2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is possible to win a flag based primarily on an incredible midfield. The side that sticks out to me is West Coast but I reckon you could put Geelong 07 in there too.

But life is a lot easier with a quality key forward.

I think Geelong proved you need a solid defense unit, along with at least servicable forwards. It is unlikely you will have complete midfield dominance in a grand final, you need guys up forward to take a few marks and really capitalise on the mid performance. Mooney was no world beater, but he did the job on the end of a super high calibre midfield.

This is why ive never rated Carlton. Whilst they built a good midfield, they did not have finals quality talls at either end.

Completely disagree, the dogs nearly got to multiple grand finals on the back of midfield that went forward. I am not advocating that, but a jet midfield allows a team to be very competitive.
Also adding to this point, a gun midfield always allows a smoother transition for a young KPF from state to the AFL. I wonder if someone like Close would develop quicker at the Hawks than the Lions? I would think so.

He was behind Buddy and Roughy but in the few games he did play at AFL level they must have been good enough for us to trade pick 30 for him :drunk:
Honestly don't know how we thought that was a good deal.

Needs basis. From memory our recruiters thought that deal provided greater upside than the draft could offer. After pick 29 key position talent consisted of Talia (Michael), Kersten, Rowe (and Blicavs was rookie-listed). Considering the stock of key position players I don't even think hindsight would suggest this was a bad deal at the time, given our need to recuit key position players esp. up forward.

Completely disagree, the dogs nearly got to multiple grand finals on the back of midfield that went forward. I am not advocating that, but a jet midfield allows a team to be very competitive.
To be fair they had Grant, Smith, Darcy and Hudson in that side. Not like they didn't have a forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jones anyone. Would be worth a punt if we could get him from the doggies

Really don't rate him but the last game I saw him play he got subbed at 3/4 time with 1 disposal so maybe I haven't seen the best of him.

Why do you think Darling would be attainable?
He hasn't done a thing since his rookie year. Some Eagles' fans are frustrated and have mooted letting him go for the right price. This year he has played upfield, which is the role he wants to play regularly, but in the last few years he has barely been noted as a forward. He played one of his best games for the year last night (with Kennedy out). Could, maybe, relish being the focal point? I'd certainly be asking the question

He hasn't done a thing since his rookie year. Some Eagles' fans are frustrated and have mooted letting him go for the right price. This year he has played upfield, which is the role he wants to play regularly, but in the last few years he has barely been noted as a forward. He played one of his best games for the year last night (with Kennedy out). Could, maybe, relish being the focal point? I'd certainly be asking the question
Oh ofcourse Darling must be sent away because of the opinion of "some" Eagles fans. :drunk:
Darling has actually been really good in the last couple of seasons. You may not have watched the Eagles but l have. He was getting more goals than Brown in his first several years and still only 21/22?. This year the coach has dragged him upfield which l think is a mistake.

Given their relative importance to their clubs I can't imagine Jones, Darling or Casboult being let go for anything worth paying. You'd be looking at overs for sure.

Carlton are a bit silly but I still reckon they'd want a second rounder for Casboult.

Given their relative importance to their clubs I can't imagine Jones, Darling or Casboult being let go for anything worth paying. You'd be looking at overs for sure.

Carlton are a bit silly but I still reckon they'd want a second rounder for Casboult.
Don't rate Jones one bit, not what we are looking for. Levi might be okay, havent seen enough of him tho. Darling won't be coming to us.

Don't rate Jones one bit, not what we are looking for. Levi might be okay, havent seen enough of him tho. Darling won't be coming to us.

I think Jones has the size and I like him, but like POBT said it's hard to know if he'll ever get it together. Levi has great hands but can't kick, good size though. Just thinking as he's had a bit of a breakout year that he'd be very hard to prise from Carlton's dead hands. Totally agree about Darling.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back