2015 FFA Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

EasyBeingGreen

Debutant
Feb 2, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The FFA has announced several changes to this year's tournament, namely the introduction of Saturday night standalone final and a condensed match schedule to favour state league teams so they're not playing so far out of season.

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article...eld-ffa-cup-in-2015/uxluvjd0guvb1co5eocxp1kdk

The standalone Saturday final is a fantastic idea and is just what the competition needed, however I think the condensed fixture is disgraceful. If they want the competition to make an impression on fans, and let's be honest here, a vast majority of football fans in Australia follow the A-League, not the state leagues, then it has to be played mostly concurrent with the A-League season. Next season only the Semis and Final will be played after the A-League starts.

Playing the competition so early means most A-League fans won-t be in 'football mode' and won't give two hoots about the cup - less TV ratings, lower crowds.

If they want the state league teams to have a bigger impact in the competition then scrap the weighted draw and make it random like every other Cup in the world, also introduce a nationwide round of 44 (add the A-League teams next round to make a round of 32) to give more state league teams the chance to get on a Cup run as well as playing in their season.

Every round after the round of 32 should be played concurrently with the A-League culminating in a February or March final.

Playing it in the pre season will result in A-League teams experimenting with weak squads, tactics and youth players and will prove counter-productive to the competition, put simply; if the clubs don't care, the fans won't.

Personally I think they've hit the nail on the head. Currently the a-league squads train for months without any competitive games (aside from the occassional "glamour" friendly), very doubtful the a-league sides won't field full strength sides IMO.

This extends the football season (whilst not competing with the NRL/AFL), ensures state league clubs are more competitive and fits into a time frame where the winners can go straight into the same seasons Champions League (play off spot I'd dare say) as it's done by November.

Hopefully also see the return of Melbourne v Sydney on Australia Day.

EDIT - a standalone Saturday Grand Final in November is also great, October, November are prime time for football with not much competition. Could get lost in December, January with Big Bash, ODI's and Tennis.

Can't stand South Melb.

I go for both victory and south melbourne as they're in different leagues but that matchup would be something special...I'd have to go for south though if the 2 met as I was a fan about 15 years before MV came allong. Personally I wanna see south melb v Adelaide United...that was going to be the next big Nsl rivalry and would definately pack out lakeside stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sth springvale continue with their giant killing run from last year besting NPL 1 side Box Hill 2-1..Cracking game with Dionisis Lionatos coming off the bench to score 2 on the last 20...
Bentleigh Greens couldn't match last years heroics and got hammered by Ballarat 3-1

South Melbourne 3-1 Melbourne knights

Epic FFA cup qualifying clash, knights lead until roughly the 85th minute, south scored 3 goals in the last 5 minutes to snatch it, the place went absolutely bonkers.

The south player Andy Brennan who has signed for the jets is an absolute machine, played his final match tonight, knights had 2 players on him all night and he still managed to break loose time and time again.

There was a big result last week when Sunday Amatuer Premier side Gwelup beat Saturday division 1 side Mandurah city 4-1.

They now have to play Perth which will be no easy feat. Gwelup have ex glory player Steve McGarry playing for them and in red hot form.

Okay this might sound like a dumb question, but how do they choose the venue for the final? Why was last season's cup final in Adelaide and not Perth? Do they toss a coin? I reckon a Saturday night final would be awesome. 28 July is not too far away. Counting down the days.

Okay this might sound like a dumb question, but how do they choose the venue for the final? Why was last season's cup final in Adelaide and not Perth? Do they toss a coin? I reckon a Saturday night final would be awesome. 28 July is not too far away. Counting down the days.

IIRC the rationale given last season is that it would maximise TV audiences to have it in Adelaide as opposed to Perth.

IIRC the rationale given last season is that it would maximise TV audiences to have it in Adelaide as opposed to Perth.

Sure, that makes sense because of Perth's time difference. So what happen's next season if Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC meet in the final? Who hosts it?

To be honest, it wasn't fairly done. Adelaide may have had better attendances that season than Glory but it should have been based on table position or drawn out of a hat.

The cup isn't at the stage where they can have a neutral venue like wembley stadium or the champions league final and have fans from both trams actually fly over etc.

Draw for the Round of 32 is done. Well done on Sorrento getting a big fish in Sydney FC.

FFA Cup Round of 32 draw is:
Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory
Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix
Western Sydney Wanderers v Brisbane Roar
Croydon Kings (SA) v Lions FC (QLD)
Hume City (VIC) v Brisbane Strikers (QLD)
Blacktown City (NSW) v MetroStars (SA)
Rockdale City Suns (NSW) v Perth SC (WA)
Oakleigh Cannons (VIC) v Far North Queensland Heat (QLD)
Palm Beach Sharks (QLD) v South Melbourne (VIC)
Sydney United (NSW) v South Hobart (TAS)
Gungahlin United (ACT) v Sydney Olympic (NSW)
Broadmeadow Magic (Northern NSW) v Heidelberg United (VIC)
Darwin Olympic (NT) v Adelaide United
Sorrento FC (WA) v Sydney FC
Balmain Tigers (NSW) v Melbourne Victory
Edgeworth FC (Northern NSW) v Melbourne City

Draw for the Round of 32 is done. Well done on Sorrento getting a big fish in Sydney FC.

FFA Cup Round of 32 draw is:
Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory
Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix
Western Sydney Wanderers v Brisbane Roar
Croydon Kings (SA) v Lions FC (QLD)
Hume City (VIC) v Brisbane Strikers (QLD)
Blacktown City (NSW) v MetroStars (SA)
Rockdale City Suns (NSW) v Perth SC (WA)
Oakleigh Cannons (VIC) v Far North Queensland Heat (QLD)
Palm Beach Sharks (QLD) v South Melbourne (VIC)
Sydney United (NSW) v South Hobart (TAS)
Gungahlin United (ACT) v Sydney Olympic (NSW)
Broadmeadow Magic (Northern NSW) v Heidelberg United (VIC)
Darwin Olympic (NT) v Adelaide United
Sorrento FC (WA) v Sydney FC
Balmain Tigers (NSW) v Melbourne Victory
Edgeworth FC (Northern NSW) v Melbourne City
I went and watched Sorrento v Bayswater and Sorrento did really well to exploit Baysie on the counter. As soon as they scored the first goal inside the first minute all they had to do was sit back. Baysie just looked out of ideas despite having much more of the ball. Will be a good test before the Sydney game now.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 FFA Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back