2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if its been discussed but what do you think Western Bulldogs would be willing to give for Merrett? They've got a couple of second round picks and seriously need more KPDs. Haven't been to their board but from the outset they look like a team that's balls deep in young talent but need to sure up key posts either end to reach the next level.

Probably not much. Fourth rounder, maybe? Schwab seemed to be suggesting the most serious interest, maybe the only serious interest, was from Gold Coast.

Gee, Merrett is being grossly undervalued by some of our own here.

He was the first guy picked in our team a couple of years back, our most important player when he was played in his rightful position. I know he has brain fades from time to time, but I still rank him in the top 6 handful of FBs in the comp. Very few bust-up packs like our Rog does. I still think he has a lot of currency as a FB, and think he has at least 3 years left in him.

He was the first guy picked in our team a couple of years back, our most important player when he was played in his rightful position. I know he has brain fades from time to time, but I still rank him in the top 6 handful of FBs in the comp. Very few bust-up packs like our Rog does. I still think he has a lot of currency as a FB, and think he has at least 3 years left in him.

The problem is there's probably only 2 spots for Merrett, Clarke and Maguire. I'd have Merrett ahead of Maguire though and only trade Merrett if it was quite a good deal.

The problem is there's probably only 2 spots for Merrett, Clarke and Maguire. I'd have Merrett ahead of Maguire though and only trade Merrett if it was quite a good deal.
There are only generally 2 spots when everyone is fit. Over the season you definitely need depth

I agree with all that, and we obviously haven't had anyone better than Rog for FF. But that speaks volumes about Rog's abilities, and it shouldn't in any way detract from his value. The likes of Darren Glass, Brian Lake or Rutten were never asked to endure two seasons out of their optimum and preferred position.

He may no longer be the perfect fit for our team anymore, but let's not disrespect him giving him away for a fourth rounder pick.

Slightly different - Kavanagh "selected" his club pre-draft (like Wingard), so there's early warning signs there. The GH5 were requesting trades.

Where does Kavanagh want to go? A friend who has close links to the bulldogs told me months ago they had a deal in place for him.... is that where he wants to go?

The top 6, or the top 6 handfulls?

Just going through Dan's roster watch thread and it feels like yesterday that he was such a cherished and valuable player for this club. Would love nothing more for him to come out this year and prove us all wrong by having a standout year.

Not wanting to compare mangos with avocados but 30 year old Lars-Malceski has just signed a 3 year deal.

A few years ago we gave up everything including the kitchen sink for a 29 year old a FF with flawed traits. Perception and need is everything.

Rog is still a key position monster, I just think he still has currency for the right team. Clearly finding the right team is the key, otherwise there won't be a trade.

I can also see that we may not have a regular spot for him in our team, and I guess that that is the motivation behind trading him, for his own sake and for ours.

I think Merrett must have aggravated his injured foot a number of times throughout the season, as my observation was that he started the season with plenty of aggression and speed, but this seemed to drop off as the season went on! he then came good again for a few games and then dropped off again.

Having had a similar injury I know it does take a fair amount of time to get back to 100% and losing a few % at that level would have to mess with your confidence and natural flair. Anyway assuming the Patfull deal is done, I think we should keep him, move him back to defence for the year and I think from around the middle of the season we could start to see him get back to his best.

As others have mentioned he will also provide that bit of extra experience our young defenders need around them to take the game on.

I don't tend to think so. You're looking at a guy around the 30 years of age who hasn't played in the backline for over a season and still has a few lingering problems from his leg injuries. I think a late 3rd round or 4th round would be the best we could get for him. Classic case of probably worth more to his team than on the trade table. Still with Leppa in there he may be looking to continue to fastrack our youth so may be a victim of circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha, ******* fingers... meant 'top handful'. Typed in top 6, but thought that that was a stretch perhaps.

Incidentally, who are the best current FBs, and where would FB Rog of 2 years ago rate amongst them?

I guess you mean Merrett of early 2011?

At that time I thought he was one of the best full backs in the league. Right now I doubt he would be in the top 20. Probably not in the top 30. I suspect most clubs would have a couple of full backs better than him, like we do in Clarke and Maguire. Whoever takes him would be gambling that they can bring back the Merrett of three years ago.

My view is that it's the club that's pushing this trade. I don't think they see a role for Merrett going forward, and they'd rather not have him on the list for two more years. If he's not likely to play much in 2015 then it makes sense to try and trade him now.

I disagree that Clarke is a better FB, he is a guy that will potentially be one, and we have rightfully decided to put games into him. Maguire is not a Full Back and has never been one. The only reason Merrett was move to full forward is because he was our best option for the spot, and because we had better cover for him at FB.

Whilst he has not played at full back for the last two and a half years, my personal view (gut feel), is that he has not lost either his ability or his capacity for the position. Unfortunately, i think the only way my opinion will be vindicated is if he is traded, only then will he be played at FB.

As I recall it, Merrett was having a great year at full back in 2012, before his stand-out first half against GWS at FF. There was a lot of discussion in the off season about whether he should be retained at FF. I understand why we've played him out of position, however in the past 2.5 years we've also managed to play him out of form and value.

Would there be 30 full backs?

Damien Barrett is reporting That Collingwood is very keen on the possibility of GWS Giants midfielder Adam Treloar being part of the Dayne Beams deal.

Don't know what to believe with this bloke.

Treloar is highly ranked with GWS

Collingwood are just picking every untouchable on everyones list eg: dangerfield, treloar, redden, Hanley etc and then when they are rejected, they're the ones complaining publicly that everyone else is being unreasonable. Don't think the bombers are the only difficult team to deal with.

Barrett reporting that pies looking at trading beams to gws for treloar. Just scare tactics. What a nob, does Barrett work for Eddie or is he just his weekend gimp. He makes it seem like we are needing to get rid of our pick 5 and one of our talented mids. When karnesis was up for trade last year brisbane were the ones who had to accept what ever deal was placed in front of us and now beams ask for a trade we have to accept the deal that the pies put in front of us.

IMO see you later beams. Good luck pies

O'Rourke nominates Hawthorn. Must be bloody fun being a Hawks fan at the moment. They just don't miss.

Lots of whinging from the Hawthorn fans regarding COLA but it seems they have enough third party deals to get whoever they want. Sure they lost buddy but McEvoy and Frawley would more than account for what he was getting paid without factoring in any of the wage increases that surely go along with being two time premiers.

O'Rourke nominates Hawthorn. Must be bloody fun being a Hawks fan at the moment. They just don't miss.

That really threw me. He's spent the last two years struggling to get a game, and more than likely he's committed himself to spending the next two years struggling to get a game.

Now what on earth can Hawthorn offer in trade for a number 2 draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back