2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about cost and availability though. I'd love Buddy and a 23 year old Wayne Carey but I don't think that will happen. Schulz if we get him will be cheap to trade but will be a valuable member of our team for at least 2-3 years.

Ok I'll ask why would Schulz want to leave his home State?...also he is starting to get his fair share of injuries

Yeah it feels like some people think last trade period was the norm not the exception.

We still aren't a destination club, and we can't look gift horses in the mouth.

Gift horse or Trojan horse...

Yes, but when we don't get any of Dixon, Rance, Hawkins, Henderson or Carlisle which is probably what will happen, what do we do then?

Invest in Freeman, Close, Paine, Smith, Bourke, McStay & Hammelmann

Who? Are they Free Agents?

In all seriousness we can go out and purchase the best free agent forward KPP's going around...IMO aint going to do us any good if supply to them isn't happening..For years, like many of us on here, I've watched us absolutely crucify Brownie one of the greatest CHF's..I'd rather we develop our own forwards and spend on improving the supply up the ground...

..I'd rather we develop our own forwards and spend on improving the supply up the ground...

Problem is that we've been trying to develop our tall forward stocks over the past 5 seasons and are in the same position now as we were back then - close to square one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that we've been trying to develop our tall forward stocks over the past 5 seasons and are in the same position now as we were back then - close to square one.

Yep totally agree... The problem "trying to develop"... Yep they haven't come on... maybe we need to look why the development works at other clubs and is not working at ours and fix it..

Yep totally agree... The problem "trying to develop"... Yep they haven't come on... maybe we need to look why the development works at other clubs and is not working at ours and fix it..

If you consider the age of our core group of players then its quickly getting to a stage where acquiring and using more draft picks is unlikely to help. Its also quickly getting to the stage where progressing on faith, expectation and hope in the current players we have is fraught with danger.

If the rumours are true i'm glad we're going after or considering Shulz. Shows we have a contingency plan in place and are doing our due diligence. Not just putting all of our effort into one player which is make or break.

I could be wrong but if I was developing a team I would highly pay the best key position talent identifier a three year contract to stock the cupboard. I would then get of hold the best midfield talent identifier available. I am not sure if our team is structured in such a manner - as in having key identifiers for specific position in the team. Costly maybe but not sure if we have ever considered this approach.

If you consider the age of our core group of players then its quickly getting to a stage where acquiring and using more draft picks is unlikely to help. Its also quickly getting to the stage where progressing on faith, expectation and hope in the current players we have is fraught with danger.

If the rumours are true i'm glad we're going after or considering Shulz. Shows we have a contingency plan in place and are doing our due diligence. Not just putting all of our effort into one player which is make or break.

It's a good point...Nothing wrong with due diligence if you honestly feel that Schulz fills that void, we will agree to disagree on that ...To be honest I have little faith in the development of our players and don't believe that a buy in of the caliber of Schulz will fix our forward problem more likely it will stay the same...If that's the case then I'd prefer to get the supply up the ground better...It is disappointing, we acknowledge that our development isn't working yet as a club we continue down the same path year after year...Nothing shits me more when we lose a player to another club, just as cash strapped as ours only to see them blossom at their new club...now that irks me something chronic...We are becoming another Carlton...a club that goes out and purchases talent in the hope of a quick fix...

...(i) and don't believe that a buy in of the caliber of Schulz will fix our forward problem more likely it will stay the same...(ii) If that's the case then I'd prefer to get the supply up the ground better...

(i) I wouldn't see the acquisition of Schulz as anything more than a temporary fix. Essentially buying time and hoping he'll help fast-track the development of some of our younger guys.

(ii) Problem with this is, you can have the supply but even some of the best will struggle if there isn't a functioning forward line. Conversely a good forward line can make sometimes shoddy supply look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back