struggling with his body. Lay off the player abuse would you, given you didn't make it ...

half the people here arnt to positive about Higgins and thats fair enuf thats why its a forum! I think he is better than McMillan but thats just my opinion....

He's out of contract, doesn't that make him an unrestricted free agent? Learn the rules bud.

Also, we were in for Blease in 2012 when he had a strong finish to the year, but he opted to re-sign at Melbourne.
Incorrect.... "Learn the rules bud" might have been a bit premature...

Why are we being a player in this years trade week? I would've thought come the end of 2015 with Petrie most likely done and I would assume some salary cap room (I remember JB said a few years ago that we don't pay anyone over $600k, this might've changed) that Jeremy Cameron could suit the blue and white stripes..... Orrr we could get Waite and Higgins

Why are we being a player in this years trade week? I would've thought come the end of 2015 with Petrie most likely done and I would assume some salary cap room (I remember JB said a few years ago that we don't pay anyone over $600k, this might've changed) that Jeremy Cameron could suit the blue and white stripes..... Orrr we could get Waite and Higgins

Fine first post. That's exactly how it works - we target Jeremy Cameron and voila, we get him. So why wouldn't we just sit on our hands for a year?

1. Mate a free agent is anyone who is out of contract, if he wants to sign a contract with another club it'll be because North haven't offered him that amount of $$, so why would he sign a contract with another club for North to say, alright we're going to match, when they weren't willing to offer that contract in the first place.
2. You can not trade a free agent, the reason it's called free agency is because it gives the player the choice to leave to whichever clubs they want.
3. A sign and trade occurs when a club wants to sign a player but can't fit them under the salary cap, so if Richmond couldn't afford to straight out pick up Levi Greenwood with pure cap space that would be the option used. Richmond would then offer North a player in exchange for Greenwood to free up cap space, but I'm assuming Richmond would have cap space available as they're in a similar mold to our club.
The bolded is incorrect. AFAIK players are a restricted free agent if they're out of contract after 8 years service and unrestricted after 10 years service, there's also something to do with them being in the top 25% of earners at the club, although apparently this might be changing to 6 and 8 years respectively from next year. The only other way a player is a free agent is if they are delisted by the club, not voluntarily delisted. If a player comes out of contract and hasn't met those requirements then they can't just go and sign a contract with a new club, I'm fairly sure contracts run to the 31st of December of the year they expire, which is after the free agency period anyway. If those players want to get to another club then they have to be traded during the trade period and if they're not they can leave when their contract expires and nominate for the pre-season draft.

Levi is NOT a free agent.... If he was delisted by the club then he would become a free agent but that has not and will not happen. The fact that he remains unsigned means that he can either sign with us, or enter the draft. I am happy to be proven wrong on this, but that is my understanding.

He's out of contract, doesn't that make him an unrestricted free agent? Learn the rules bud.

Also, we were in for Blease in 2012 when he had a strong finish to the year, but he opted to re-sign at Melbourne.

You're usually pretty good on this stuff, TD. Uncontracted doesn't mean free agent. The rules are pretty straightforward really.

Fine first post. That's exactly how it works - we target Jeremy Cameron and voila, we get him. So why wouldn't we just sit on our hands for a year?
Valid point, but nothing happens if you write yourself out of it before trying... I'm not against Waite and Higgins by any means, I just think we might be being a little short sighted and I don't want to see any young players development hampered. Also if Cameron did want to leave, would you not think we're as attractive as any other Victorian club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back