List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Stratts is not suited to defending talls, Spangher is injury prone, Brand just had both shoulders reconstructed, Gibbo only has a couple of years left in him and plays his best as a floating spoiler and Heatherly is still a Kiwi experiment. If Frawley goes down we could be in a fair bit of trouble.
But how are we in a different situation to pre 2015? Seem to recall two flags then. Lake has been replaced by Frawley. Spang is still Spang. Schoey is being replaced by Brand. I really don't want Schoey back but he certainly can go back there if we are desperate??

Don't get the stress with it tbh

I know that we we got through a number of 'project ruckmen' a few years, back, most only lasting a year or so but providing valuable back up but it's interesting that both Hale and McEvoy were both very high draft picks you almost wonder whether it's a model that's being followed. Big men take more time to develop and rucks are the biggest of the big men, let other clubs draft ones with genuine potential and use up a few years on their list in development time then strike when they're reaching their peak.

If it's not a model then it should be!

Bailey went reasonably high and with all his injuries we didn't get our return for a long time and even then it in terms of games played it was a pretty poor return although playing in a flag winning side obviously makes it all worthwhile but his career shows the benefit of taking the opposite approach.

Our ruckmen in this 3 peat dynasty went for picks 7,9 and 18 but for the first 2 we allowed other clubs to kindly develop them for about 9 and 5 years, whilst we had to wait a good 5 or 6 years for our own one to offer anything back.

Of course Ceglar is looking pretty good as a cheap pick up.

Pittonet didn't go super high but wasn't he the second highest ruck selected in his draft? Although he looked like someone that could potentially be ready to play AFL (physically anyway) a lot sooner than most, which may have played a part in the decision to take him.

FA makes it even less attractive to take rucks in the draft, as by the time they're hitting their straps you could lose them for nothing....probably unrestricted too. I seem to remember it being mentioned in Pittonet's draft that there was a pattern developing for fewer and fewer ruckmen to be taken with high picks so maybe lists managers in general are cottoning on to this or maybe they're becoming worried about their jobs and not wanting to use picks on players that might develop after they've been sacked!
If Pittonet has a good preseason and debuts next year we are looking great with rucks. Cegs and McEvoy are young and we have whathisname for hack up I mean back up

But how are we in a different situation to pre 2015? Seem to recall two flags then. Lake has been replaced by Frawley. Spang is still Spang. Schoey is being replaced by Brand. I really don't want Schoey back but he certainly can go back there if we are desperate??

Don't get the stress with it tbh
Chips replaces Lake but who replaces Chip?

To be fair, Stratts is not suited to defending talls, Spangher is injury prone, Brand just had both shoulders reconstructed, Gibbo only has a couple of years left in him and plays his best as a floating spoiler and Heatherly is still a Kiwi experiment. If Frawley goes down we could be in a fair bit of trouble.
I think the club have made it pretty clear they are quite confident with who we have in our defence and in reserve for 2016.

It's why Lake is playing for Caroline Springs, and I won't be at all surprised if we mound a defense around a bunch of mobile defenders, ala West Coast for large parts of 2015.

I think the club have made it pretty clear they are quite confident with who we have in our defence and in reserve for 2016.

It's why Lake is playing for Caroline Springs, and I won't be at all surprised if we mound a defense around a bunch of mobile defenders, ala West Coast for large parts of 2015.
The only counter argument here is that we went after Carlisle but I still don't think we are wanting for big defenders.

Yeah, however if Chip goes down, now there's no Chip and Lake, so we are 1 down compared to previous, and still with no backup. But same goes if Rough goes down up forward etc

Frawley, Roughead, McEvoy and to a lesser degree Ceglar are super important to the structure.
Hopefully no serious injuries to them

If we could peel away Sidebottom, that would be a good get. May not be that hard if Collingwood continue to recruit promising young midfielders...
None of the promising midfielders that Collingwood has recruited in recent times will push Steele Sidebottom out of the team. He's ahead of them all. Fifth in the Copeland Trophy despite missing seven matches with a broken thumb he suffered in Round 1.
Well how the feck are they going to be able to pay all these guys? Surely our cash would easily surpass the Pie offer? Anyway, one can dream, he is a brilliant player albeit very very outside.
I'm not sure if Hawthorn has more salary cap space than Collingwood, and it's not always about money anyway as James Aish and Jeremy Howe showed, who were offered more elsewhere. Richmond offered Adam Treloar more too. Steele Sidebottom's contested possession numbers don't suggest that he's "very, very outside." He wins a fair amount of the footy.

None of the promising midfielders that Collingwood has recruited in recent times will push Steele Sidebottom out of the team. He's ahead of them all. Fifth in the Copeland Trophy despite missing seven matches with a broken thumb he suffered in Round 1.
I'm not sure if Hawthorn has more salary cap space than Collingwood, and it's not always about money anyway as James Aish and Jeremy Howe showed, who were offered more elsewhere. Richmond offered Adam Treloar more too. Steele Sidebottom's contested possession numbers don't suggest that he's "very, very outside." He wins a fair amount of the footy.
Behind only Gibson (north) and Birchall for % of possesions outside in the AFL,,,

EDIT: Season 2014

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only counter argument here is that we went after Carlisle but I still don't think we are wanting for big defenders.
To me that seemed like a cheeky shot, that we never really thought would come off. But was worth a punt..
Just the way it seemed to me

Behind only Gibson (north) and Birchall for % of possesions outside in the AFL,,,
This year maybe, but that was more of the role Sidebottom was given. He had 129 contested possessions, and 299 uncontested possessions. Last year though, he had 181 contested possessions, and 314 uncontested possessions

Not suggesting that they're going to push him out, but they're going to need game time and they're going to need increasingly higher salaries, which may mean more rests and lower contracts for the established mids. I doubt that Pendlebury or Swan are going to agree to lower salaries, so it's usually the middle-range, B-grade players like Sidebottom that squeeze out.

Hawthorn list changes
Arrivals

Jack Fitzpatrick (trade)

Conor Glass (Category B International Rookie)

Departures

Brian Lake (retired)

David Hale (retired)

Matt Suckling (free agency)

Jed Anderson (trade)

Jonathan Simpkin (delisted)

Sam Grimley (delisted)

Alex Woodward (delisted)

Jared Hardisty (delisted)

Rookie upgrade

Kurt Heatherley (Category B International Rookie)

cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back