2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Day was amazing today, hasn't produced much this year but you can see the talent he possesses after that game. Hopefully we have a word with him. Apart from him there aren't many decent options out there this year to target, if we can't land someone who has the potential to become a B grade player at least I would just continue to develop our own.

I'd like us try and snare a 24 - 28 year old CHB to fill an age gap that exists b/w Merrett, Patfull & Maguire who will all be 30+ at the start of next season & younger backmen (some may end up in other positions) like Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Cutler, Close, Freeman who will all be 21 or under at the start of the 2015 season :footy:

Perhaps Matt Spangher would like to play regular footy at CHB for the end part of his career after only 7 games @ Hawthorn. He's just turned 27 and has that mongrel in him that all good defensive units have. Perhaps a 4th rounder...
I saw this response earlier, Pears would fit that description from Essendon. Can't get a game in the 4th best defence in the league, buckets of talent and would be a perfect Patfull replacement for you guys. 24 years old, still has 8 years left in him if he stays injury free (which he basically has since the end of 2012).

The only ones I'd look at if the price is right are Frawley, Howlett, Goldsack, Nicholls, O'Rourke, Jaksch and Vickery.

And amazing to think that Sydney are right into Frawley in a big way too. If Sydney pull it off, something clearly isn't quite right unless they are planning on moving on a Reid or one or two other starting players.

And amazing to think that Sydney are right into Frawley in a big way too. If Sydney pull it off, something clearly isn't quite right unless they are planning on moving on a Reid or one or two other starting players.
Is there any evidence of this?
They could retire Shaw, O'Keefe, Goodes, LRT and maybe offload some depth midfielders too. Probably enough room to squeeze in Frawley.... on a 7 year deal :p

I think Swans had a lot of back ended contracts with some of their Vet players, their retirements is freeing up larger amounts of cash than normal. They are using said cash, to lure FA players to the club keeping them right up in top 4 contention. At some point, players shake free. It doesn't matter to the Swans if they are replacing them with better players though.

I saw this response earlier, Pears would fit that description from Essendon. Can't get a game in the 4th best defence in the league, buckets of talent and would be a perfect Patfull replacement for you guys. 24 years old, still has 8 years left in him if he stays injury free (which he basically has since the end of 2012).

Do we know if he was one of the 34 injected with banned drugs?

I wouldn't take the risk in case he happens to get banned by ASADA wouldn't by touching an Essendon players

I like Pears but I feel like for him to come in we'd have to sacrifice someone from the current group. But his age profile is perfect and he can play tall well from what I've seen.

The only issue would be cost I think, as far as I know he's contracted to your team for another season and we probably wouldn't want to give up much at all (we wouldn't have a lot this season that'd be realistic anyways I think).

I feel like if he were to move on of his own accord it'd be back to WA too as I'm not sure if he'd be guaranteed games for a while here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Pears but I feel like for him to come in we'd have to sacrifice someone from the current group. But his age profile is perfect and he can play tall well from what I've seen.

The only issue would be cost I think, as far as I know he's contracted to your team for another season and we probably wouldn't want to give up much at all (we wouldn't have a lot this season that'd be realistic anyways I think).

I feel like if he were to move on of his own accord it'd be back to WA too as I'm not sure if he'd be guaranteed games for a while here.
I think we are fine for defensive talls. Patfull can play for longer than we thing as he is so durable. McGuire should be able to play for another year, hopefully.

I think we are fine for defensive talls. Patfull can play for longer than we thing as he is so durable. McGuire should be able to play for another year, hopefully.

Maguire was the main one I was thinking of really - he's been important for us.

I wouldn't mind Pears cheap as insurance though. Can play tall or small and is a good age. If Merrett, Maguire and Patfull all happen to be finished in 3 years or so then Pears would still have a long time left.

I can't see it happening realistically for a few reasons though.

Maguire was the main one I was thinking of really - he's been important for us.

I wouldn't mind Pears cheap as insurance though. Can play tall or small and is a good age. If Merrett, Maguire and Patfull all happen to be finished in 3 years or so then Pears would still have a long time left.

I can't see it happening realistically for a few reasons though.
Your not worried about ASADA I think were a club that needs to stay away from Drama after last year's debacle with trading

Your not worried about ASADA I think were a club that needs to stay away from Drama after last year's debacle with trading

It's something for the club to think about - if we're talking pure hypotheticals I'd rather just look at him as a footballer.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned him or even what his contractual status is with carlton but how does levi casboult sit on your radar.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned him or even what his contractual status is with carlton but how does levi casboult sit on your radar.
If we hadn't tried Lisle, Paine and Martin (jury still out as forward/ruck rather than pure ruck) i would say maybe. But since we have tried those guys I feel he would be just another mediocre forward/ruck that isn't the answer. He has had patches this year, but is still a long way from consistent and been in and out of the team, considering they are only going marginally better than us, without the crippling injury list, I would be firmly in the no now.

There is no point landing this big forward until we have a midfield who can feed him the footy!

At this stage and not knowing contract situations I would be all over

Ryan O'Keefe- I think you could argue that Tom Rockliff and Pearce Hanley would be the only 2 players in our team who could crack Sydney's line up at the moment. O'Keefe would come to us in an playing/assistant coach (culture) forward line option. We need more role models at our club, O'Keefe is a great option.

Tom Mitchell- We should be all over him like a rash, not sure what his contract situation is but we should be all over him.

Adam Tomlinson- Would be playing for Peanuts at the moment. He isn't your big power forward but a mobile workhorse who would give us a great outside 50m target.

There is no point landing this big forward until we have a midfield who can feed him the footy!

And there's no point developing a midfield to feed a forward that isn't there.

In fact, let's give up this footy club dealio and all go to the pub.

And there's no point developing a midfield to feed a forward that isn't there.

In fact, let's give up this footy club dealio and all go to the pub.

Completely disagree, the dogs nearly got to multiple grand finals on the back of midfield that went forward. I am not advocating that, but a jet midfield allows a team to be very competitive.

Completely disagree, the dogs nearly got to multiple grand finals on the back of midfield that went forward. I am not advocating that, but a jet midfield allows a team to be very competitive.

Simply copying your own logic.

But to be serious for a second, it would just be daft to focus exclusively on one part of the ground, on the basis that a team once almost made a grand final that were really strong in that part of the ground.

The Bulldogs are actually a great example of where that approach failed. They developed a really good midfield without a lot of forward options, made a prelim in 2009, and then went out and got an experienced key forward. They achieved exactly the same with Barry Hall as without him, and then he declined, so did much of the rest of their list, and they found themselves having to rebound from scratch.

What we learnt from the Bulldogs is that even if you're lucky enough to be able to recruit a key forward right at the moment when your premiership window appears to be open (and the Dogs really weren't that close to a flag. A long way behind the premiers in 09 and 10 even if they did make the prelim), you're only giving yourself a really limited window. Everything has to go right at the same time. A lot went right for Western and they still couldn't win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back