2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL just have no common sense. If anything the pick should be before any of the teams that made finals first rounders.

Personally I think instead of disadvantaging everyone and giving a club a pick, it should be like the Academy / FS process whereby the benefitting club i.e. in this situation, Hawthorn should lose whatever picks some panel decides and in this case, Hawks first two picks to Melbourne and say in the North/Higgins scenario, the Roos are forced to give over their second pick.

But disadvantaging every other club is a joke.

Personally I think instead of disadvantaging everyone and giving a club a pick, it should be like the Academy / FS process whereby the benefitting club i.e. in this situation, Hawthorn should lose whatever picks some panel decides and in this case, Hawks first two picks to Melbourne and say in the North/Higgins scenario, the Roos are forced to give over their second pick.

Hit the nail right on the head, it is two pronged. 1. Prevents other clubs from being disadvantaged and 2. Would potentially cause a team higher up the ladder to consider weather that free agent is worth missing out on future talent to prolong team success.

We just need to stay strong on the Beams front. Hopefully we trade pick 4 and 24 to Collingwood. They then on trade pick 4 and 24 to North for Greenwood and Mullett.

We get Beams
North get pick 5 and 25
Collingwood get Greenwood and Mullett both are out of contract!

why would any club trade for players that are free agents and north Melbourne would receive compo from the AFL as well.

Then it's all just essentially the same as the trade process with the AFL mediating and not free agency. IMO they should just do away entirely with compo picks if it's to be true free agency or at the very least award all band 1 compo picks at the end of the first round, band 2 at the end of second etc.

Then it's all just essentially the same as the trade process with the AFL mediating and not free agency. IMO they should just do away entirely with compo picks if it's to be true free agency or at the very least award all band 1 compo picks at the end of the first round, band 2 at the end of second etc.
Not really cause the player would still be in controll of where he went, not the club. The club would be getting compensation, not market value. So the frawley thing (pick3) couldn't happen in the future.

That's what I like about you, a can dooooooo type.

I am preparing myself for the usual return to work. Geez, as you get older it is harder to 'return to the salt mines'. Fortunately, it is only 9 weeks until my next well deserved break. John, how does a man of your vintage continue to chug along?

Not too worried about the Patfull trade, GWS will pay overs, there might be some short term pain but for the long term we hopefully will get the best out of the deal.

Not really cause the player would still be in controll of where he went, not the club. The club would be getting compensation, not market value. So the frawley thing (pick3) couldn't happen in the future.

Yep, but it will disadvantage the buyer which in turn will turn them off from considering some players in the first place, just not FA at all really.

I think the panel that adjudicates the compensation for free agents has forgotten the point. It is only there compensate not reimburse the club. If clubs can't retain their players, then the rest of the league should not be penalised, they should however be given an opportunity to develop a replacement player and therefore an end of first round draft pick should be the maximum compensation, if they stick to that structure. I personally would be in favour of a system such as the one suggested by dylan12.

Last edited:
I am preparing myself for the usual return to work. Geez, as you get older it is harder to 'return to the salt mines'. Fortunately, it is only 9 weeks until my next well deserved break. John, how does a man of your vintage continue to chug along?
Mortgage the size of a small African nations GDP old mate.

Yep, but it will disadvantage the buyer which in turn will turn them off from considering some players in the first place, just not FA at all really.
Fair enough, just think if it sways the thinking of successfully teams from offering big contracts to major FA ( cause that's how they would determine the picks they would loose, that and age) it might allow a bottom team to poach a big name or keep one and in turn help the with their equalisation measures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the panel that adjudicates the compensation for free agents has forgotten the point. It is only there compensate not rein burst the club. If clubs can't retain their players, then the rest of the league should not be penalised, they should however be given an opportunity to develop a replacement player and therefore an end of first round draft pick should be the maximum compensation, if they stick to that structure. I personally would be in favour of a system such as the one suggested by dylan12.

were you looking for the word reimburse? :p

Not too worried about the Patfull trade, GWS will pay overs, there might be some short term pain but for the long term we hopefully will get the best out of the deal.
A lot of our selections seem tied up already.

Round 1: Pick #5 (Beams)

Round 2: Pick #25 (Beams possibly??)

Round 3: Pick #43 (Liam Dawson; Academy Selection)

Round 4: Pick #62 (Harris Andrews; Academy Selection)

Round TBA: Josh Clayton; Father/Son Selection (Last Selection)

Hence why GWS' Pick #21 will be of interest to us in the Patfull deal. I feel he is worth more than that to us, but it isn't too far off the mark and it enables us to still further recruit a solid player in the draft.

There are a couple of things about the Frawley situation that really irk me:

A) Melbourne have literally been rewarded for mismanaging Frawley's contract (as I mentioned elsewhere)
B) Hawthorn (the reigning premiers) were able to poach one of the worst teams best plays at no cost to them

I can't not see a correlation to the 95% min cap spend not playing a part. Melbourne wanted to keep Frawley, he should have had to take a pay cut to move to the Hawks, not a pay raise!

Still while the compensation seems unfair cause we are getting Bella screwed by it, I'm not sure changing that is the answer. Personally I think a suggestion I saw on the main board that is apparently adopted in the NRL where the top 4 teams get locked out of poaching free agents to stop them raiding the bottom clubs like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back