List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok , the Jed wash up .....
At the start of the year just like most of us the club had hoped he was our next Mid , but as the BH year rolled on something started to go down . His mid field time was becoming far less and his time Fwd far more . Then he was spending far larger chunks of time on the pine even to a point at times not returning after 3/4 time .
So I chased it up , and without going to deep it had become obvious that his body won't allow him to play mid , lower back spasms, cramping , tighening of the hammy's etc all stuff the club tried to sort all year with no positive results .
Imo Jed is now a small fwd who can swing a game on sheer talent , not an elite midfielder as we had hoped , and being we have a number of quality small Fwds I suspect he and the club saw the benefits of a trade for the right results.
He can play , we all know that , but he's not what we need to regenerate this list .
Hope this helps enlighten many here disappointed in his trade out .
Thanks for that Dash. Explains a lot. Makes the trade hurt more bearable

At the start of the year just like most of us the club had hoped he was our next Mid , but as the BH year rolled on something started to go down . His mid field time was becoming far less and his time Fwd far more . Then he was spending far larger chunks of time on the pine even to a point at times not returning after 3/4 time .
So I chased it up , and without going to deep it had become obvious that his body won't allow him to play mid , lower back spasms, cramping , tighening of the hammy's etc all stuff the club tried to sort all year with no positive results .
Imo Jed is now a small fwd who can swing a game on sheer talent , not an elite midfielder as we had hoped , and being we have a number of quality small Fwds I suspect he and the club saw the benefits of a trade for the right results.
He can play , we all know that , but he's not what we need to regenerate this list .

Also makes sense that he wants to play AFL sooner rather than later, may not have as long a career as people have been projecting.

Thanks for the great write up. From an unemotional point of view I completely agree with Hawthorn trading Anderson. From an emotional point of view though it is going to be sad seeing him wear different colours next year.

The fact that we seem interested in trading 15 and 18 for 8 makes me think we are keen on Rioli in the draft. After his combine, teams will circle and he will go in the top 15 so wouldn't surprise me if that was our interest in the pick swaps
Rioli isn't worth a pick in the top 20, if he didnt have that last name he wouldnt be getting a mention.

The fact that we seem interested in trading 15 and 18 for 8 makes me think we are keen on Rioli in the draft. After his combine, teams will circle and he will go in the top 15 so wouldn't surprise me if that was our interest in the pick swaps
I'm keen on seeing if we can grab Balic at 15 and Mathieson at 18. If we really wanted him we would be able to snatch Rioli at 18 but he is more likely to go mid-late second round.

The Hawks won't be trading 15 and 18 for 8. Too unbalanced in the points.

It's legal if they throw in 27 right?
I wonder if we could throw in a number of later picks too to try and get into the later stages of the draft, or pick up a fringe player. Seb Tape has been struggling with game time due to injury, worth a gamble? Maybe with Simpkin to go with Boxer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So HBF, does North (or even other clubs) know of his issues, and obviously both Hawks and Jed thought the same that his time was up with us and it was amicable? ....Effectively Hawks pushing him out.

Know, when and why again did we renew his 1 yr contract - before, during or after know issues?

Imo i had him slated to push for pops possie...having potentially more trix and upside

Edit: q's for HBD, not halfback flanker!

Can Hawthorn pick up an Academy Kid in the Draft, or is it just for GWS / Sydney/Brisbane?
We can make a bid for them with our draft pick when it is our turn. If the academy side doesn't match it (they are given a 25% discount on points required) then he is ours with our pick.

All this talk of Daniel Rioli is doing my head in. Yes he tested well but how many outside winger / running types do we need?? We have this area clearly covered with Hartung / O'Rourke / Hill and Smith. Gunstan and Schoey will also be spending time on the wings in 2016. We need Tough quick inside mids to do the Grunt work. Rioli's name wouldn't even be getting a mention if it wasn't for his name!

I'm really disappointed that we traded Jed. Regardless what Nth does with him I think it's a mistake. I never saw him as a prolific mid getting heaps of touches. I saw him as a seriously talented impact player. Too good to pass up, and very hard to find guys like him. I wonder how his move was received by his close teammates.

Thought I'd leave this here - I found it another part of the forum. Basically, details all the historical draft picks and their games. Interesting looking at pick-success rates.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks

Pick no.6 is cursed. Can we give that to Essendon somehow.
Essendon's picks are already cursed.

Thought I'd leave this here - I found it another part of the forum. Basically, details all the historical draft picks and their games. Interesting looking at pick-success rates.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks

Pick no.6 is cursed. Can we give that to Essendon somehow.
Let's not forget that those stats are a little skewed, in that top-8 picks are generally going to go to bottom-8 teams, meaning they're more likely to go straight into the first 22, compared to picks around 14-16

Hawks will use any early picks to target inside mids ....will even have a double hit if we retain 15 and 18 unless a bone a fide inside mid Steele slides to 15 and then we may change our target at 18 .

Have heard through a fairly good lead that 2 of our recruiters had a dinner date at Mitchell hibbards place.

AFL Website says he came 2nd overall in the beep test, and won the kicking test. Also 3rd in the time trial. Proving his Long distance running and endurance base will grab the attention of clubs.

I believe they are traits the Hawks usually like going by some of our recent draftees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back