2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't mean we should trade one of Pick 17 or 21 just because he's contracted and risk losing Keays or Hipwood. We need to be like Essendon and do what's best for our football club. Either take our third round pick or we pick him up for free in 12 months time.

Bell's not interested in moving in 12 months time, his Father is sick now and he wants to move now. Third rounder for Bell is robbery.

They done a great job in getting pick 39 for Leuenberger so far.

What magic wand do you think the club could wave to get a higher pick for Leuenberger, given it was incredibly unlikely that Essendon would be trading for him?

So whats the feeling about Bastinac+38+40 for Aish?

Will Aish consider another team than Collingwood?
I'd do that trade. All the talk here is about academy points... Pick 38 + 40 is close to 900 points, plus Bastinac. I'd say that's a good deal for Brisbane. It would free up pick 21 for other deals (like Bell, or whatever else we can turn it into).

Tell North to start talking to Pickers... but given north just traded in Jed Anderson do they really also want Aish? Added to that they just traded themselves out of the 1st and 3rd round of the draft. Giving away 2 x2ndround picks would take them out of the draft entirely. This is supposed to be shallow draft, but still it's unusual for clubs to entirely be out of the first 4 rounds...

Bell is a contracted player. We can't expect him to be free just because his old man is sick.

Didn't say free and I was specific in saying not a garbage pick either. All Im saying is I think we could probably get these players with later picks

Didn't say free and I was specific in saying not a garbage pick either. All Im saying is I think we could probably get these players with later picks
I would expect Yarran to still be traded. I think a 3 way trade with Bell, Astbury, Yarran, pick 21 and whatever other pick exchange to balance things up is likely.

Why can't we work with Hawthorn, who have two top twenty picks available,and Whitecross ? See Banana Boots on Other trade thread.

How exactly can we work with Hawthorn? What do we have that they want and what do they have that we want?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're just discussing this trade in SEN (or something close). Something about Richmond needing an additional 1st round pick for Yarran so Brisbane's 17 could make that happen. Brisbane 17/21 is only going to go on an academy selection anyway so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. If we're really. That tight for points then Carlton/Richmond could throw in a pick or 2 in the 50's / 60's to make up the extra 100 or so points from 17 to 21.
It seems good on paper, and as long as you get your academy players then it's all good. I'd just be disappointed we have to lose Astbury, who I would rather be in our team than Chaplin, in order to land Yarran. Astbury is a good player, as long as he is over his injuries. To land him and Bell for 17/21 is a bargain.

They're just discussing this trade in SEN (or something close). Something about Richmond needing an additional 1st round pick for Yarran so Brisbane's 17 could make that happen. Brisbane 17/21 is only going to go on an academy selection anyway so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. If we're really. That tight for points then Carlton/Richmond could throw in a pick or 2 in the 50's / 60's to make up the extra 100 or so points from 17 to 21.
Think you may as well ask for Blues 4th pick and Bell in exchange for 21. 21 is the same points as 31 + 55. You won't use the pick you'll use the points. Blues more inclined to trade for that.

Food for thought.

This is the key point - in this supposedly weaker draft early picks are more valuable for all other teams (bar gws, syd), whereas provided we have enough points it doesn't matter how we pay for keays and hipwood and maybe William- third and fourth round picks are equally as valuable if we only plan on using 3-4 picks.

That means we can use earlier picks to get contracted players without suffering - so while astbury and bell probably aren't objectively worth the pick we will use, it doesn't matter because we can pick up the academy kids and schache regardless provided we bring in sufficient later picks through other deals.

I might be a little naive in my understanding of the process, but I really do not see the club screwing up the drafting of home grown talent. I've said it before, but you can absolutely guarantee that the club knows a ball park figure of how many points it needs to make Hipwood and Keays Brisbane players. Any trading will be being conducted with these two in mind at a minimum.

Pick 33 for Docherty is robbery and Docherty will become a better player then Bell by the time he is 24.
you talk about players as if they are chess pieces, just chill on the hypotheticals..

If you look at the current teams track record (which does not include GH5) they are elite. last 2 drafts have been spot on (bar Aish but hes just a little prick as it turns out) and we absolutely smashed last year's trade period. The club understand the importance of the academy boys, all Shwab and Swann have said all season, If it comes down to academy boy or Bastinac they will go academy every time..

if anything Bastinac may just be the Crisp of the deal, allowing us to get the second rd picks we want for Aish.

The thing is though hombre, due to our priority to secure picks for academy boys, there will be tooing and froing right up until the deadline on thursday so dont hold your breath.. just write up some possible best 22s with all options for us instead..

Think you may as well ask for Blues 4th pick and Bell in exchange for 21. 21 is the same points as 31 + 55. You won't use the pick you'll use the points. Blues more inclined to trade for that.

Food for thought.

This is kinda the key. To match an academy player bid, we dont need a high pick. Doesnt matter if it is a first round pick or 3 3rd round picks as lonv as the points match. There is scope there for academy clubs to take advantage and trade higher up draft picks down the draft orderfor a combination of picks worth more points.

you talk about players as if they are chess pieces, just chill on the hypotheticals..

If you look at the current teams track record (which does not include GH5) they are elite. last 2 drafts have been spot on (bar Aish but hes just a little prick as it turns out) and we absolutely smashed last year's trade period. The club understand the importance of the academy boys, all Shwab and Swann have said all season, If it comes down to academy boy or Bastinac they will go academy every time..

if anything Bastinac may just be the Crisp of the deal, allowing us to get the second rd picks we want for Aish.

The thing is though hombre, due to our priority to secure picks for academy boys, there will be tooing and froing right up until the deadline on thursday so dont hold your breath.. just write up some possible best 22s with all options for us instead..
It's nothing personal to Calrton, but we have Picks 39 & 40. I rather use those two picks to orchestrate a deal. It's in the best interest our our club to hold onto pick 17 & 21.

It's nothing personal to Calrton, but we have Picks 39 & 40. I rather use those two picks to orchestrate a deal.
makes sense but as others have mentioned and i will reiterate, the points system and 20% discount work hugely to our favour.. we can use high picks to trade in the experienced players we want, trade Aish out for 2 picks between 25-40 and then use those to pick up academy boys.. the path is set, just look a little deeper..

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-trade-period-2015-day-five-live-20151015-gkaj3r.html

This is just in from Michael Gleeson andEmma Quayle

Collingwood is closing in on deals to secure Adam Treloar, Jeremy Howe and James Aish through a series of intertwined trades after the Brisbane Lions mellowed on their stance that they would not trade Aish.

Aish toured the Magpies facilities on the Yarra on Friday as the Magpies entered negotiations with the Lions and Carlton over a three way trade involving Tom Bell moving to the Lions and Collingwood trading the Blues a second round pick.

Collingwood and Melbourne were also locked in negotiations over what could become a multi-club deal for Jeremy Howe to move to Collingwood, Jimmy Toumpas to move to Port Adelaide, Paul Seedsman to Adelaide and Ben Kennedy to the Demons. A complicated exchange of second and third round draft picks is also involved in the mega deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back