List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billie Smedts hasn't come on and doesnt really excel in any specific part of the field. I would pass on him.
If he could develop a really strong defensive game I wouldn't mid him off half forward. I reckon he has good skills and some talent so combine that with defensive intensity and you could get a good defensive forward.

Harsh, but probably true. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my view on LA is that he is one of those players that can dominate at VFL level, but is not up to AFL level.
And as I said to you the other night, proving that he can play a more rounded contested game at VFL level is great for him but doesn't help him get good at what we need him for at AFL, which is a more Gibbo-like outside endurance runner role. He's never going to run through much as a contested mid in the ones and hasn't shown his composure or disposal has gotten any better in his handful of games this year. Sad for him, but he's been overtaken by just about everyone at this point.

1st Pick (Roughly #16) + Basti + LA for Melbourne's Pick #3? Firstly, is that fair and secondly would it ever be considered?

1st Pick (Roughly #16) + Basti + LA for Melbourne's Pick #3? Firstly, is that fair and secondly would it ever be considered?

Yes it would be I reckon. Not sure where I stand on it but mature midfielder with lots of potential + 1st rounder is a decent cost.

LA is essentially steak knives in the deal even though I rate him higher than that.

Higgins as a HF and rotating through midfield adds a bit of class.

Can see him getting games over Adams and Nahas.

As it is our outside players have not all suited up for games pretty much all year.

Yeah and If it means putting him in for the uncertainty the surrounds patch, harvey and nahas, why not?

Our smalls are either injured or suspended

I reckon Melbourne will be more in the market for KPP players for their Pick 3 this time around. Their midfield is still pretty average but they did bolster it a bit last off season.

You would think so. If that deal were to occur, package up #3 and Greenwood for Dangerfield? Assuming Greenwood does intend to leave..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about a guy who averages one goal a game, who has played significant time int he midfield and defence, is only 26 yet has enormous upside as a complimentary small forward to Thomas and Turner. He is an enormous upgrade on Nahas who everyone thinks is close to being in our best 22, and would be a better midfielder than most we would like to throw in there. He averages almost 18 possies over his career, has thrown off the injury concerns that have plagued him and is coming into the prime of his career. I think he would be outstanding, costs us nothing and the only real cost is a spot on the list for a bloke that has a truckload of ability. I really hope we get him. And don't forget the silk in our side, ie Wells, Harvey and Dal, are closer to the end than the beginning.

Absolutely. Whoever gets him, this will be one of those hindsight trades "why the **** didn't we go after him when we had the chance". He has the talent of gun. Get him for little and turn him into one. Will be much easier to do this in a strong team.

We should be more aggressive on top end talent than ever this year.

Harsh, but probably true. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my view on LA is that he is one of those players that can dominate at VFL level, but is not up to AFL level.

And to make a tangential point, he is probably the only player on the North list who wouldn't have done what Boomer did in 'the incident'. It's infuriating that LA won't block or shepherd or even work hard to make a tackle.
Agreed.. We have a few players in the same category. Play well at VFL but offer little when they play in the senior side. IMO, Jacobs and Daniel Currie are in the same category as Anthony. Even Majak as well...

That being said, I'm impressed with Turner. His pressure and ferocity are awesome for someone of his age and experience.

Billie Smedts hasn't come on and doesnt really excel in any specific part of the field. I would pass on him.

Might just need a fresh start - I rated him as the most talented of their kids a couple of years back, just hasn't kicked on. Would certainly take at the right price.

That's how Port kept Boak.

(Not that I at all agree with it or would want us using that tactic)

I think there is a difference between offering the captaincy to someone already at the club (and who was already tipped as a likely successor) and offering it to someone outside the club as a means to join.

I think there is a difference between offering the captaincy to someone already at the club (and who was already tipped as a likely successor) and offering it to someone outside the club as a means to join.
I agree & I don't like the idea of it at all but from what I had heard around town Boaky was as good as gone unless he got the C.

Just need to get him out of that terrible Geelong player development system, right?

Exactly. I loved Billie Smedts in his draft year, but beware the Geelong dregs.

We need a tall defender thats ready to go next year. Between Hawkins and Walker they kicked 8.4 against us and only 2.2 against the Hawks the week before.
Some options are:
Daniel Merrett 195cm 103kg 30yrs old
Sam Rowe 196cm 98kg 27yrs
Nathan Brown 195cm 101kg 26yrs
Michael Hurley 195cm 97kg 24yrs
Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 23yrs
Mitch Brown 195cm 93kgs 26yrs
Sam Frost 194cm 88cm 21yrs
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad