2015 FFA Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

What a woe is us mentality it is to suggest the league hates Perth.

The A-League understands the debt of gratitude it owes Perth Glory. I'm current reading the Stenholt/Mooney book about the first 10 years of the A-League, and in a lot of ways the Glory were the template for every A-League club. I think the A-League understands that, and they certainly understand the imprtance of having Perth in the league.

It doesn't change the fact that they didn't deserve to host the final based on last years result, because last years results were, shall we say "flawed". And it doesn't give them carte blanche to cheat.

And I'm going to scream next time I hear someone say that Perth would've gotten a bigger crowd last night. It's such an easy thing to say when we'll never know. And I'd suggest it's an incorrect thing to say when the whole issue was to do with the ticket prices.

The A-League understands the debt of gratitude it owes Perth Glory. I'm current reading the Stenholt/Mooney book about the first 10 years of the A-League, and in a lot of ways the Glory were the template for every A-League club. I think the A-League understands that, and they certainly understand the imprtance of having Perth in the league.

It doesn't change the fact that they didn't deserve to host the final based on last years result, because last years results were, shall we say "flawed". And it doesn't give them carte blanche to cheat.

And I'm going to scream next time I hear someone say that Perth would've gotten a bigger crowd last night. It's such an easy thing to say when we'll never know. And I'd suggest it's an incorrect thing to say when the whole issue was to do with the ticket prices.

If they charged those prices in Perth we would've got 8-9000 tops.

I think the final was badly timed IMO to close to the start of the season and during the Melbourne Cup carnival where it was never going to get any traction. Would have been better off to have it in early December at a time when the A-League is in a dull after the start of the season and the lead up to Christmas.

It also didn't help that the semis was only just over a week ago so fans had to folk out $$ so soon especially after an underwhelming semi Final against Hume.

Speaking of Hume I think they did a lot to stuff up the moment of the Cup.
Had they played the semi in Broady like they should have they would have gotten a lot more attention and publicity from the community and the media and played in front of a packed home crowd just like what Bentleigh went through last year. Instead they tried to chased the $$ on Victory fans expense, Instead we got a crappy preseason type match at an empty AAMI Park far removed from what the tournament was orginally intendard for.
It really IMO slowed or holted the progression of the Cup that resulted in Saturday night along with the rediculous ticket prices, plus it's the beginning of the season still and most people's focus is on the A-League.

Anyway live and learn the competition is still young and needs to find its feet. It needs some ironing out by the FFA no doubt as well as the fans to be patient as it progresses, no need to be screaming out its "a who cares cup" or a "Micky mouse cup" as I've been reading people proclaim on Twitter. The Tournament is only two seasons old! I'm sure once they get the formula right it will be a worthy addition to the football calendar.

One thing the FFA did get right is the Cup itself it's a beauty! has the dunny seat covered hands down :D

Last edited:
I think the final was badly timed IMO to close to the start of the season and during the Melbourne Cup carnival where it was never going to get any traction. Would have been better off to have it in early December at a time when the A-League is in a dull after the start of the season and the lead up to Christmas.

It also didn't help that the semis was only just over a week ago so fans had to folk out $$ so soon especially after an underwhelming semi Final against Hume.

Speaking of Hume I think they did a lot to stuff up the moment of the Cup.
Had they played the semi in Broady like they should have they would have gotten a lot more attention and publicity from the community and the media and played in front of a packed home crowd just like what Bentleigh went through last year. Instead they tried to chased the $$ on Victory fans expense, Instead we got a crappy preseason type match at an empty AAMI Park far removed from what the tournament was orginally intendard for.
It really IMO slowed or holted the progression of the Cup that resulted in Saturday night along with the rediculous ticket prices, plus it's the beginning of the season still and most people's focus is on the A-League.

Anyway live and learn the competition is still young and needs to find its feet. It needs some ironing out by the FFA no doubt as well as the fans to be patient as it progresses, no need to be screaming out its "a who cares cup" or a "Micky mouse cup" as I've been reading people proclaim on Twitter. The Tournament is only two seasons old! I'm sure once they get the formula right it will be a worthy addition to the football calendar.

One thing the FFA did get right is the Cup itself it's a beauty! has the dunny seat covered hands down :D

I think your spot on giggler.
Stats already suggest the best attendances are ones at tradional venues highlighting the grassroots feel of the cup ie. Heidelberg & Sydney United home ties against the local pro's.

Hume did get greedy no doubt about it. To pay $30 for general admission was a rip and I actually regret going now as it was an average game. $20 and a souva at Heidelberg was much better for a nights entertainment.

Hopefully the FFA learn that this is the battlers tournament for the fans and pricing for last 4 and final should reflect that.

The FFA are a disgrace, they just keep ****ing the game up in this country. It really upsets me how bad they are actually.

I'll never complain about the AFL again

Scream away then.

When you look at the whole event subjectively especially when you factor in events already running in Melbourne it appears little or no serious consideration was extended to the Perth Glory Football Club request the final.

Two teams qualify for a cup final (which should be held at a neutral venue - which we all know is currently next to impossible for the A-league in Australia). Perth indeed had a right to host the final and it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It really doesn't matter know anyway. The FFA cup is done and dusted an consigned the the absolute mockery that it is posing as an unbiased competition and legitimate national cup.

In regards to last season there is no excuse for club management that seriously failed the club and supporters last season but I don't recall the severity of punishment being the same for Sydney FC when they were found to have breached the salary cap a few years back either.

**** the FFA.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scream away then.

When you look at the whole event subjectively especially when you factor in events already running in Melbourne it appears little or no serious consideration was extended to the Perth Glory Football Club request the final.

Two teams qualify for a cup final (which should be held at a neutral venue - which we all know is currently next to impossible for the A-league in Australia). Perth indeed had a right to host the final and it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It really doesn't matter know anyway. The FFA cup is done and dusted an consigned the the absolute mockery that it is posing as an unbiased competition and legitimate national cup.

In regards to last season there is no excuse for club management that seriously failed the club and supporters last season but I don't recall the severity of punishment being the same for Sydney FC when they were found to have breached the salary cap a few years back either.

**** the FFA.

I actually agree with the last sentence!

I'll start with the last bit. We can't really compare the Sydney FC punishment, because 1) they were about 9 years apart, 2) I don't believe the nature of the FC breaches were ever really released, 3) some of the arguments that they made around the weight of games were probably fair enough - even now the FFA haven't really got their head around how to deal with additional games in the FFA Cup and ACL, and 4) - and most importantly - Sydney largely cooperated with the investigation, Perth didn't. In fact they quite arrogantly gave the impression that they thought they had the right to do whatever they liked, undermining the whole competition.

Even if we look at the *alleged* breaches in 09-10 when the beat the Victory (which I should be pissed off about!) those allegations were still a drop in the bucket compared to the massive breaches of the Glory which involved deliberately lying about cars, accommodation, and brown paper bag payments.

-----

The FFA Cup was never a legitimate competition. I think we can all understand why they fudge the draw to ensure a non-A League team makes it to the final 4, but its a dead giveaway before the competition even starts that it's not meant to be fair. Add to that the timing and the allowance for A-League players to serve suspensions in the league, as well as the fact that the FFA didn't consider granting an ACL qualifying spot - for now at least, I don't even think they're trying to fool anyone that this is the FA Cup, they're just trying to make it look like it.

Finally, I take an opposite tack. It's not at all disingenuous to suggest that Perth didn't have a right to host - they had no right whatsoever.. but in the same way, Melbourne didn't have a "right" to host the final either. In a competition that looks even more mickey mouse now than it did a week ago (and infinitely moreso than a month ago) the "right" falls with the FFA to do whatever the **** they want!

The reality was that Fox Sports wanted it in Melbourne, and the FFA thought they'd make a shit load of cash by gouging Melbourne fans.

You haven't actually taken a contrary view to mine I don't think - we're talking around a few of the same issues.

My frustration is with those who suggest Perth had a right to host because of last year (even without the salary cap stuff, last year's results should have no baring on this year), and those who suggest that even with the ticket prices that we in Melbourne faced, Perth would've gotten a better crowd - this is highly, highly unlikely, and as I said it's such an easy thing to say when we'll never know the answer.

And you know what? The more I think about it with the benefit of hindsight, I would've LOVED for them to try and rekindle the NSL days, hosting it at Subiaco, charging 20 bucks each and trying to give the sport a boost - the Glory really need the help at the moment! But again, that's hindsight... we didn't know ticket prices til after the fact, and we didn't really understand how much offence Melbourne fans had taken to the prices til a few days after the semi.

Going forward, I don't know the solution. I think we can all agree that a neutral venue won't work, unless they take a huge risk and play it in Canberra/Hobart/Albury... and cop the associated hit with smaller crowds and a need to charge much less than they did on Saturday. I think we could also agree that a two-leg final is contrary to what the FFA is trying to achieve with the competition.

Although with that said - everything about Saturday night was contrary to what we think they're trying to achieve. If they were trying to create a spectacle, and create a major event, it should've been 25 bucks a head, 50 bucks for families, and something a bit grander than some pre-game drums and a blimp as entertainment.

As it was - I'll defer to what I said previously. Never have I seen a sporting administration in this country **** up a major event so badly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 FFA Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back